912 Rotax/Neuform Propeller Balance

FredG

Those of you who have balanced your prop - would you post where the balance weights were placed and how they were attached (spinner, hub, etc)?  Photos would be most appreciated.

I am planning on balancing the Neuform prop on my 2006 CTsw and was hoping for some understanding of the process prior to the job.

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred,

You have two ways to attach some weights.

One is on the 3/4" lip of the backing plate. You can put a flathead screw in and countersink the head and then it fits nicely under the spinner edge and is out of sight.

Or

You can put a screw in the back of the backing plate with the weight on the inside of the backing plate up high next to the backing plate lip. Stay away from the backing plate lip at least 1/2".

I have seen FD do it both ways over the years.

It's generally a better idea to screw the weights into the backplate than attaching to the lip.

All planes can be balanced, although large planes with more than 500hp requires a prop repair station to do it.

Advisory circular 20-37e is a good read. http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_20-37e.pdf

This is called dynamic balancing.

You could do that, but it may take more weight. It's really easy to just drill a small hole on the backing plate or backing plate lip and countersink that particular screw. This is how I see the huge majority done. We are only talking 6-12 grams as a rule.

Archived