LED Landing light

Tom Baker

One of the gotchas on the landing light, at least on the CTLSi is the long wire has to be folded and tied to something with a zip-tie.  In the case of the CLTSi is a fuel rail crossing the front.  Two ties are needed, one to keep the wire bundle standing-off from the rail, the other to tie the folded wire up so it doesn't dangle on the engine.

The long wire is needed to get the bottom cowling off and on where the light is mounted.

One of the gotchas on the landing light, at least on the CTLSi is the long wire has to be folded and tied to something with a zip-tie.  In the case of the CLTSi is a fuel rail crossing the front.  Two ties are needed, one to keep the wire bundle standing-off from the rail, the other to tie the folded wire up so it doesn't dangle on the engine.

The long wire is needed to get the bottom cowling off and on where the light is mounted.

The earlier CT's don't have a long mess of wires to deal with. Just unplug 2 wires and off with the cowling.

The FD factory LED light that I'm familiar with is a rectangular light.  To retrofit this, the engine cowl must be modified.  A portion is cut out and a "patch" that accepts the rectangular light is epoxied in.  I'd have to say that one would have to make sure the cost required to buy the light and the patch and then the cost to modify would justify this.

The FD factory LED light that I'm familiar with is a rectangular light.  To retrofit this, the engine cowl must be modified.  A portion is cut out and a "patch" that accepts the rectangular light is epoxied in.  I'd have to say that one would have to make sure the cost required to buy the light and the patch and then the cost to modify would justify this.

Really?  The CTLS LED light is round, why would they not just use that??

I e-mailed Mat.  This is a drop-in change to the SORAA lights that many are already using.  $89 for the bulb (which is the same price I can find it online) and $50 for the MRA.  The bulb is 600 lumens and 11.5W power draw.

Again, the factory bulb has no FD part number, so technically I don't know if the MRA is legally needed...?

I e-mailed Mat.  This is a drop-in change to the SORAA lights that many are already using.  $89 for the bulb (which is the same price I can find it online) and $50 for the MRA.  The bulb is 600 lumens and 11.5W power draw.

Again, the factory bulb has no FD part number, so technically I don't know if the MRA is legally needed...?

Andy, there is a part number and description for the lamp. C9997173 Alluminium Reflector Lamp 100W Halogen.

These lamps are a drop in replacement as Andy pointed out. I spoke with Tom Peghiny about this light at Oshkosh last year. I followed up with a couple part numbers for bulbs that were listed here on the forum. They ordered some bulbs and did the testing to get the MRA.

Andy, there is a part number and description for the lamp. C9997173 Alluminium Reflector Lamp 100W Halogen.

Thanks, I guess I was misinformed about the part #, I thought in another thread the LED lamp was listed as an allowable change because there was no FD part number for the halogen lamp.

Is that part number the lamp manufacturer part number or an FD part number?

Thanks, I guess I was misinformed about the part #, I thought in another thread the LED lamp was listed as an allowable change because there was no FD part number for the halogen lamp.

Is that part number the lamp manufacturer part number or an FD part number?

Andy, that is the Flight Design number. Now you don't have to use the Flight Design part because they provide a specification 100W halogen lamp. You do need the MRA to use a part that doesn't meet the specifications.

As of today, I inquired and have received this response:

Corey,

Yes, there is a drop in replacement to change the halogen bulb to a LED. The LED light itself is $89.95 but you will need an MRA to make the change which is $50. If this is something you would like to do just let me know and I can get it going for you.

Best Regards,

Mat Fortin

Flight Design USA

860-963-7272

www.flightdesignusa.com

• 3 weeks later...

An MRA for a drop in replacement? Why?? What am I missing?

I am sure there are sparkplugs that are a drop in replacement, and I would bet you wouldn't use them without out the manufacturer's approval.

My point is even though it is a drop in replacement it has an impact on, and is a major change to the electrical system. Of course the change is a positive one.

I am sure there are sparkplugs that are a drop in replacement, and I would bet you wouldn't use them without out the manufacturer's approval.

My point is even though it is a drop in replacement it has an impact on, and is a major change to the electrical system. Of course the change is a positive one.

Agreed, but the difference, in my mind at least, is this light has FD approval.

Guess I'm behind on current landing lights.  A while ago, there was a mod done to a CTSW where the rectangular CTLS LED light was installed which required modification of the cowl.  Good to know a "drop in" hi intensity round LED is now approved.

Archived