Alternator whine

procharger

We are in a constant battle with this problem on our planes due to high utilization. The whine is either a loose connection to the capacitor, or it's failing itself. Second cause that we've had was a voltage regulator going bad, and you can see the voltage acting a little unusual (lower than normal) if it starts whining.

These usually fix the problem, and over time as the parts begin to fail, we have to fix them again...

If you are experimental, chanik has recommended a beefy screw terminal capacitor that works very very well.

Was the whine electrical in nature and in the headset or an outside the headset whine? If it was outside the headset it is most likely a wind leak up around the wing root. If it is in the headset then check the connections on the back of the radio tray.

A good test is whether the whine shifts frequency with engine RPM. Losing the cap will do it for sure. Incidentally, that Kemet cap is fine for SLSA as well. It meets ROtax specs and they do not call out anything specific.

If it's outside the headset then I would look for an air leak first. Make sure the wing root gap is taped from all the way over the top and all the way back on the bottom. Make sure the tape is not cracked. If that's good then check the front edge of the cabin doors. Whether this is where the noise is coming from or not I don't know, but I bet you do have a leak there. The common noise problem is usually the wing root gap.

If it's in the headset then check to make sure a lead is not broken off the capacitor. The second place I hear from people with headset noise is a bad wire on the back of the radio tray. Also tighten all ground wires in the engine compartment and behind the panel on the passenger side. These couple of items should be a reasonable place to start.

If it's outside the headset then I would look for an air leak first. Make sure the wing root gap is taped from all the way over the top and all the way back on the bottom. Make sure the tape is not cracked. If that's good then check the front edge of the cabin doors. Whether this is where the noise is coming from or not I don't know, but I bet you do have a leak there. The common noise problem is usually the wing root gap.

I had a loose piece of gap seal tape on the wing root last year.  When I hit 110 knots it sounded like the world was ending, scared the hell out of me.

But the alternator light coming on when this happens is troubling.

Archived