Alternator Light on again

procharger

• 4 months later...

Almost 2 hours into a cross country to Reno I got an intermittent charge warning light. With anti collision strobe on it was intermittent and with strobe off the light was constant. I turned around and flew back home the KRLD. Removed the voltage regulator (VR), cleaned all the contacts and reseated the 30 amp VR fuse and the problem cleared. My bird is a 2007 G3/600, 912 ULS with original VR.

Roger...how long to VRs last? Should I replace it or do you think it was just a loose fuse or oxide on contacts? Voltage was steady at 14.2v (measured at the cig lighter) at all rpms for over an hour after I did the maintenance.

Bitten, I have found that the circuit breakers in my CT have been an occasional source for intermittent current disruption.  Occasionally cycling the breakers and even giving a shot of contact cleaner/lube into the ones that are trouble makers seems to have eliminated this problem for me.  Since the CT uses the alternator and battery breakers as "switches", these are constantly exercised at each start and stop of our engines and I haven't had any problems with these.  If your G3 has a purposed switch with breakers separate, the bat and alt breakers may not get cycled often and this might contribute to your concern. Or, if you actually have a fuse and don't have CB's, the fuse may become oxidized or dirty and loose continuity as you indicate.  Also, I have found the connectors at the regulator would sometimes dislodge and loose continuity.  I have fixed this by using a small tie wrap each end of the connector to secure this to the regulator and have also made sure each individual crimped connector that is held in the connector is seated and retained.

Archived