Hose change "surprises"

Doug G.

Three things that I did not expect in my hose change experience. First, when you have both a water and oil thermostat there are a lot of hoses. Second, two of the water hoses have 90° bend "pipe" inside them. Cutting them out and putting them into the new his was not easy. Third, I found the rear rubber isolation bumper for the coils was missing the bottom nut and out of the bracket. (That seems like it could only have happened at the factory.)

Other than that, I am being slow and careful about the work, and I make phone calls when there is something I don't quite understand. It is taking longer than I anticipated, but that is partly just the way life is at the moment.

Too late, Roger. I managed to get them where they needed to be. Am I right in assuming that the 912 has more hoses than any other poison airplane engine? Nearly everything except the water hoses had Band- it clamps on both the houses and the fire sleeve. Is that true of all FD planes?

"Is that true of all FD planes?"

Lucky you-Yes.

More hose if you like the thermostats. I don't think they help that much as our oil and cooling system capacity is too small. It would work much better with a larger capacity system, but it makes a good selling point for a customer. I know several owners that would like to get rid of them.

All fire sleeve should have Band-It clamps on the outside. The fuel hoses have Oetiker clamps, the oil hoses have fuel injection clamps, the 17mm have constant compression clamps and the 1" (25mm) coolant hoses have Wurth screw clamps.

Hope you had a Dremel tool with a cut-off blade for the Band-It and Oetiker clamps.

Doug, did you use the Radialcord 25mm coolant hose, or the new hose and clamps that Flight Design USA has?

I have always used the Radialcord hose and original clamps. I also reuse the aluminum tubes in the coolant hoses. I use Oetiker clamps on almost all of the fuel and oil hoses, and Band-its on the firesleeve. I do use fuel injector clamps so I can pull the shut off valve and fuel filter assembly out of the airplane to service the filter.

There were only a couple of Oetiker clamps. Nearly all the oil and fuel hoses were Band-it, both on the hoses and fire sleeves. The only exceptions were the crimped on ends on the pressure line from the fuel pump to the fuel distribution block. (I replaced the fuel pump with the new model.)

Yes, I used a Dremel. I couldn't use my rechargeable because of the tight spots for some of them. I used my a.c. powered with an extension cable.

Archived