SI-912-016-R8

Rich

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing that should give everyone relief, is the fact that the subject document is a "Service Instruction" from an engine manufacturer. It is not regulatory, and therefore not issued to correct an "unsafe condition".

On a practical note.............someone please show me empirical evidence to support a claim of ANY engine damage that has ever occurred as a result of not following an expiration date on motor oil. I maintain that, that notion is ridiculous!

Or for the spin doctors, show me evidence of any warranty that has ever been denied on the same basis.

These are picky little engines aren't they?

Doug Hereford

After talking it over with them, and giving my opinion on the subject, Absolutely yes. That being said, I might give them a discount on the oil.

Doug Hereford

I would ask you then, have you ever knowingly installed something on a customer's plane that was outside of its expiration date? Did you disclose this to them?

Top Cat - yes, I have read all of the information available about the new oil.  As far as I can tell, the document to "be released soon" is the SI provided in the original post of this thread.  So, the SI to which you refer is, I think, in our possession now. 

Fred,

Sorry, you're right, my mistake! Senior moment…need to 'oil' the brain today! :mellow:

If a licensed mechanic stuck oil past an expiration date in my car or aircraft and I found out about it after the fact, I would have their license.  And I would not okay, nor would I use oil past an expiration date on my own.

It's no different than a mechanic putting used parts on a car and representing that they are new.

What is an expiration date for if not to warn about the quality of a product?  Food, oil, prescription drugs same same....

If a licensed mechanic stuck oil past an expiration date in my car or aircraft and I found out about it after the fact, I would have their license.  And I would not okay, nor would I use oil past an expiration date on my own.

It's no different than a mechanic putting used parts on a car and representing that they are new.

What is an expiration date for if not to warn about the quality of a product?  Food, oil, prescription drugs same same....

Mis-information continues

After talking it over with them, and giving my opinion on the subject, Absolutely yes. That being said, I might give them a discount on the oil.Doug HerefordI would ask you then, have you ever knowingly installed something on a customer's plane that was outside of its expiration date? Did you disclose this to them?

Not knowingly. I recently threw out a bunch of inventory, because it was past its expiration date.

Not knowingly. I recently threw out a bunch of inventory, because it was past its expiration date.

Oil? Literally threw it out?

I'd go ahead and use it in a car or bike if the viscosity was right. Or at least a lawnmower or ATV.

Remember, "Oil is Oil!"™

Mr. 100Hamburger,

Did you "have" the license of the mechanic that installed a Tempest oil filter on your brand new CTLSi?

Yes.  I had that mechanic replace the filter with a Rotax approved and change the oil at his cost and time, which he did willingly.  He also broke open the filter for examination and verified the general condition of the engine at that time. 

The few Tempest filters they had in stock were discarded according to the facility after our discussion.

Since then any work done on the plane is inspected by me at the time of pickup and the mechanic takes the time to explain in detail what was done and how....

Doug Hereford, on 23 Apr 2015 - 4:48 PM, said:snapback.png

After talking it over with them, and giving my opinion on the subject, Absolutely yes. That being said, I might give them a discount on the oil.Doug HerefordI would ask you then, have you ever knowingly installed something on a customer's plane that was outside of its expiration date? Did you disclose this to them?

Oil? Literally threw it out?

I'd go ahead and use it in a car or bike if the viscosity was right. Or at least a lawnmower or ATV.

Remember, "Oil is Oil!"™

If you had read the post you would know that it was in reference to parts installed on a customer aircraft and not oil. I do have a case of Aeroshell 80W that is expired that I need to figure out what I am going to do with it.

If you had read the post you would know that it was in reference to parts installed on a customer aircraft and not oil.

I actually did read the post, and in a thread on oil you said you threw out "inventory".

I assumed in a thread on oil, that "inventory" might have just been oil!

My bad.

But now my curiosity is piqued. What was "inventory" referring to?

I actually did read the post, and in a thread on oil you said you threw out "inventory".

I assumed in a thread on oil, that "inventory" might have just been oil!

My bad.

But now my curiosity is piqued. What was "inventory" referring to?

I threw out a bunch of O-rings that were past their shelf life. I donated some expired covering materials to a non-flying restoration project. I acquired some excess inventory this past summer, and have been sorting it along with items I already had on the shelf. In all the sorting and cleaning I filled the 2 yard dumpster 3-4 times. I still have the other half of the room to clean and sort, but it will have to wait. I need to get caught back up on work, because I lost a good part of the month of March with my mom in the hospital.

I threw out a bunch of old lock washers. Must have gotten brittle since they all had cracks.

On a slightly more serious note, oil can only go bad if exposed to oxygen. It sits deep in the hot earth for 100s of millions of years after all. I think the OEMs are (justifiably) paranoid that an oil quart with a potentially broken seal will, subjected to thermal swings, breathe in and out and slowly oxidize over a several year period. Sealed I would readily use 10yr old oil after a good shake.

My parents went on a 6-month cruise to Mexico many years ago. They had food stuffed in all the cupboards and cubbyholes on their boat. I was out on it a couple months ago and getting kind of hungry. I found a sealed can of fried onions in the back of a cupboard that looked like it would go good with my beer. It was a brand that I recognized from when I was a kid. I opened up the can a started in on it. It smelled rancid and had an unpleasant aftertaste... but I was hungry. About halfway through the can I started feeling nauseous and not all that hungry anymore. So I stopped eating the fried onions and started looking for an expiration date on the can. There wasn't one - which is kind of telling in and of itself. I got on the internet thinking I might be able to figure out the date from the manufacturing number on the can. I found out that the company quit making fried onions in 1993.

So I guess my policy on products that are past their expiration date is to just use what I need, and to stop if I get sick.

Mike

Archived