Never flown through mountains

Doug G.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet you all are encouraged to keep your attention glued to the latest dynasky 9000 device linked to the Ebox 86,000 all systems blinking screen 1, 2, or 3.

I guess I'm just foreign to your ways. 

5500rpm at sea level, 5500rpm at 12,500 is pretty simple even for a simple guy like me.....

there is even a little electric box for that. :mellow:

You need to remember Hamburger's numbers are for the CTLSi with the fuel injected engine.

No. My numbers are from the Flight Design Pilot Operating Handbook which of course came from the guys that designed and built the aircraft.  Apparently a few of you know the aircraft better than the designer/builders.

Btw, you are regulation bound to follow the POH and the placarding in the plane.  I guess the regs are also for lesser pilots.

Btw, you are regulation bound to follow the POH.  I guess the regs are also for lesser pilots.

Incorrect.  Pilots are regulation bound to follow any *limitations* in the POH, not the letter of every procedure or number in the book.  If the ceiling is not listed as a limitation, it holds no regulatory authority.

No. My numbers are from the Flight Design Pilot Operating Handbook which of course came from the guys that designed and built the aircraft.  Apparently a few of you know the aircraft better than the designer/builders.

Btw, you are regulation bound to follow the POH.  I guess the regs are also for lesser pilots.

And your POH is for your airplane which is a CTLSi if I am not mistaken.

BTW you are not required to follow the POH in its entirety, just the operating limitations.

I disagree...I think almost any modern LSA would bust the LSA speed limit with a constant-speed prop.  It's not like Sport Pilots are monkeys and somehow stupider than a Private Pilot.

FastEddie can't put one on his SkyArrow.  The light sport rule prohibits complexity.

We already have ground adjustable props so an in flight adjustable prop won't add any speed.

FastEddie can't put one on his SkyArrow.  The light sport rule prohibits complexity.

We already have ground adjustable props so an in flight adjustable prop won't add any speed.

Oh, I know.  I just mean I think the reason behind the regulation is more about speed than complexity.  

It will add speed...a ground adjustable prop is still only maximally efficient for one condition, usually a compromise.  An in-flight adjustable would be maximally efficient in cruise (as well as all flight conditions) and would certainly pull some knots.  I think the adjustable prop CTs out there are about 10 knots faster than ours, IIRC.  

Oh, I know.  I just mean I think the reason behind the regulation is more about speed than complexity.  

It will add speed...a ground adjustable prop is still only maximally efficient for one condition, usually a compromise.  An in-flight adjustable would be maximally efficient in cruise (as well as all flight conditions) and would certainly pull some knots.  I think the adjustable prop CTs out there are about 10 knots faster than ours, IIRC.  

We can't operate cowl flaps, radiator vent or prop pitch because of the complexity. Don't you need a high performance endorsement to fly a Cessna or Piper or Mooney with an adjustable prop?  We could review the light sport rule and find the language the limits these things.

We do compromise when we set our pitch, we give up climb to achieve maximum speed in most cases. 10 knots faster?  That's silly, you can't make it go faster unless you compare to a CT that isn't optimized for speed.  Consider most pilots flying CTs are restricted and end up cruising at 10,000' max for the most part.  Optimizing for altitudes below 7,500 would mean cruising at more than 75% power so you are going to throttle back anyway.  Your left with a narrow range 7,500 - 10,000 to pitch for best speed at and an in flight adjustable prop won't beat that.  The in flight will allow you to fly above high terrain, say at 12,500 - 14,000 and you can have advantage up there as well as you can climb away from the ground at 5,800 RPM.

Don't you need a high performance endorsement to fly a Cessna or Piper or Mooney with an adjustable prop?

Technically. ..

High Performance Endorsement for more than 200 hp.

Complex Endorsement for constant speed prop, retractable gear and flaps.

Lots of high performance that are not complex, and complex that are not high performance.

My take is the prohibition on the prop for Light Sport is the complexity issue. Though I guess we'd have to ask the authors of the standard to know for sure.

Anyway, if I could legally get a flight adjustable prop on my Sky Arrow, I'd be sourcing one tomorrow. A fixed pitch prop is like a car with one forward speed in the transmission. Ground adjustable just lets you choose which "gear" you're stuck in!

Are there no regulations regarding the use of Oxygen in the US?

Over here, above 10,000' we are required by law to have supplementary oxygen in a non pressurised aircraft.

Mind you I used to fly my Cherokee 6 at FL140 without Oxygen (took a while to get there!) but I've not had the CT at anything over 9,000' (yet)

Are there no regulations regarding the use of Oxygen in the US?

Over here, above 10,000' we are required by law to have supplementary oxygen in a non pressurised aircraft.

Mind you I used to fly my Cherokee 6 at FL140 without Oxygen (took a while to get there!) but I've not had the CT at anything over 9,000' (yet)

Supplemental O2 required for flights higher than 12,500ft lasting more than 30 minutes and for flights of any duration above 14,000ft.

Supplemental O2 required for flights higher than 12,500ft lasting more than 30 minutes and for flights of any duration above 14,000ft.

Correct.  A cannula can be used to deliver the oxygen to the pilot for 30 mins below 14k.  Above 14k to 15k a cannula/oxygen must be used the pilot at all times.  Above 15k to 18k a cannula can be used by all on board and the pilot must be on oxygen at all times.  Above 18k  everyone must use a mask at all times.

Of course if the cabin is pressurized no action need be taken except to have backup oxygen available in case of loss of pressurization.

I used to fly with O2 when solo. I would hang the bottle from the passenger seat in its padded case.  Jeremy showed me that it fits nicely on the floor.  It feels so good that when I have some I use it right up.  27 miles away a friend has a big bottles for refilling but its such a hassle.

http://www.skyox.com/product/SK%2011-50

What LSA is pressurized?  Who flies LSA's above 18,000 feet?  Why do you feel the need to quote non-pertinent FAR's?  We can all read them ourselves when/if we need that information.  Most of us are licensed pilots and know them anyway.

Ian: "Are there no regulations regarding the use of Oxygen in the US?"

The information is an answer to the above question from Ian(who lives in the UK) in regard to oxygen requirements in the USA.

Archived