Concerned Spouse

MrLupin

This next weekend I'll be renting a CTSW near Los Angeles to take my wife flying with me for her first time since I got my license. She's concerned that she may not be able to fly because she has a tendency to get claustrophobic. Given the 49 inch with in the CTSW I would think she's less likely to get claustrophobia than most any other smaller GA airplane. Any suggestions as to how I might put her at ease, other than Valium? Does anybody else here have a significant other who has overcome claustrophobia? If so, I'd be very interested in learning how it was overcome. I love flying and would be terribly disappointed if my wife couldn't enjoy it with me. Thanks!

Given the FD is has far more outside viewing and is wider than most GA aircraft feeling cramped is not the issue unless she is really trying to avoid flying at all.  Try putting her in the seat and taxi around a bit and see if she feels reticent.  And make sure she has on pants and tennis shoes so she can more easily keep her feet off the rudder pedals.

If she still doesn't want to go after the taxi excursion, well, forcing someone into the air in a small plane is a lose-lose in any case.

I support Corey's endorsement.

Your possible disappointment to her flying should not determine your relationship to flying with your spouse.

I agree with the 'taxi around' approach. If you 'sense' ANY concern, cancel her seat.  Let her have a coffee and watch you do some practice landings. When, and if, ready she will go for a flight. 

I'm sure you married her for reasons other than flying around the country side....

Anecdote. Both my ex and now current wife like to fly.

But my ex-mother-in-law was apprehensive. My ex was trying to talk her into at least trying it at least once.

My attitude was to never pressure anyone into anything when it comes to flying.

What worked was getting her to agree to just sitting in the plane - the back of a Citabria in this case. Once she was in, she suggested maybe to just taxi around a little. Then she said maybe just take off if we could land again right away. Once in the air she loved it and we did a whole beach tour out of Opa Locka. From that point on she was a fairly regular passenger, once on a trip all the way to Connecticut in my Tiger with my wife and daughter.

Anyway, that worked for us. I would still encourage minimum pressure, baby steps and being ready to back off at any point.

Mr. Lupin,

I'd also suggest an early morning flight, when things are cool and still.  Keep it smooth and silky with no steep turns or "hey watch this" moments.

Down the road, if she takes to flying, go flying with other couples or groups. A Page fly-in would seal the deal.   

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the excellent advice!

After 23 years of marriage and 6 kids, it'll take a lot more than her not liking flying to drive a wedge between us. I'll be disappointed but I still have 4 kids at home I can take flying with me.

Tell me more about this Page flight. I presume you're speaking of Page, AZ, no?

Archived