Glasair Merlin makes it's first flight

Top Cat

There is NOTHING cluimsy about a stoke.  It is preferable to many people.  45" cabin is plenty wide unless you are overweigh.  It looks like a nice alternative for the many people who DO NOT WANT a Flight Design.

Hi Bob!

The skycatcher's version of a stoke is very weird. See here, 6 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XQl0M-quYw#t=6s. The side to side movement, and the positioning of the stoke, means there is a lot of arm movement. I feel as though I would much prefer a regular yoke, or a stick, as I can rest my arm while making small course corrections. I don't know if I would call it clumsy, but I do know that I feel uncomfortable just watching where they have to position their arms for grip. If I may ask, in flight, how possible is it to just use a single finger to move the controls without moving my arm around? If the answer is yes, I don't think I'll be bothered by it as much then :)

Looking at the video, it sure appears the grip moves almost exactly like a floor mounted stick would.

As such, you'd typically rest your forearm on your thigh and for most normal flying little hand movement would be required. I had my hands on one in flight briefly and it felt, well, perfectly normal.

Remember, in the video they appear to be taking the stoke to full deflection. A yoke also moves quite a bit doing the same thing.

My preference is currently a side stick, which my Cirrus had and my Sky Arrow now has. Next would be a regular stick. Then a stoke and finally a yoke.

But That's Just Me!

Roger, ever work on one?

I have done the annual on the one in Arizona a couple times and have been training the student owner recently.  Its a nice flying airplane, huge cabin, little heavy and less performance than an LS.  It has BRS and a D100/120 setup, no autopilot and weighs in around 870lbs empty.

How many hours do you have in a SkyCatcher?  I have a bunch and the stoke is great.  There is absolutely no negative with it in my opinion.  Most people who find fault have little or no time in it such as the Cheeseburger guy.  The stoke flies like a stick in most part 23 aircraft I have ever flown.  No, it is not a wrist action.

None, that's why I ask.

I am a bit biased that it's a cessna product though. It's a long story, but just put it this way: cessna are a bunch of Ds.

I have done the annual on the one in Arizona a couple times and have been training the student owner recently.  Its a nice flying airplane, huge cabin, little heavy and less performance than an LS.  It has BRS and a D100/120 setup, no autopilot and weighs in around 870lbs empty.

Thanks Eric.

Archived