Installing a Garmin 796 and GDL-39 in a CTLS

knolde

Evening All: Its a while since I used this site. I think my last post was in 2013 concerning a choice between a Garmin 696 or 796. Well I got a good deal on a 796 and I also bought a GDL-39 w/battery, so I will be updating.  

Of course it is here I run into a bit of a problem, my maintenance guy and good friend (retired Navy P3 Flight Engineer, A&P/AI), has never done a swap (replacing the 496 with the 796) and I am not much help. So I was wondering if anyone could give us a hand with cogent suggestions? I know the 796 fits in the center, but moving the rest of the stuff like radio, heat controls, IFF, etc. I (we) would appreciate your help to me Dr.. Ken Nolde. here or at my email:

kennolde@cox.net. Cel Phone 850-380-6197--I do not have any "Social Media" stuff. I am concentrating on the 796 installation because we have a real avionics guy who promised he can handle the GDL setup.

Thanks, very much, Dr. Ken Nolde, N840KN, 600+ fun hours

Hi Andy and S3fyer.  Thanks for the info.  Don't recall the FlightStream being available as part of the GDL84 "kit" the last time looked at things. Guess the latest 796 software allows the FlightStream with the GDL84 to communicate wirelessly to I-pad and Android and now to communicate with 796 and later panel equipment.  I'm still confused about the GDL84 with FlightStream.  The text I've copied below indicates that the GDL84 must be sent to the factory to get upgraded to GDL88 if one wishes to communicate with GPS in-panel display (796 and GNS?).  Is the upgrade indicated below old data and no longer needed for the GDL84 if one wishes to have it communicate with a 796, as Dr. Ken would like to do?  If one can buy a new GDL84 plus the FlightStream that  wirelessly communicates with tablets and Garmin in-panel GPS equipment for less than the GDL88, it does appear that there is no advantage to buying the more expensive GDL88.  The only thing negative about this is my limited knowledge indicates the FlightStream is a separate box which requires added space for installation whereas bluetooth communication is integrated into the GDL88 box.

You Can Grow From Here

As the NextGen airspace system evolves, you may find that you want to add ADS-B weather and traffic interface capabilities to an MFD or other navigation display onboard your aircraft. While the GDL 84 is designed for use with compatible tablets and smart devices only, Garmin does offer an easy growth path to installed-system display capability. For a minimal cost, your GDL 84 can be returned to Garmin for factory upgrade to a GDL 88 configuration. With this upgrade, your receiver can bring all the graphical benefits of ADS-B to your in-panel Garmin flight displays.

Hi Dick,

Garmin announced upgrades in the Flightstream network at Oshkosh this year.  The GDL-84 site (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/avionics-safety/weather-solutions/gdl-84/prod511180.html) has changed to reflect the 795/796 connection:

• Displays subscription-free ADS-B weather and datalink traffic using Garmin Pilot™, ForeFlight Mobile and aera 795/796
  • Packaged with Flight Stream™ 110 or 210 device for wireless connectivity with tablets and Garmin portables via Connext™

You would need the GDL-88 to connect to the GTN series and G500/600 flight displays.

Thanks.  Looks like the GDL84 is the way to go if one wants wireless connectivity to tablets AND 796.  My friend is getting Garmin ADS-B installed in his CTLS this week.  I'm going to have to see what Garmin box he is going with - GDL84 or 88. 

To All who replied to my query, I sincerely thank you. However, I have already purchased the GDL 39 system. My question was about the physical installation of the Garmin 796 into my aircraft (2008 CTLS) and if anyone might have some words of wisdom about actually doing it and moving things around to get it in. However, I also see that by the replies, I may well spend money for the "wrong" system the GDL 39/3D as opposed to the GDL 84 or 88. Here, I must  confess that I have never used a tablet in an aircraft or elsewhere, that is to come down the road. So, I again ask for some words of wisdom.

Thanks, Dr. Ken Nolde:  (kennolde@cox.net) 840KN

To All who replied to my query, I sincerely thank you. However, I have already purchased the GDL 39 system. My question was about the physical installation of the Garmin 796 into my aircraft (2008 CTLS) and if anyone might have some words of wisdom about actually doing it and moving things around to get it in. However, I also see that by the replies, I may well spend money for the "wrong" system the GDL 39/3D as opposed to the GDL 84 or 88. Here, I must  confess that I have never used a tablet in an aircraft or elsewhere, that is to come down the road. So, I again ask for some words of wisdom.

Thanks, Dr. Ken Nolde:  (kennolde@cox.net) 840KN

I have a 2010 CTLS, with a 796 installation. My brother was the original owner, and it was one of the first if not the first installation on the CTLS. This was done at Lockwood (Sebring) . Not too far away from where you are based. I'm at Lakeland Linder Municipal (KLAL). I'll be glad to show it to you. Weather in Central Florida has been so bad , that Flying in the afternoon on weekends has been limited to very short hops. The Aircraft came with a 696 from factory. After the modification it is very easy to remove and install back up.

Cheers

I'm a little late on a reply as I've been away for a few days.

I can't help with the installation procedure but I have the 796 with GDL39 as I beleive S3flyer has.

If you already have a GTX330 or 330ES Garmin will have the ADS-B OUT unit for approx $1100 with harness/cable and antenna, plug and play into the 330. I beleive it called the A-20 and will be available late Sept/Oct.

The 330 will require an update, while the 330ES is good to go. Perfect with the ADS-B (IN) your installing.

Naturally we all can wait until we get closer but I'm having this installed when it's available.

I beleive it's, so far, the best and cheapest way for the above equipped aircraft to meet the mandate.

Hope this helps.

S3Flyer, Rich, Ralacon, Thanks for the replies. I was originally going to have the 796 and the GDL installed at Sebring--however they said they could not because they did not have a qualified avionics guy available. Anyway, I have my mech and he has  an avionics contact--bottom line is I will learn how to use the 796 and this setup. Please standby because I am sure I will have many questions coming. Again, thank you very much, I appreciate your replies. Living under Class C airspace (Pensacola, Fl) and in a dense military aircraft training area, I am trying to get ahead of the bow wave.

Dr. Ken Nolde, N840KN, 

Thanks.  Looks like the GDL84 is the way to go if one wants wireless connectivity to tablets AND 796.  My friend is getting Garmin ADS-B installed in his CTLS this week.  I'm going to have to see what Garmin box he is going with - GDL84 or 88. 

Hey Dick, once your friend gets the gear installed and gets used to it, I'd love a PIREP on how he likes it (or doesn't).

Dick,

The GDL-39 offers bluetooth intergration with the 796.

Archived