Engine Mounts

Doug G.

I just did these mounts on Thursday.  I used the instructions on page 5-6 of Revision 7 (latest) of the CTSW Maintenance Manual.  It says 35nm (310 in/lb), so that is what I used.  I'm not removing the engine again to change the torque, and it's the suggested factory torque (in fact the manual says "it is necessary to check the tightening torque to be 35nm every time"), so I guess I'll see how it goes at that value.  The mounts to the firewall I did at 200 in/lb.

BTW, did the hose change myself at the same time.  It's a hell of a job, I know now why it costs so much.  I spent 14 hours on it Thursday, and another 6 on Saturday.  Carbs are going back on tonight and I'm going to put coolant and fuel in it to see if anything leaks.  Will do an oil purge and start it up sometime in the next couple of days. 

Andy, no better way to know one's airplane like getting involved with the annual inspection.  In your case, you were REALLY involved ILO the rubber change being done also.  I have not done my conditional inspection alone but have always been heavily involved along with a rubber change.  The good thing is my A&P doesn't charge me more to "help"! :rolleyes:   A&P's earn their money.  Especially those A&P's that still provide quality service by not being complacent, even after doing inspections hundreds of times. 

Totally agree Dick!  My condition inspections have always been me doing as much as I felt comfortable doing (most of it), and the A&P checking my work and signing off.  Now that I am legal to do it all, I want to jump in an know this bird backwards and forwards.

I have not even gotten to the "regular" annual yet, I'm still on the hoses and mounts.  Hopefully I'll be done before the Summer is over!  

Might as well leave it at 35nm (310 in/lbs). Just talked to FD and they got and email response of 35nm. When they did that back in the first round of hose changes they saids it was 200 in/lbs. Looks like the fleet is at the 200 in/lb mark and has never had any issue. I'll have to do a little research. I'm just a little worried about smashing the rubber mounts, but may it isn't an issue. It may be different to for the SW and the LS. Different mounts. Maybe the same.

Looks like pick one or the other and it's all good.

Thanks for the legwork, Roger.  I looked carefully at the mounts today, they don't look any more deformed then they did before the change.  I doubt it's a criticsl difference either way, but it would be nice to get a definitive statement from FD along with their reasoning.

Archived