Intercom

Tip

My passenger can't hear me through the intercom. It seems that the quelch knob isn't working as there is no adjustment. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Trouble with the intercom is probably more related to the 'sidetone' setting or the volume control.  The squelch is an all or nothing control - turn it slowly until you can hear yourself and the others.  If you never hear them and the volume is at least at half, then the PM3000 may be broken.  Also, make sure the Mode Select is set to ALL.

When the volume is turned up on the intercom you get terrible static in both headsets. The squelch does nothing including mute.i think the squelch pot is bad. We are going to look at the back side this morning. I'll be in Page this afternoon.

• 1 month later...

I made a call to PS Enginerring and they have a flat rate repair cost of $99.00 to repair the PM 3000. Within two hours of them receiving it, they call me and said it was toast. Way beyond economical repair as the ground pin had received voltage. Looking back, I had shorted out the landing light and it tripped its breaker. The intercom wasn't on at the time but I guess the voltage followed the negative lead back to the unit. Moral of the story, have everything off when messing with the wiring.

I guess I was lucky.

When I carelessly hooked my new battery up backwards, my intercom was one of two items "fried"*.

Sigtronics was able to repair mine, for just a tad more than the fixed rate you quoted.

Anyway, let that be 2015's biggest tragedy for you!

*The other was a blown fuse on my Garmin transponder, also fixed at a reasonable cost.

While sad story here: http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/2598-momentary-lapses-gumption-traps-and-fast-eddie-long/

Archived