Wind Shear

Runtoeat

Has anyone experienced wind shear while going over the numbers on short final and about 50' from the ground?   Had a direct crosswind of 12 kts with gusts to 20 kts - conditions at my limit but in which I have flown before. Didn't expect the shear though.  I've experienced shear with head bumps on the roof while at altitude but never before have I had it happen near the ground and slowed down with throttle pulled back. 

Common occurrence at my home field.  

When you have a tail wind from both directions, or have to get tail winded as you land you find you eat up runway and things happen fast and your control is minimal.

I often land at the 4,000' maker to avoid the worst of the shear but then in a tail wind landing sometimes I have to use 'fallen leaf stall recovery (opposite rudder) to keep the touch down soft.  If negative sheer occurs suddenly as you descend you can transition from abundant buoyancy to sinking like a rock in an instant. 

Landing in shear can be really exciting, it tends to work out as long as you keep flying the plane.  If you can't control your rate of descent well make sure you have some energy in reserve to flare with.

I have on two different days, once off NC coast tried 3 times to land could not get plane

to settle it was up and down like a roller coaster on approach, decided to go back home.

One more time during training in CT dropped like a rock over numbers instructor said he never had

that happen in plane did go around and landed next time.

Hi Dick,

Once when I was a student pilot I experienced wind shear in the pattern at altitude. Shook me up as as I was a newbe.

Last year, with stronger winds and gust to 19 from the south east landing on rnwy 18 with wind spilling over the trees parallel to the rnwy, I experienced severe wind shear.

The approach was really rough. Over the numbers the bottom dropped out resulting in a hard landing and a go-around. I was not quick enough on the throttle to arrest the sink. After 2100 TOAL's maybe a little complacency set in. That was a well needed wake up call.

Thanks to all the input.  I did drop like a rock and by luck, I got a gust under me which arrested my sink at the last moment.  Wasn't prepared to jump on the throttle and also wasn't carrying enough short final extra airspeed for the conditions.  Rich hit the nail when he said the word "complaceny".  This was a learning experience which I hope is not forgotten.

Archived