Exhaust Springs

Doug G.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pick-and-hook-set-7-pc-69592.html

Big hook for exhaust springs, little hook for carb springs (actually, I put the springs on THEN put the throttle and choke arms on, and vis versa. much easier)

The other picks are useful for checking paint cracking by lightly digging in and seeing if it's just surface marks or something more serious. If it's just surface stuff, then just use nail polish to fill it back over.

I use a 12" pair of needlenose pliers. I cut some small groves on the inside of both jaws to ensure a good grip on anything. I put the pliers in sideways on the spring so the handle is sticking straight out and then just use a little weight to push downward to either remove or install them. I have had several friends try this and most all did it without any issues. You are using more weight than muscle.

I think the hooks may work well if you could get a straight pull on all the springs. I use a small set of needlenose pliers for the carb springs.

A method I have used numerous times to install and remove springs is to take a tongue depressor and cut or break it into a bunch of pieces. Start at either end of the spring, and slip the pieces between each of the coils. This effectively lengthens the spring, usually to the point that it can be easily removed or installed. This also does not mar the spring as some tools can do.

Does not work for compression springs though.

Doug Hereford

• 1 month later...

I'm telling you a 12" pair of needlenose pliers works great. I'll try and remember to take a picture of mine tomorrow with the notches I cut in the jaws so no matter what I gripped nothing would slip. With these you can use your weight and no spring is up for that.

Here are pictures of my 12" needlenose pliers with the grooves cut in the jaws with my trusty Dremel tool cut-off blade. The grooves keep these from slipping. I use them for grabbing fire sleeve and or hose and exhaust springs. Grab the springs on the bottom so the needle nose stick out to the side of the engine and parallel to the floor. Now just squeeze them and lean on them with a little weight and the spring is either off or back on. If you have something you can grab straight on then that works too. These have been indispensable for hose changes.

post-3-0-64060400-1444264305_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-00828000-1444264323_thumb.jpg

Archived