Alternator Light on again

procharger

Started plane today alt. light on full bright would not go out, shut down engine restarted light went out,

any ideas checked all connections couple weeks ago. Kind of random when this happens ??

Roger

nothing else is on during start up light is full bright and doesn't change ,go dim or anything even with more RPM

I know light will come on sometimes with all the electrics on usually its very dim then goes out with RPM this

is something different.  CTSW

This is usually because of low voltage, low fuel pressure or low oil pressure. I never start up under a load. No lights, no radio no nothing. Only my D120 comes up upon power. After the engine is on then give it 5-10 seconds to stabilise at about 2200-2300 rpm. This will give voltage, and pressures a chance to stabilise. Then start turning power on. See if this doesn't help. 

Too many people want to turn everything on and start up. 

Try it this way 2-3 times and let us know what happens. 

p.s.

If you have the dual Dynon Skyviews in an LS you won't have a big choice there, but leave everything else off.

If you have the dual Dynon Skyviews in an LS you won't have a big choice there, but leave everything else off.

As a technique, before I start, I have my strobe light on and power up a single SkyView, to monitor the increase in oil pressure. The 2nd SkyView is not powered (via open circuit breaker) until the engine is started and stable. After powering the 2nd SkyView, the rest of the equipment is turned on.

The idea is to avoid power spikes, especially with the radio and transponder.

Never had a problem with this.

Hi Bill,

I have always wondered why people turn their lights on before start? Other than someone said to do it this why what is the reasoning?

It is the 7th item on the CTSW Before Start Checklist.

The other reason I do it is in the interest of safety. For one reason or another, not all people heed the "CLEAR PROP" shout out.

It is common practice (and part of the Before Start Checklist), military and commercial, that the anti-collision light be on, anytime an engine is operating. It is turned off only after shutdown of all engines.

I am still in the habit of turning my strobes, and now my landing light*, on right after engine start.

Old habits die hard, and in past times a literal rotating beacon's current draw could make the difference between an engine barely starting and not starting at all. Modern strobes draw so much less current it's a much smaller, almost negligible factor.

Anyway, AIM says:

Prop and jet blast forces generated by large aircraft have overturned or damaged several smaller aircraft taxiing behind them. To avoid similar results, and in the interest of preventing upsets and injuries to ground personnel from such forces, the FAA recommends that air carriers and commercial operators turn on their rotating beacons anytime their aircraft engines are in operation. General aviation pilots using rotating beacon equipped aircraft are also encouraged to participate in this program which is designed to alert others to the potential hazard. Since this is a voluntary program, exercise caution and do not rely solely on the rotating beacon as an indication that aircraft engines are in operation.

I do think having the strobes on before engine start is a good practice. Like shouting "CLEAR!" it may alert someone to a hazardous situation - another "red flag" that the plane is about to go "hot".

As an aside, I know many pilots who simply never turn off their strobes in normal operations. Another side benefit is it can help prevent leaving the master on - a glance back at your plane and seeing the strobes still on might just remind you that you had forgotten something! (I just noticed a similar practice has save CT4ME in that manner).

*I only started having the landing light on at all times after going to an LED landing light. Before that the draw of the 4509 incandescent was so much that 3i gave it a 5 minute limitation.

It is the 7th item on the CTSW Before Start Checklist.

The other reason I do it is in the interest of safety. For one reason or another, not all people heed the "CLEAR PROP" shout out.

It is common practice (and part of the Before Start Checklist), military and commercial, that the anti-collision light be on, anytime an engine is operating. It is turned off only after shutdown of all engines.

Military?  The only thing that needs to be one is the single Skyview in the CTLS so you can assess rpm at startup.  Even the Aux Pump isn't required in the fuel injected system.  And if the engine doesn't start after three turns of the prop.  Something is amiss and should be checked before going any further.

Here is the Engine Start portion of my checklist: 

ENGINE START

Park Brake        on

Doors        close-latch

Circuit Breakers    all in

Avionics Master    off

All Switches    off

Fuel Shutoff    open (up)

Fuel Selector    set ‘Both’

Batt+Gen         on+on

Aux Fuel        on (opt)

Prop Area        ‘clear prop’

Ignition Key    in/start

Throttle         2000rpm

EMS Oil Press    green 55psi

Aux Fuel        off

Avionics Master        on

Landing Lt        on

Pos+Beacon Lt    on+on

Intercom        on    

Garmin GPS    Tools-GetStatus-5Sats

Hobbs            note

Radio        get AWOS/ATIS

Dynon         set BAR

Dynon        set XPNDR ‘AUTO’        

EMS Oil Temp    50°C (122 F)

Throttle Up/Dn    2500rpm (AltB)

Taxi            Radio Taxi 1st Call

Safety Harness    tight

Parking Brake    off

As a technique, before I start, I have my strobe light on and power up a single SkyView, to monitor the increase in oil pressure. The 2nd SkyView is not powered (via open circuit breaker) until the engine is started and stable. After powering the 2nd SkyView, the rest of the equipment is turned on.

The idea is to avoid power spikes, especially with the radio and transponder.

Never had a problem with this.

Ditto . Except when the Ducati regulator went bad, replaced that , no problems following the same procedure, from the check list.

Cheers

The only downside I can see is that strobes contain some modicum of electronic circuitry.

I think the fear is that voltage variations or drops on engine starts could conceivably damage that circuitry.

But it seems in real life that's kind of a non-issue, with modern circuits able to deal with a wide range of voltages. Far more complicated PFD's and MFD's are on at engine start, apparently to no ill effect.

Unless someone has data showing that strobes can be damaged in this way, I'd put it pretty far down on my list of worries.

edited to add: the first two Whelen power supplies I just looked at said they were OK from 10-30v.

Our strobes won't damage the engine electrical. Shouldn't even have an impact on the start unless you sit there for a long time with a lot of electrical on and have a marginal battery to boot.

Just a consideration. I power nothing up except the D120 until after engine start then start to turn other electric on.

Just personal preference. 

My start sequence is:

Master ON

Beacon ON  (to let folks know visually there might be an engine starting)

Visually Check Prop Area Clear

Call "CLEAR PROP"

Ignition to START

Check Oil Pressure

All Switches Except Cockpit Light ON:  Avionics Master, Position Lights, Intercom, Landing Light

Transponder to STANDBY

The beacon is way brighter than the position lights on a CTSW (I really want to add REAL strobes), so it's a better light to have on to warn folks before engine start

The landing light is the only decently bright light on the airplane, so I have it on all the time as my primary anti-collision light.  I used to turn it on right before takeoff, but having forgotten it a couple of times I now just turn it on at start up and leave it on until shutdown.  The Soraa LED is only 11.5W.

I have started teaching students to turn the transponder on and not standby after start, because of the change in transponder usage in the AIM.

http://right-rudder.blogspot.com/2012/09/when-to-turn-your-transponder-on.html

Me too.  Good technique Tom.

Additionally, after climbing up, you may find ATC advising you they are not receiving your squawk (if you started out in the standby mode).

Been there . . . done that.

My Garmin transponder is set to go to ALT from SBY at some predetermined groundspeed - 45kts?

Good idea to just turn it on before taxi - they do want you to do that, especially at larger fields.

Old habits do die hard, though!

Archived