Coolant quandry

FastEddieB

You're in a little different situation than I am. You have multiple pilots with different skill levels.

I'm the only one that touches my plane for maint. or flying.

So to answer your question no I don't pull the cowl every flight.

I do how ever make sure the rubber band is wound tight for the extended cruise.  :lol:

You're in a little different situation than I am. You have multiple pilots with different skill levels.

I'm the only one that touches my plane for maint. of flying.

So to answer your question no I don't pull the cowl every flight.

I do how ever make sure the rubber band is wound tight for the extended cruise.  :lol:

Same here, if my CT was flown by other pilots I would pull the cowl every flight.

I teach my students to remove the top cowling for pre flight inspection.

Why? 

Did you know the cowling on the FD will crack over time if removed improperly?  And the spring fasteners come loose also.  If leaking oil you will see it on the radiator, or you can feel it if you run your finger inside the upper lip of the radiator opening.  Or it will make it all the way to the nose gear fairing.  

The critical preflight checks that some skip at their peril are burping, gascolator (water), dipping the tanks, four-corner stick check, careful elevator check, and a proper mag check.

All the items that need to be checked on the engine preflight are visible thru the cowling access door.  

Why? 

Did you know the cowling on the FD will crack over time if removed improperly?  And the spring fasteners come loose also.  If leaking oil you will see it on the radiator, or you can feel it if you run your finger inside the upper lip of the radiator opening.  Or it will make it all the way to the nose gear fairing.  

The critical preflight checks that some skip at their peril are burping, gascolator (water), dipping the tanks, four-corner stick check, careful elevator check, and a proper mag check.

All the items that need to be checked on the engine preflight are visible thru the cowling access door.  

Why? Because teaching them the correct way to do it is the right thing to do.

Isn't it great being advised by an expert?

Just for information here is the REAL Flight Design pre-flight check list. Item 44 may just be of interest !

check2.jpg

One bad thing about the checklist is they don't tell you to put the cowling back on. :mellow:

Lets take a poll.  How many here remove the engine cowling before EACH flight?  Remember, your answer is very important to Ian, so be honest.

Do                      Do Not

X

each ..FIRST.. flight of the day

Do you forgo a preflight if you let the plane sit on the ramp while you go in and take a dump?  What is your limit on time not viewing the plane before trusting it is airworthy for the next flight?  For instance, I burp the plane and do a mag check as well as a walk around after going in for lunch or a bathroom break.  EVERYTIME.  But I never remove the cowling unless i suspect an oil leak or do an oil change.

Do you forgo a preflight if you let the plane sit on the ramp while you go in and take a dump?  What is your limit on time not viewing the plane before trusting it is airworthy for the next flight?  For instance, I burp the plane and do a mag check as well as a walk around after going in for lunch or a bathroom break.  EVERYTIME.  But I never remove the cowling unless i suspect an oil leak or do an oil change.

My CT instructor taught that "the best pre-flight is a previous flight".  First flight of the day I do a full pre-flight.  Subsequent flights the same day, I will do a good walk around and open the oil door to look for leaks.

Why burp the engine every time?  If you burp the engine once on the first flight of the day and the level is good, you will be fine.  If you leak enough oil to matter between flights, you will see it on the airplane somewhere.  It doesn't just evaporate.  You can pull the dipstick to make sure the level is on the stick (hot mine's on the flat or just below it).  Burping serves no real purpose though, IMO.

My CT instructor taught that "the best pre-flight is a previous flight".  First flight of the day I do a full pre-flight.  Subsequent flights the same day, I will do a good walk around and open the oil door to look for leaks.

Why burp the engine every time?  If you burp the engine once on the first flight of the day and the level is good, you will be fine.  If you leak enough oil to matter between flights, you will see it on the airplane somewhere.  It doesn't just evaporate.  You can pull the dipstick to make sure the level is on the stick (hot mine's on the flat or just below it).  Burping serves no real purpose though, IMO.

I was taught that a plane out of sight is a risk to a PIC (and any passenger).  Once out of sight knowledge of the condition of the plane is lost.  A quick walk around seems prudent, but its personal choice. As is taking the cowl off, which when I asked why that was needed was told by a Rotax mechanic that its a mystery why that's in the POH and is unnecessary especially considering how flimsy the cowl is and how finicky the fasteners are....

The burping does more than setup an oil level check.  As you likely know.

The Rotax 912 doesn't have a scavenger pump to return oil to the sump. So turning the prop in the direction of rotation pushing air pressure past the piston rings to force the oil back into the sump ensures oil is pumped through the rest of the system, particularly the valve train.  Something Id like to make sure of before starting anytime the plane has sat off for any period of time.

I will also do a mag check if the plane was shutoff, even if the engine is warm.

I have seen at last one Rotax owner forgo burping entirely, even in a cold engine.  Something I believe is imprudent.

It's a dry sump system. Burping moves oils FROM the engine, TO the external oil tank. You are moving engine oil away from the engine, not to it...

A mag check is mandatory for me before every takeoff. I have done a rolling mag check before, but I always do a mag check. It's too easy and the consequences of a failed ignition too serious to skip it.

Like I said before, the cowling comes off for pre flight on the first flight of the day. I teach my students that it should come off as well. I may not burp after it has set for a hour or two, but I will pull the prop through 4-5 blades to make sure there is no hydrolock.

Archived