New member / Student Pilot

rtk

Hi All,

What a great forum and a wealth of information!  I'm a student pilot headed toward a Sport Pilot Certificate, and possibly onto a Private Pilot Certificate.  (Mostly to be able to fly with my wife and son.)  Although I'm training in another German designed/built, composite aircraft (that is actually quite nice), I am keenly interested in the CTsw... mostly due to baggage doors, storage in cockpit, and current pricing.  Hoping to learn much more from you folks on the forum and... wife willing, an owner one day!

Cheers!

Bob

Hi All,

What a great forum and a wealth of information!  I'm a student pilot headed toward a Sport Pilot Certificate, and possibly onto a Private Pilot Certificate.  (Mostly to be able to fly with my wife and son.)  Although I'm training in another German designed/built, composite aircraft (that is actually quite nice), I am keenly interested in the CTsw... mostly due to baggage doors, storage in cockpit, and current pricing.  Hoping to learn much more from you folks on the forum and... wife willing, an owner one day!

Cheers!

Bob

Welcome aboard Bob.

Have fun and be safe.

Welcome Bob

All the best to you

I have been licensed less than two years now going from a glass cockpit 182 which I trained in to a CT and love her !

With about 30 hours in her of my 350 total time I feel I made a great change as this is a wonderful aircraft

If you find yourself in the Central Valley give me a shout and I will buy you a coffee

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!  It's greatly appreciated and I look forward to meeting the folks on this forum in time.

MrMorden - the "other" aircraft is a Remos GX that I'm training in.  It's a beautiful aircraft and the controls are light, the performance good, and the cockpit is pretty roomy.  (Plenty of shoulder room with my instructor and I in the cockpit.)

I hope to have my sport pilot certificate sometime in June.  I believe a flight school in El Monte, CA has a CTsw for rent, so I'm looking forward to taking it for a good flight.  I have a funny feeling that I'm just fueling the fire to acquire one sooner than later!

Cheers all!

Bob

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!  It's greatly appreciated and I look forward to meeting the folks on this forum in time.

MrMorden - the "other" aircraft is a Remos GX that I'm training in.  It's a beautiful aircraft and the controls are light, the performance good, and the cockpit is pretty roomy.  (Plenty of shoulder room with my instructor and I in the cockpit.)

I hope to have my sport pilot certificate sometime in June.  I believe a flight school in El Monte, CA has a CTsw for rent, so I'm looking forward to taking it for a good flight.  I have a funny feeling that I'm just fueling the fire to acquire one sooner than later!

Cheers all!

Bob

Thanks!  The Remos is a very nice aircraft.  The only two areas I don't like about them are the flimsy aileron interconnect rods, and the tiny baggage space.  Though the airplane I was looking at was a G600, so the GX may be better in those regards.

If you get some CT time, I'd be anxious to hear a comparison of the two airplanes.  From what I've heard the CT is faster, but more challenging to fly and land.

I have yet to meet a pilot, student or otherwise, that was not anxious to get his/her own airplane.  So you're in good company!

Hi Bob.  I flew a Remos GX for a while after getting my LS certificate.  Nice aircraft and the controls were light and balanced. Very easy to land too.  I trained for my LSA with a CTSW.  The thing I noticed immediately when I flew the GX was the very low header at the wing root.  I'm not a tall person - 5' 9" - but when I went to look out the side window, I had to duck down to see out.  Also, the high and square instrument panel restricts view out the front. The other thing that I didn't care for in the Remos was the fuel tank with sloshing fuel behind me.  Guess I got spoiled flying the CTSW due to the excellent visability and wing fuel tanks.  If I hadn't have flown the CTSW for many hours before flying the Remos, I might have bought the Remos.  Just some observations FWIW.

Bob,

Just so you know, the CTSW is different in tail and other small attributes to the CTLS.   And there is a difference between the 912ULS engine with carbs and the newer 912iS fuel injected engine.   You will see how those difference are compared on this board in many threads.

So before you buy, research them both and the various options on the engine and the avionics.

There is also a huge difference in price and some difference in weight between the CTLSi and a CTSW, which also need to be taken into account. Also, if you plan on getting a repairman's license, the carb version is easier and cheaper to work on. (You don't need a special dongle.)

My guess is you will be looking for a used machine if it is an FD it will be a CTSW or CTLS.

Good insights from everyone.  I too have heard that the CTsw is a bit more difficult to land.  I hadn't heard it was more difficult to fly... but am curious to see the difference.

Runtoeat - thanks for the comparison and great insight.  In the Remos, I don't have the wing root issue... at least, none that was readily apparent.  May change my mind if some heavier turbulence has my head contacting that portion of the cockpit though.  Or maybe it was because of my death grip on the stick and fetal-position flying that kept me from noticing the wing root.   :P

I like both the Remos and the FD CT (sw, LS, and LSi) for different reasons, but ultimately, I think I would prefer the CTsw.  I'll have to fly one to be sure... so a rental from El Monte airport is on my list of "things to do."  But the reasons for the preference toward the CTsw were well indicated by 100Hamburger and Doug G... namely cost, payload, baggage space, and carburetor/self-maintenance (in that order.)  That makes the CTsw the front-runner on my interest list.

Perhaps other (and arguably less logical) reasons for putting the Flight Design aircraft at the head of the list are; 1) this forum, and 2) the number of YouTube videos of folks doing more than just circling above a given area.  Seems folks are excited by their FD aircraft (hence all of you fine folk on this forum) and many chronicle their cross country flights on video which, quite frankly, are amazing.

Bob

Bob.

The FD family is opinionated and passionate.  And though you see us argue the fine points of the various models, in reality all FD aircraft are worth the money.  We each chose our models for widely different reasons. 

If you get one, you will not look back.  We were gonna sell our CTLSi because we are in the process of getting a 4-seater.  But we have decided to keep the plane because it really is a ton of fun, and it's still, IMHO, the best LSA made.  Which presents a new problem for us, hangar space.

Good insights from everyone.  I too have heard that the CTsw is a bit more difficult to land.  I hadn't heard it was more difficult to fly... but am curious to see the difference.

I don't mean more difficult per se. But the CTSW is short coupled and quite tail happy. It requires a lot of rudder input to keep it flying coordinated. It also has significant adverse yaw.

• 2 months later...

Hi Bob,

Hello for another SoCal student pilot. Where are you doing your training?  I'm actually doing mine in the CTSW you've mentioned (I've got a little over 40 hours in it now), so if you haven't made it over there yet for a demo, I can always tell you what I know about that particular airplane. I'm out in the vicinity of Cable quite a bit, and am interested in trying out the Remos they've got at Foothill when I finish up (sometime soon, I hope).

Best,

Leanne

Hi All,

Cheers!

Bob

Bob...

The current Flight Design product is the CTLS and the CTLSi   The SW is a much older product.   The difference between the newer models is the engine....in the CTLS the 912ULS carb'd older engine is used.  In the new CTLSi  its the new Rotax 912iS  fuel injected engine. 

There is some difference between a low wing and a high wing LSA,  and between the slower STOL and the 120ktas cruisers.  But as a sport pilot you are restricted to a two-seat LSA, non IMC, VFR, and daytime only and only up to 10,000 feet. 

If you do decide to go for a private pilot license, the major differences in requirement and training are the 3rd class medical exam, a longer cross country, two additional hours of under hood, 3 hours of night flying with 10 full stop landings, and a different written (60 questions instead of 40) and checkride exam. 

But once you have that you will be able to fly four to six seaters.  And if you choose, get an instrument rating to be able to fly in IMC.  And you will be able to take your whole family along on any flight.

If you do decide to go for a private pilot license, the major differences in requirement and training are the 3rd class medical exam, a longer cross country, two additional hours of under hood, 3 hours of night flying with 10 full stop landings, and a different written (60 questions instead of 40) and checkride exam. 

You have been saying this for over a year, and it simply isn't true. There is NO requirement for hood time for a sport pilot like there is for private pilot. There is a requirement for flight training for "Control and maneuvering solely by reference to flight instruments" for solo cross country flight by a student. This does not apply to a sport pilot student, unless they are receiving flight training in a airplane with a Vh of greater than 87 knots. In addition there is no specific amount of training required for the student solo cross country flight, it just states that you must receive training.

You have been saying this for over a year, and it simply isn't true. There is NO requirement for hood time for a sport pilot like there is for private pilot. There is a requirement for flight training for "Control and maneuvering solely by reference to flight instruments" for solo cross country flight by a student. This does not apply to a sport pilot student, unless they are receiving flight training in a airplane with a Vh of greater than 87 knots. In addition there is no specific amount of training required for the student solo cross country flight, it just states that you must receive training.

I didn't say sport and private have the same under hood requirement...i said sport has 1 hour, private has 3 hours under hood.  So, if you get a sport license, you still need TWO MORE HOURS of under hood to satisfy the private requirement.   You do not have to repeat the hour as sport.  Just add two more hours of under hood.

And you have to complete an entire solo 150nm cross country with 3 landing to satisfy the private long cross country solo with at least one segment of 50nm. 

Sport solo is shorter just 75nm with a full-stop landing at a minimum of two points and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 25 nautical miles between takeoff and landing locations.

You cannot add onto the sport cross country to get the private, you have to do the entire long solo cross country all over again.

The above and the night flying are the major differences between sport and private.

You seem to be mixing total hours with these specific requirements.  Total hours for sport can be applied and added to meet the requirements for total hours of private. 

I didn't say sport and private have the same under hood requirement...i said sport has 1 hour, private has 3 hours under hood. So, if you get a sport license, you still need TWO MORE HOURS of under hood to satisfy the private requirement. You do not have to repeat the hour as sport. Just add two more hours of under hood.

And you have to complete an entire solo 150nm cross country with 3 landing to satisfy the private long cross country solo with at least one segment of 50nm.

Sport solo is shorter just 75nm with a full-stop landing at a minimum of two points and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 25 nautical miles between takeoff and landing locations.

You cannot add onto the sport cross country to get the private, you have to do the entire long solo cross country all over again.

The above and the night flying are the major differences between sport and private.

You seem to be mixing total hours with these specific requirements. Total hours for sport can be applied and added to meet the requirements for total hours of private.

Once again, regardless of what you think there is no requirement for any instrument training to get a sport pilot certificate.

Archived