Garmin 696 stopped working

Scott Lee

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually think I am going to break something about the time it snaps out.

'Gotta agree, with it tilted out to the max, just pull hard up and out.  Once it's free of the mount (1"), the cables are easily removed.  You'll see the little C-like clamps that hold it in... they need to be filed just a smidge to make future removals a non-event.

I never really learned the 696 until I played with it for hours at home, out of the mount.

That doc looks similar to what the CTLSi and 796 but the mount is apparently different.  The Garmin is released from the mount (and cutout in the panel) by turning a small screw on the right side mid of the unit.  Using an allen wrench and turning the screw away from the unit rotates the tang the screw controls and the Garmin is ready to pry from the panel.  There is a single wire connected to it on the left top corner that is removed as you pull it out.

There is an SD slot, but the best way to update the unit is to connect it to a PC and download directly into it either using the cables provided or the cradle provided.  The updates are done about once per month...about the same time as the Dynon updates which are done via USB stick.

The CTLSi also has a dedicated breaker just for the unit.

This is the AirGizmo panel dock: 696_side.jpg

Is this what you have?

That is exactly what it looks like but mine doesn't rotate forward as much.  Maybe I need to put a little more force on the knob that rotates the unit out.

I love the idea of taking it home and playing with it!  I've read the documentation but without the unit in front of you I don't get the reinforcement I need to remember the steps.

To respond to 100hamburger - I spoke with Garmin when I was purchasing the database update subscription and they told me the 696 is unique as the SD card is the only way to do a firmware/database update.

Indeed I have a separate breaker for the Garmin.  I toggled it several times and it feels like a breaker should.  My main breaker that I replaced was a bit loose and "squishy" and the new one is stiff and solid.  The GPS breaker is solid.

As an EE I can tell you that having breakers for the main/alternator switch isn't the kind of use for which they are designed.  I've seen a lot of discussions on flaky electrical problems and wonder how many of those problems are related to those breakers. Take a look at my post  http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/3457-flaky-electrical-problem-solved/

Scott,

While the SD card can be used for updates, I've always used the USB cable and the Garmin website.  With the unit connected to a USB cable, you just run the downloaded program and it does the update. At one point it was called the "webupdater".   I believe it can be done via The "FlyGarmin.com" website, too.  I think the advantage of the FlyGarmin website might be you also have access to updates for maps, obstacles, airport info, etc.

post-2-0-81677600-1446163013_thumb.jpg

I've been out flying four times since my original post and the Garmin 696 booted every time without a problem.  

But I've had to force a reboot on one of the two Dynon's a couple times after turning on the avionics switch because either the MFD or PFD doesn't come up.  After a forced restart on the non-working display everything is ok.  Yesterday I had the EMS system initially fail to come up.  I shut down and restarted and everything came up normal.  But then I had a EMS failure message that won't go away during an hour cross country flight, but all of the engine information was still displayed and looks right.  (No red "X"s, but that sure made me nervous.) I sure wasn't going to force a Dynon reboot in flight!  I'm going out tomorrow to see if the problem reoccurs.

Since I bought the plane I have been getting a battery self test failed on the Dynons. FD says it is the Dynon backup battery that needs to be replaced.  ($180 each, need two)  I wonder if it would change the symptoms if I replaced those batteries.

I'm on 11.1 of Skyview but I had similar issues on 6.2.

I guess the CTLS is prone to spooky problems.

I've been out flying four times since my original post and the Garmin 696 booted every time without a problem.  

But I've had to force a reboot on one of the two Dynon's a couple times after turning on the avionics switch because either the MFD or PFD doesn't come up.  After a forced restart on the non-working display everything is ok.  Yesterday I had the EMS system initially fail to come up.  I shut down and restarted and everything came up normal.  But then I had a EMS failure message that won't go away during an hour cross country flight, but all of the engine information was still displayed and looks right.  (No red "X"s, but that sure made me nervous.) I sure wasn't going to force a Dynon reboot in flight!  I'm going out tomorrow to see if the problem reoccurs.

Since I bought the plane I have been getting a battery self test failed on the Dynons. FD says it is the Dynon backup battery that needs to be replaced.  ($180 each, need two)  I wonder if it would change the symptoms if I replaced those batteries.

I'm on 11.1 of Skyview but I had similar issues on 6.2.

I guess the CTLS is prone to spooky problems.

FD doesn't make the Garmin or the Dynon gear so they can't be blamed for the finicky operation of those products.  

The Dynon Skyview PFD will often not come up right after switching the Master On in the CT (and require the Master to be toggled off then on again).  And the Garmin 796 does have it's own memory issues that Garmin acknowledges (namely it will freeze randomly in the air or on the ground after swiping the screen too rapidly).  The fix is to pull the breaker for the GPS and reset it.

Also, if the battery in any Garmin portable wears out the unit will start to freeze and act strangely.  Remember, it is a portable.

When cold starting, first press Batt, then wait for the MFD to come up all the way so you can see the tach (do not let the engine go above 2k rpm when cold).  Then press Gen and start the engine.  Once the engine is started and the idle stabilized, switch on the Master before the other switches.  The Garmin will come up and the PFD should also start to boot.  If the PFD stays dark, re-toggle the Master. 

Once the Garmin and two Skyviews are up and booting, toggle the other switches on as needed (I dont use the landing light unless I am flying at night and I never use the Aux Pump).

In reverse, when shutting down...(first note hobbs time), then turn off the Master and answer the power off on both Dynon PFD and Garmin.  Then toggle to off the other switches.  Then pull the Gen, then Batt and answer the power off for the MFD.  Then turn the key off.

When putting the bird to bed do not leave the brakes on.  Use chocks and set the brakes to off.  Also set the fuel shutoff valve to off.  Make sure both doors are also shut and latched (some have gotten warping of the doors if left loose over an extended period between flights).

And the Garmin does have it's own memory issues that Garmin acknowledges (namely it will freeze randomly in the air or on the ground after swiping the screen too rapidly).

You can swipe the screen on a 696 all day long with no affect except fingerprints. The 696 is not a touchscreen. lol

FD doesn't make the Garmin or the Dynon gear so they can't be blamed for the finicky operation of those products.  

The Dynon Skyview PFD will often not come up right after switching the Master On in the CT (and require the Master to be toggled off then on again).  And the Garmin does have it's own memory issues that Garmin acknowledges (namely it will freeze randomly in the air or on the ground after swiping the screen too rapidly).  The fix is to pull the breaker for the GPS and reset it.

Also, if the battery in the Garmin wears out the unit will start to freeze and act strangely.  Remember, it is a portable.

When cold starting, first press Batt, then wait for the MFD to come up all the way so you can see the tach (do not let the engine go above 2k rpm when cold).  Then press Gen and start the engine.  Once the engine is started and the idle stabilized, switch on the Master before the other switches.  The Garmin will come up and the PFD should also start to boot.  If the PFD stays dark, re-toggle the Master. 

Once the Garmin and two Skyviews are up and booting, toggle the other switches on as needed (I dont use the landing light unless I am flying at night and I never use the Aux Pump).

In reverse, when shutting down...(first note hobbs time), then turn off the Master and answer the power off on both Dynon PFD and Garmin.  Then toggle to off the other switches.  Then pull the Gen, then Batt and answer the power off for the MFD.  Then turn the key off.

When putting the bird to bed do not leave the brakes on.  Use chocks and set the brakes to off.  Also set the fuel shutoff valve to off.  Make sure both doors are also shut and latched (some have gotten warping of the doors if left loose over an extended period between flights).

A couple observations - all manufacturers are more integrator that makers of their equipment.  The complexity of a supply chain is really amazing.  So if you are driving a Ford and it's made of components from dozens of OEM's, Ford is who we talk about as the responsible party.  The same holds true of Flight Design even though we all understand the Garmin and Dynon are responsible for their hardware and software development.

Aux Pump?  Maybe your plane has one but my CTLS does not.

Some of your terminology is confusing and maybe labeled something different in newer planes.  For example, when you talk about the the "main" it means the main electrical breaker that powers up the Dynon.  The statement about starting the plane first and then engaging the main isn't possible because you cannot crank the engine without the main breaker engaged.  Engaging the generator before starting the plane can cause an electrical surge and possibly damage avionics, so that is a really bad idea.  It is also a bad idea because you are putting a lot more resistance on the engine during startup.  I simply follow the FD checklist on start-up and shutdown.  For shutdown the procedure is to pull the generator, turn off avionics, turn off the engine and then pull the main breaker. Maybe your CTLSi has a different checklist, I don't know as I've never seen one.

Doug ridiculed  your comment about swiping the screens was as you have a 796 and I have a 696 and Doug is right, it most certainly isn't a touch screen.

I have two purposes for taking the time to point these things out - first I don't want someone who doesn't know better to follow erroneous advice.  Secondly I would urge you to be very careful that what you write is factual and applicable to the subject at hand.  I see a lot of snarky comments regarding your posts and I think you could help your reputation by making sure you don't publish in error.

A couple observations - all manufacturers are more integrator that makers of their equipment.  The complexity of a supply chain is really amazing.  So if you are driving a Ford and it's made of components from dozens of OEM's, Ford is who we talk about as the responsible party.  The same holds true of Flight Design even though we all understand the Garmin and Dynon are responsible for their hardware and software development.

Aux Pump?  Maybe your plane has one but my CTLS does not.

Some of your terminology is confusing and maybe labeled something different in newer planes.  For example, when you talk about the the "main" it means the main electrical breaker that powers up the Dynon.  The statement about starting the plane first and then engaging the main isn't possible because you cannot crank the engine without the main breaker engaged.  Engaging the generator before starting the plane can cause an electrical surge and possibly damage avionics, so that is a really bad idea.  It is also a bad idea because you are putting a lot more resistance on the engine during startup.  I simply follow the FD checklist on start-up and shutdown.  For shutdown the procedure is to pull the generator, turn off avionics, turn off the engine and then pull the main breaker. Maybe your CTLSi has a different checklist, I don't know as I've never seen one.

Doug ridiculed  your comment about swiping the screens was as you have a 796 and I have a 696 and Doug is right, it most certainly isn't a touch screen.

I have two purposes for taking the time to point these things out - first I don't want someone who doesn't know better to follow erroneous advice.  Secondly I would urge you to be very careful that what you write is factual and applicable to the subject at hand.  I see a lot of snarky comments regarding your posts and I think you could help your reputation by making sure you don't publish in error.

Doug was wrong to ridicule anyone on the board.  You asked for advise on your problems and I happily gave you some from my experience with the product.   I used the term 'Master' not main, you should read it again.  The Master is the Avionics Master switch and it should be present on your plane as well.

The sequence I gave you is proper and correct.  You should first press Batt, wait for the MFD to come up full so you can see the tach.  Then press Gen and start the engine with all other switches on the av panel off.  Make sure the RPM at idle while the engine is cold is below 2k.  Then press the MASTER avionics switch to bring up the Garmin and the PFD.

You see snarky commentary because some on the board choose to be snarky...that isn't my problem, it's theirs.

There are several models and varied configurations of the Flight Design.  And there are shared issues among all the permutations of the product.  It is reasonable to include and discuss them all in a given thread.

I was not ridiculing you. I just found it funny thinking about tapping the screen on my 696.

But, I would agree that you should take more care in how you offer advice. The title of this post states that it is a 696. The rest of the conversation has been about a 696. You were wrong to offer advice that applies to a 796.

I don't appreciate the unwarranted criticism.

It is not my intent or desire to start a flame war.  100hamburger I assumed that your intention was to be helpful.  After reading lots of posts and seeing a consistent negative response to your posts, my desire was to help you understand why people react poorly to you. Clear communication is the responsibility of both the sender and receiver.  Saying that snarky comments is someone else s issue ignores your part in communication. If people consistently treat you disrespectfully, I suggest you consider your part in their reactions.  For example, you never admitted that you were wrong about giving 796 advice on a 696 tread.  Or talking about an Aux Pump.  In fact I don't recall a single instance where you correct a misstatement. Being wrong and not admitting it causes disrespect. Enough said.

Doug, I am sorry for using the word ridicule.  I initially laughed at your comment as you obviously intended. I wasn't careful enough in my word choice and it provoked a critical response directed at you and that's my fault.

Well I've gone out twice more and the 696 totally stopped working. Based on the advice above I fiddled with the 696 and managed to pull it, reseated the connections and took the battery out and reseated it. No luck. I read elsewhere that the 696 battery shoul be replaced every couple of years and the plane Is five, so I ordered a new battery.

And since I've had problems getting both dynons to come up and I'm getting a battery self test failed on both units, I ordered new backup Dynon batteries.

I'll let everyone know if new batteries fix the problems.

"It is not my intent or desire to start a flame war. 100hamburger I assumed that your intention was to be helpful. After reading lots of posts and seeing a consistent negative response to your posts, my desire was to help you understand why people react poorly to you. Clear communication is the responsibility of both the sender and receiver. Saying that snarky comments is someone else s issue ignores your part in communication. If people consistently treat you disrespectfully, I suggest you consider your part in their reactions. For example, you never admitted that you were wrong about giving 796 advice on a 696 tread. Or talking about an Aux Pump. In fact I don't recall a single instance where you correct a misstatement. Being wrong and not admitting it causes disrespect. Enough said."

Others (myself included) have tried a similar approach. No joy. The best we can do is counter with facts. :-)

Others (myself included) have tried a similar approach. No joy. The best we can do is counter with facts. :-)

I figured it was worth a try.  I've been in business 20 years and fired people for simply being unwilling to accept responsibility for their actions.  (Mistakes are never their fault) A person can't grow and improve if they won't recognize when they are wrong.  I have a saying that makes fun of this attitude - "I once thought I was wrong, but was mistaken."  :lol:  I don't personally know 100hamburger but it sure feels familiar.  

I purchased the Garmin 696 battery from Marv Golden Pilot supplies, with shipping it was $192.28.  I'm hoping it fixes the 696.

I purchased the Dynon batteries from Gold Coast Avionics for $175 each, free shipping.

I tried several places but was unsuccessful finding a vendor that had both items.

Archived