Bellcrank bolt loose for stabilator control rod

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anticept,

I think you might be right. (Similar to that King Air aileron TE bump). An important point to take away might be, that some things that don't make obvious sense, or seem inconsequential might have a very important impact on the safe operation of the aircraft. I personally think that things like this should be in mind whenever someone thinks that their purposed alteration is "minor". Don't worry about those pesky little "what-ever's". Just alter-away.

Doug Hereford

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of trim tabs...

The trim tab on the elevator of the Skycatcher has right angle extensions on both the top and bottom of the trailing edge.

Best photo I can find:754440.jpg

Seems inefficient, and I can't figure out the purpose.

Anyone?

That is a Gurney flap. Increases the pressure differential and keeps the boundary layer attached for more efficiency. Used upside down on race cars for downforce.

That is a Gurney flap. Increases the pressure differential and keeps the boundary layer attached for more efficiency. Used upside down on race cars for downforce.

It's great to learn something new!

Thanks!

Still trying to wrap my brain around how they work, though!

Come to think of it, the bottom side of the Huey (UH-1) horizontal stabilizer had one of those. It protruded down (on the bottom surface, at the trailing edge) about 1/2 inch.
Maybe sandpiper can chime in on that also.
How about it John?

The wiki article mentions double Gurneys. Has an image of one on a helicopter tail plane.

Seems like they would cancel out and just increase drag, but apparently they can be effective in both directions.

Says they do generally increase drag, but with some fat airfoils may actually decrease it.

Weird.

Come to think of it, the bottom side of the Huey (UH-1) horizontal stabilizer had one of those. It protruded down (on the bottom surface, at the trailing edge) about 1/2 inch.

Maybe sandpiper can chime in on that also.

How about it John?

Bill,

I haven't flown a Huey since 1978. Thats 37 years. I just don't remember. Sorry. I looked for some pictures but came up blank.

Bill,

I haven't flown a Huey since 1978. Thats 37 years. I just don't remember. Sorry. I looked for some pictures but came up blank.

Thanks anyway John.  I instructed on it for many years and vividly remember it.  Last flight 1988.

Looking forward to meeting you in person at Page this year. . . . :)

Archived