ADS-B Traffic after 2016 and Dynon’s Solution

TomH

I realize the % of CTs equipped with Dual Skyview displays is the minority here... but a recent topic on Dynon's Forum does a particularly good job describing the short term and long-term plans for ADS-B especially as it relates to LSA like the CT.

As a pilot of a fully ADS-B equipped CT, I can share that the situational awareness provided in busy non-towered airspace is pretty remarkable. For example, somewhat vague position reports like "...transitioning to a 5-mile 45 for runway 35" now means a lot more when I can electronically "see" the plane on screen with it's N-number, altitude and direction of flight. Having easy clues to then visually confirm the traffic without feeling anxiety because I'm also 5 miles on a 45 to runway 35 makes flying in general a lot more enjoyable. 

Anyway, good read from Dynon and continued excellent support of their aviation solutions. Hopefully FD is timely with this software update once it's out. Additionally, this read also makes definitive the incorrect comments of late on being 2020 compliant with the Dynon ADS-B solution. Kudos to Dynon for working so hard with the FAA to still be included in the category of "acceptable" ADS-B configuration.

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1435713176

I realize the % of CTs equipped with Dual Skyview displays is the minority here... but a recent topic on Dynon's Forum does a particularly good job describing the short term and long-term plans for ADS-B especially as it relates to LSA like the CT.

As a pilot of a fully ADS-B equipped CT, I can share that the situational awareness provided in busy non-towered airspace is pretty remarkable. For example, somewhat vague position reports like "...transitioning to a 5-mile 45 for runway 35" now means a lot more when I can electronically "see" the plane on screen with it's N-number, altitude and direction of flight. Having easy clues to then visually confirm the traffic without feeling anxiety because I'm also 5 miles on a 45 to runway 35 makes flying in general a lot more enjoyable. 

Anyway, good read from Dynon and continued excellent support of their aviation solutions. Hopefully FD is timely with this software update once it's out. Additionally, this read also makes definitive the incorrect comments of late on being 2020 compliant with the Dynon ADS-B solution. Kudos to Dynon for working so hard with the FAA to still be included in the category of "acceptable" ADS-B configuration.

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1435713176

Once again, the FAA has issued and OFFICIAL and definitive correction letter stating that all non TSO'd ADS-B solutions now in the air are meeting the 2020 mandate as long as they are installed in experimentals and LSAs.

As I stated the issue being referred to has to do with the SIL quality rating of the GPS equipment as an input source which gives the altitude for the ground station on ADS-B out.  The FAA wants an absurd level that would make GPS euipment prohibitively expensive for LSA and experimentals.  That's why I see yet another course correction from the FAA in regard to experimentals and LSA.  They will NOT turn off the system just because the GPS is not at a high SIL level.

Remember, I was the guy that predicted the FAA would NOT force experimentals and LSA to install certified ADS-B two years ago.  I was right then, and I will be right again on this...

Will a newer vintage dual screen Skyview, with the SV-XPNDR 261 transponder and the Garmin 796,  be compliant, specifically in terms of the GPS source?

Hi Andy,

Dynon uses its SV-GPS-250 as the GPS source and though it is WAAS capable, it is not currently compliant with the requirement for 2016 nor the 2020 mandate. Signal Integrity is output as 0 (SIL=0). Neither is the Garmin. Dynon is JUST NOW saying that they have tested (and have FAA approval?) that component and despite being non-TSO'd, it performs in such a way that it meets the TSO performance requirement coming for 2016. So, come the appropriate software update prior to 2016, the ADS-B signal integrity will output in such a way to still wake up ground stations and participate in the ADS-B system (SIL=1). 

The forum post above indicates that based on what they know today, the SV-GPS-250 will never meet the 2020 mandate and therefore you won't be able to enter airspace where it is required. However, that does not mean Dynon won't find a way or the FAA won't acquiesce as Mr. Burgers indicates OR come out with an inexpensive additional goodie to solve the problem.

Remember, the transponder sends ADS-B Out signals and requires an appropriate GPS source. For ADS-B (Traffic and Wx) you'll need the SV-ADSB-470 UAT Band Traffic and Weather Receiver (and antenna) installed. Newer models have it included, I had it added on my 2012 with an MRA from FD.

Tom

The original ADS-B mandate comprised two elements, the "carrot" of traffic and weather services, and the "stick" of the airspace restrictions after 2020.  It seems with the new rule that SIL 0 will not even wake up ground stations, FAA has made best feature of the carrot only available to high dollar installations.

It's becoming clear that the FAA is trying to run the smaller airplanes out of busy airspace, or at least making them pay so much in "compliance costs" that very few will want to foot the bill.  This will also serve to kill most small airports under a class B/C footprint.  FAA is living up to their nickname as the "Federal Airline Administration"...  :(

SIL of 0 will not activate the ground station beginning soon after 1/4/16.  What Burgers is confusing is that for experimentals and LSA, the units do not have to be TSO'd to meet the 2020 mandate, but do have to meet the TSO performance standards.

A SIL of 0 will not be 2020 compliant and will not meet TSO performance standards and will not activate a ground station effective 1/1/16 unless something changes.

Incorrect.  LSA and Experimentals DO NOT have to have TSOd equipment to meet the ADS-B mandate....  And the non TSOd Dynon gear meets the ADS-B performance requirements.  If the FAA tries to up the bar higher on the GPS equipment by forcing a MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE unit, they will destroy GA entirely...No one will meet the 2020 mandate, not even certified GA aircraft since most are providing Out only and using Garmin GPS to do that none of which operate at the higher SIL levels...

Incorrect.  LSA and Experimentals DO NOT have to have TSOd equipment to meet the ADS-B mandate.... 

Dude, give it up.  Yes, it's true the LSA/EAB aircraft only have to meet "performance" of the TSO units.  It's ALSO true that if your unit transmits a SIL / SLA of 0 (all Dynon gear does at this point), after January of 2016 your gear will no longer trigger ground stations, and you will NOT get a full traffic picture like you are now.

I quoted you the line from the FAA website saying exactly this, I don't know what more you want.  Just because it's "legal" doesn't mean they will give you traffic. 

Ah.  The Garmin GDL-84 at ~$3500 with a certified position source that talks direct to your existing xpdr, and talks wireless to an iPad is looking like the best bang-per-buck solution for me right now.  But I use Garmin Pilot and that's the only software supported, so it won't work well for a lot of folks. 

Still hoping for something better and less onerous.

You know guys, a good idea is to leverage group buying power. If you get a few people throwing in, a lot of these avionics companies give a nice discount. Few years ago we got 3 430w installations done for the price of two.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Dynon for producing a module ( there's always a module!) which solves the 2020 problem for a reasonable cost to the owner.

For myself looks like I'll only need the $590 module to comply as I already have SkyView and the 261 transponder. Just need Vans to look at and approve for my SLSA.

Archived