Possible Flight Plan changes

CT4ME

I guess that depends on whether the inclinometer is metric, SAE or degrees*!

*Seriously, who came up with 360º in a circle? Live would be so much easier with 100º!

What I have read is that 360 is approximately the number of days in a year, and if you are an ancient mathematician from Egypt or Greece tracking stars through the sky seasonally, it makes perfect sense to use a daily delineation to track a star/planet/whatever through the heavens. 

What with metric, inches, pounds or kilograms, confusion about the number of degrees in a circle, days in a week and the angle of dangle….no wonder the European LSA manufacturers have some delays!! Not to excuse them but….

Oops…didn't we have that topic? D'oh…sorry!

P.S. Ian I think pints stuck for beer as it's definitely odd to order a gill, or even a peck…pint is better. In USA you have a long-neck or regular bottle, and it has to be ICE-cold. Oh no…now I've started the 'you English like warm beer huh?" argument!  No, not warm…some beer like bitter is served at 'cellar-temperature' not 'warm'.

Why is life so complicated?

AND - why SEVEN days in a week?

The French did try to change it.....

http://www.napoleon.org:81/en/essential_napoleon/calendar/index.asp

Because you had to allow for..the weekend! D'uuh!

Besides think of the number of Dynon revisions if they change it all!

And…because there are 14 days in a fortnight. And if you cut the number of days (a metric week?) then there would be no fortnight, although there is't one in the USA because they don't know what it is.

The French don't NEED a weekend because they take lunch from 12-till- 4 so they take the same time in smaller bits. Napoloeon got so annoying we had to defeat him and send him to a remote island to stop him complaining. :D

I'm guessing that was set in the Bible for the Judeo-Christian world, and adopted since by the rest through conquest. :)

It was common in the ancient middle east and the Romans used it. The actual origins are uncertain.

Five would work better although I am guessing a two day weekend after three days of work might not go over with many employers.

Interesting that by their names, September, October, November and December should be the seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth months respectively.

Know how they got shifted ahead by two?

I recalled just reading about this so I checked my file. 

It's aEurope thing. Um…is this going to be on the exam? :wacko:

The original Roman year had 10 named months Martius "March", Aprilis "April", Maius "May", Junius "June", Quintilis "July", Sextilis "August", September "September", October "October",November "November", December "December", and probably two unnamed months in the dead of winter when not much happened in agriculture. The year began with Martius "March". Numa Pompilius, the second king of Rome circa 700 BC, added the two months Januarius "January" and Februarius "February". He also moved the beginning of the year from Marius to Januarius and changed the number of days in several months to be odd, a lucky number. After Februarius there was occasionally an additional month of Intercalaris "intercalendar". This is the origin of the leap-year day being in February. In 46 BC, Julius Caesar reformed the Roman calendar (hence the Julian calendar) changing the number of days in many months and removing Intercalaris.

Thanks - I actually misremembered it a bit.

I knew it was 10 months but thought Juilius Caesar and Caeser Augustus inserted July and August to commemorate themselves.

I stand corrected!

Eddie,

I confess…I googled it! :(    mea culpa!  (Hey, that's Latin!)

Another right winger nonsense comment.

On your very first post you are going to complain about right wing comments?

You promised to keep doing this, no matter how many Id's it takes?

Because you don't agree with conservative views doesn't mean we have to be 'called out' for being conservative.

Guest iwtsj

Yes, let's just censor anyone who is not a right-winger.   Don't let anyone with another view point respond to your right wing rhetoric.  Stop making right wing comments and I'll stop responding to them.  Simple concept.

Archived