Rotax 915is fuel injected turbo 135 hp

Roger Lee

The Australian agent <silentwingsaviation.com> are expecting the delivery of the first in a few weeks. They have an amazing range . The diesel may be from <buekerundfunk.de>. They also have an aircraft that looks a bit like a futuristic Cessna  <www.aeropilotcz.com>. There is also a new Fly Synthesis "the Syncro," which is strutless as the CT. It is available in Australia as an advanced kit (no painting just simple assembly) it allows us in Aus to register as "experimental LSA" the advantage is the authority for trhe builder to do most maintenance. Not unreasonable after the builder has assembled the aircraft.

Although I know the Australian importers I have no afilliation with them other than as an interested observer in what is happening in a very competitive market place down under.

I think that belt tecgnology hais much advanced in the last 10 years. The belt on a Harley would be subject to a huge load due to the gearing yet they are a reliable part of the drive . I would expect that the reliability is better than the Reynold chains I had on my first motor cycle. I always carried a spare link & often needed it. Fitting a new chain did not help much as the sprockets wore & drastically reduced the life of the new chain. The belt would have little wear on the pully so replacing the belt regularly & checking the bearings would be the only regular maintenance. There is no perfect system even the gearbox in the Rotax has problems with lead contamination from Avgas. Engine oil with all its contaminents is not the best lubricant for a gearbox. This is the way I see it, I am not an engineer just a very interested observer.

johnr

Gearboxes have horrible harmonics problems. Chains are not constant velocity*. Belts wear more quickly. These are the downsides to each.

*as the chain links ride into the sprockets and seat, it changes the distance traveled briefly, which pulses the power delivered. This makes them very noisy.

Archived