Sign off's

Roger Lee

By the way, I don't think you are supposed to check the magplug as an owner. Not sure :)

I would think this from the list of preventive maintenance items would count for the magnetic plug.

(29) Removing, checking, and replacing magnetic chip detectors.

Yes you can inspect the magnetic oil plug as an owner because it is part of that owner allowed maint.. It is a requirement from one of the Rotax SB's for an oil change to be done every oil change.

Roger, it is not required at every oil change! Per the SB it is to be done only fro certain serial number engines, and at only at required oil changes.

I know this because as a A&P performing maintenance on Rotax engines I have read the service bulletin.

The mag plug and the oil filter will contain shards of metal from the compression washers that hold the prop clutch inside the gear box.  The only real way to tell short of pulling the prop and cracking the gear box to determine if the compression washers are in trouble is to examine the mag plug and look inside the old oil filter and check for excess shards and take pictures and show a progression of how much metal is being deposited between EACH oil change.

Obviously losing one or more of those washers in flight would be a disaster.

Roger,

I don't know what book you mean. I am referring to the relevant regulations which are current and up to date as of 4/8/15. As far as I know there is no NPRM to change the SLSA operating rules or part 43 to allow or require them to receive Annual or 100 hr. inspections. If this is truly what you believe I would recommend that you call Edsel immediately.

Also, your citation of 14 CFR part43.11(a)(7) is also not applicable. This rule applies to aircraft on approved inspection programs. SLSA get a condition inspection, the procedures of which are FAA accepted.

Or maybe I have some how misunderstood what you are saying.

Again, 14 CFR part 43.15© does not apply to SLSA. That is IAW the most current regulatory information available as far as I know.

These rules have been in place since LSA. No gaps to bridge.

Doug Hereford

We aren't progressing with our conversation. Time to call it quits on these subjects. It's just become a he said she said that has lots of personal preferences on top of it. If no one else is going to do the secretary work and phone work these discussions will have no closure or can't be resolved. The info is out there and you may just have to look back much further than you thought

(5-10 years) and places you haven't looked yet or forget what you learned a few years ago and seek out new info. Edsel gave FAA legal readings, CFR's and websites to read on the new legal interps.

Class teachings don't always align with manuals either because manuals take too long to change and info gets out much quicker by SB, SI, SA or for simple things update schools.

Here is a simple example. It is the carb sync instructions in the maint. manual that was just changed last year or so.

It said to rotate the idle stop screw on the carb counterclockwise to increase rpm and clockwise to decrease rpm.

Now who really did this, but people tried to follow these instructions.

This drove some nuts with tons of complaints. It only took about 8 years to change..

Yes, Roger, those are the words I have used for inspections. I was not looking at my logbook or the sheet attached to my special airworthiness certificate. (My plane is the only one I work on so my last inspection was almost one year ago. Sorry.

My question, however, is when do I need to use this, and when do I not. Is it only on100hr./yearly inspections? Or do I need to use "...condition for safe operation" when I do other maintenance and repair.

(I think you answered this, but I want to be certain.)

Roger,

It is your forum, so I will do whatever you say, but I promise that I will reply anytime I see information posted that I feel is contrary to regulation. I also promise that if my position turns out to be incorrect, I will amend my statements promptly.

I would give you one last recommendation to follow up on these issues with whom ever you trust. I think you my be surprised at what you learn.

Doug Hereford

Archived