Garmin 696 stopped working

Scott Lee

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this just get's stranger - Garmin came up and worked just fine today.

However I'm down for a while.  I had a hard landing a while back and broke one of the legs and replaced it.  During the preflight I discovered the other (right) leg is cracked so I'm grounded until I get it repaired.  It was ok when I practiced 4 landings last saturday. I didn't hit hard on any of them but suspect that the leg was weakened and the repeated stress from practicing landings was too much for it.

I'm still a student cleared to do solo work.  I have over 90 hours and over 170 takeoff/landings and I still have a hard time with landings.

I'm very discouraged.

Well this just get's stranger - Garmin came up and worked just fine today.

However I'm down for a while.  I had a hard landing a while back and broke one of the legs and replaced it.  During the preflight I discovered the other (right) leg is cracked so I'm grounded until I get it repaired.  It was ok when I practiced 4 landings last saturday. I didn't hit hard on any of them but suspect that the leg was weakened and the repeated stress from practicing landings was too much for it.

I'm still a student cleared to do solo work.  I have over 90 hours and over 170 takeoff/landings and I still have a hard time with landings.

I'm very discouraged.

Scott,

Don't be discouraged! They say that it takes 5 hours to learn to fly an airplane and 40 to land one. ;)

Seriously, this is truly one of those skills that can kick anyone's ass now and again. I've been flying for 25 years and on occasion (or three), I've fallen off the wagon of pristine landings. The first time, I was a 150 hour pilot. One afternoon, I botched a landing in my Mooney Ovation; after the second bounce, I went around. My next attempt (marginally successful) was more like wrestling the plane to the ground; I eventually won. What sucked was that it took me 3 weekends to get my finesse back. What helped me was my neighbor, who was an MD-88 captain, told me to relax and that it happens to everyone at one time or another. He laughed and said that this was the reason there are two pilots up front!

The harder you try, the more elusive the squeak of the mains touching down becomes. Relax, focus on speed and attitude control and the airplane will help you get it together.

Trust me, you will look back on this period as a learning experience!

Happy flying!

I'm very discouraged.

Don't get down on yourself, Scott.  I have had this conversation with a lot of pilots, and most agree the CT series is NOT an easy airplane to land compared to other types.  

I let my CFI and one of my good friends land my CTSW, and both remarked that it's not easy.  Another good friend of trained in a CTSW up through solo, then switched to a 172 for a few hours.  He marveled at how much easier the 172 was to land, calling it "easy mode". 

I have well over 500 landings in my CTSW, and did not really get fully confident until 250 or more.  I have made several where I was really surprised to have not bent anything, and a couple more that scared me with directional control issues on rollout.  Keep at it, you *will* get better at it.

The biggest challenge in landing the CT is energy management.  It runs out of energy and stops flying in an instant.  If that happens above the ground, it drops in for what I call a "carrier landing".  If you are too high, it will be a true hard landing.  My landings improved a LOT when I did two things:

1)  Rounded out / flared lower

2) Slowed down on approach & landing

The first ensures that when the airplane stops flying, you are no more than a few inches over the ground.  The second reduces the possibility of a balloon, which is what tends to happen in a CT when you round out with too much speed, even without gross over-controlling.  Once that balloon happens, you gain a little altitude and then the machine stops flying and drops in for that carrier landing.  If you roundout and balloon, there are two options:

1) go around

2) add a slight amount of power (200-300rpm) and let the airplane settle back to the runway.

I highly recommend option 1 while you are learning.  Later you can get fancy and save the landings, but until you get your landings down just go around.  If you do try option 2, and over-do it on the power and gain even more altitude or don't come back down, firewall it and go around.

For approach speeds, when solo I use 55kt for 15° flaps and around 52kt for 30° flaps.  Over the numbers in calm winds with 30° I will be 48-50kt, but if it's windy or there are gusts I will just hold the 52kt to the roundout.  I usually use 55kt for all flaps conditions when I have a passenger, slowing to 52kt over the numbers at 30° flaps.  Your numbers might be slightly higher since the longer CTLS tail is more prone to tail strikes at low speeds, but I doubt it would be more than a knot or two different. 

If you want to talk more about landings, PM me and I will give you my home phone number. 

Fortunately I never have hit nose first.  

I've had two incidents, the first where in a strong cross wind I bounced into the runway lights and had a prop strike.  I stood on the right rudder and got the plane back on the runway but also lost all electrical on impact, at a busy airport behind one jet and in front of another.  (Moline is class C) I got off the active, onto another runway as it turned out,  recycled everything and told the tower what happened and they cleared me to the FBO where I discovered the split prop.  (I have a couple extra props if someone needs one - I replaced all three.)

The second time was a "carrier" landing where I was too high and leaning slightly to the left to correct for wind.  I dropped onto the pilot side leg and split it in two.  I don't remember hearing a stall warning. I was able to taxi to my hanger and stood by the plane and wept.

So I think my dropping onto the runway probably damaged my right leg but it wasn't visible until it finally cracked open from repeated practice.  I have been watching my airspeed a lot closer but still have difficulty with runway alignment.

My first 30 hours were in a Cessna 172 and totally agree it is a lot easier to land.

I really appreciate everyone's encouragement.  I think everyone can understand how disheartening it is to have so many hours and still suck.  I also stink at ground reference maneuvers - I keep busting altitude by pulling up too much.  Replacing prop and landing gear is pricey but the emotional impact and wondering if I can ever figure this out is far worse.  

On top of everything else I have intermittent GPS failures and weird problems with Dynon startup and I start to wonder if God is trying to tell me something!

I'm a very persistent guy and I really want my certificate.  I'm not ready to quit yet, just wondering if I should.  Sometimes I am TOO persistent on a course of action, as my wife can attest.

Hi Scott,

It may not be you. It may be the way your CFI teaches. I have had lots of calls about this type of issue. You may just need to learn a different way, especially if he tries to teach like you're in a heavier certified aircraft or set in his ways.

Give me a call later today and let's talk.

Roger Lee

520-574-1080 H

520-349-7056 C

Tom is quite a ways away, Eric is even further.

When I bought the plane in June I hired Eric to help me fly the plane home and we spent 12 wonderful hours together in the plane and I learned a ton.  I agree he is terrific.

I really like my instructor and don't blame him.  He has lots of hours in a CT.  I had shopped around and talked with 4 local instructors and picked him as the best.  I have no complaints and am very reluctant to put any blame elsewhere as it seems unfair.  He wasn't with me when I dropped the plane on the runway.

But I think the suggestion to have a second set of eyes is a good one.  I recently met a CFI in a local flight club and I'm asking him to tag along and see if he can help.  But he doesn't have any CTLS experience.

I just got a bit of good news, the mechanic found a leg (FD is out of stock) and I might have a working plane as early as next Wednesday.  By then I should have the batteries for the 696 and the Dynons.

Thanks again for all the kind comments.  I feel privileged to be part of this group of CT owners.  You folks are great!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

'Been having the "won't turn on issue again"... either no Garmin logo, or it just hangs at the Garmin logo.  Took it out and removed the battery and put it back in... still wouldn't turn on.  Hooked it up to AC power and everything powered-up fine.  I took the opportunity to update to version 7.40 (from Aug 2016).  Used the USB cable method, worked fine.  I noticed the battery said "charging" for a long time and, afterward, the unit turned on from battery OK.  I'll put it back in the plane and try it, but I think it's time to buy a new battery.

Bill,, good thought on the internal battery.

Timi. I'm wondering if the removable battery is NiCad battery?  These do have "memories" and sometimes can be completely discharged and then charged a few times to try to restore their capacity. Could your removal and full charging have brought back some or all of the battery's capacity?  I'm thinking if the GPS has been used without engine running for programming or setups while on the external battery, it may not ever get a good full charge while installed in the plane?

This is a replacement for the internal battery on the X96 series GPS (not sure if it applies to the 696):

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=sy103

This battery is a little higher capacity than the original (5.8mAh verses 3.0mAh), but as I recall is the same physical size. I have replaced several for myself and others. The purpose of the battery is to keep the clock running so that the GPS knows where to look for satellites when it is turned on. If the battery is dead it may take up to 30  minutes to lock on. It is important to know that this battery only recharges when the GPS is turned on and connected to power. If you have one sitting on a self, make a habit of recharging the unit over night about once per month, even if the removable battery does not indicate it needs recharging, so that this internal battery will stay charged.

I got a little help from the web:)

Let me look and see if I still have my cheat sheet.

BTW, if you fill out a paper order form from DigiKey and send a check with the amount of the order (plus sales tax for MN residents) and mail it to them, they will fill your order and mail it to you without a shipping charge. Pretty good deal in my opinion.

Timi. I'm wondering if the removable battery is NiCad battery?  

The removable battery is NiMh, so it shouldn't have a memory problem, but could self-discharge over time.  Garmin tech said to charge the battery and see if it holds a good charge.  Otherwise, replacement is likely needed.

Archived