CT not in the news...

CT4ME

This one article may do more to promote LSAs than anything I've seen in a decade:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/forget-flying-commercial-the-personal-airplane-is-taking-off-1444330932 

But the market leading CT isn't mentioned.  This goes to show how good the team at Icon has done promoting their product or, more realistically, how BAD everyone else has done. Sure, the CT and other LSAs have had an article or two, here and there, over the years.  But NOTHING like the press that Icon has generated... over 9 years.  The sad thing is, generating publicity isn't THAT hard.  You can see all Icon had to do over the last month was offer demo rides to any person claiming to be associated with media.  And speak with a "vision" on how they're making flying available to the common man.  The momentum starts to build its own momentum.

Here's a challenge to Flight Design and the other LSA manufacturers out there:  Build on the momentum that Icon has started.  Let's see a little push to re-acquaint the media with our "new" kind of aircraft.  Think of the story lines...  

Well, ICON may gen up interest in Light Sport which benefits all LSA makers.  When someone commits to learning to fly they will quickly learn the difference between the flashy overpriced ICON  and the other makers that offer far more for far less.

When someone commits to learning to fly they will quickly learn the difference between the flashy overpriced ICON  and the other makers that offer far more for far less.

Kindof. Aviation is a perfect example of how incredibly habitual people are. So if they've flown the ICON first, that's probably what they will stick with until someone wrestles them into another aircraft. Not saying that it would be hard, but I will say it probably won't happen on its own.

Kindof. Aviation is a perfect example of how incredibly habitual people are. So if they've flown the ICON first, that's probably what they will stick with until someone wrestles them into another aircraft. Not saying that it would be hard, but I will say it probably won't happen on its own

That seems more true for those training in a Cessna 172 IMHO.  I first flew a Zodiak low wing and never thought twice about buying one.  And the ICON will not be a trainer...far too expensive. 

I see ICON selling a few planes to wealthy types with large motor yachts that want a plane they can store on their boats for shore excursions.   In fact, that's how the idea for the plane got started up in Seattle...Microsoft money types want such a product.  These same people also own lake properties and would probably want the plane for the same reason...use the lake as a private airport...fun idea, but not for the masses.

Archived