PBOR II - You Won't Like It

gbigs

The Pilot Bill Of Rights....3rd class medical reform.  Forget what it once was or was supposed to be...guys that have long left their medicals behind or can't pass a medical today are not gonna like it:

The new version will require new pilots to receive an initial FAA medical exam to serve as a health baseline. Pilots who haven't had an FAA medical exam in more than 10 years will need to get one as well. After that, most private pilots flying single-engine airplanes and carrying no more than five passengers will never need to receive an FAA medical exam again.

They will, however, need to take an online course once every two years and see their personal physician once every four years and make a note of the visit in their logbook.

Pilots who have had a heart condition involving surgery, mental, or neurological issues would be required to go through the special issuance medical process once.

Read more at http://www.flyingmag.com/news/medical-reform-moves-forward-big-changes#5EfjZ3kOYG4EebQ2.99

I think its pretty good actually. I always thought there would be a 'baseline' medical  for new pilots and for those with an SI. I really thought that EVERY pilot would be required to have a baseline medical NOW before moving forward but this proposal allows for a medical within the past 10 years.

Based on this the pilot can fly up to 6000lbs, VFR/IFR,  up to 18000' and at night, with up to 5 passengers if I recall correctly….seems to me it actually does more than pilot groups were originally asking for.

You still have to have a valid drivers license and those who thought they might sneak in the back door with no medical scrutiny at all were misled from the outset.

For those of us happy and content to fly Light Sport, nothing will change.

If you are flying as a sport pilot right now because you can't pass a 3rd class medical then you will be flying LSA from now on.   Many hoped they could simply return to flying their 172s.

"Pilots who have had a heart condition involving surgery, mental, or neurological issues would be required to go through the special issuance medical process once."  Most won't bother if they have such medical history.

Those who can pass a 3rd class have no worries and are likely already flying certified aircraft.  Those who cannot will be restricted to LSA. 

If you are flying as a sport pilot right now because you can't pass a 3rd class medical then you will be flying LSA from now on. Many hoped they could simply return to flying their 172s.

"Pilots who have had a heart condition involving surgery, mental, or neurological issues would be required to go through the special issuance medical process once." Most won't bother if they have such medical history.

Those who can pass a 3rd class have no worries and are likely already flying certified aircraft. Those who cannot will be restricted to LSA.

To continue flying Light Sport you will still need to maintain a valid drivers license which includes not losing your license for DUI etc as well as complying with any medically related restrictions on the DL such as glasses etc This will be the same for pilots flying under the new proposal.

Or you could fly a glider which has no medical requirement at all. Interestingly, you could fly a self launch motor glider such as the Phoenix ,which has a Rotax engine, also with no medical requirement. You can launch shut off the engine and soar or switch it back on for landing, if you want. Plus you can remove the wing tips and fly a more efficient cross country on a par with some LSAs and still not require a medical at all.

In other words you're not restricted to only LSA just because of the medical issue.

It's true that there are a number of folks who thought reform meant removing any and all medical requirements which previously prevented them from flying at all. Many of us could continue to pass FAA medicals at levels all the way up to First Class but many of us also relish the basic simplicity of Light Sport flying and so will chose to stay as we are. Personally, I'm probably not going to fly an airplane up to 6000 lbs up to 18000' or at night or under IFR, with up to 5 passengers.Been there, done that.

If I change my mind I'll go get the baseline medical.

Medicals seem easy to healthy people...  right up until they are not...  :D   (says the used to be very healthy guy that now has 2 stents in his left descending coronary artery thanks to a genetic defect)

I think the one nice thing is for people who struggle to keep a third class is the fact that you only have to go through the special issuance process once every 10 years instead of every 12 months. 

Here is a conundrum for you:  If you were ever denied a medical you cannot fly under sport rules with a drivers license.  So, imagine a sport pilot who never had a third class medical that is flying legally who goes to have his or her 10 year baseline done to upgrade license and fails...  Do they now lose their ability to keep flying LSA with a drivers license?  Hmm....

Here is a conundrum for you:  If you were ever denied a medical you cannot fly under sport rules with a drivers license.  So, imagine a sport pilot who never had a third class medical that is flying legally who goes to have his or her 10 year baseline done to upgrade license and fails...  Do they now lose their ability to keep flying LSA with a drivers license?  Hmm....

Adam, to me this "catch-22" is the worst aspect of the medical system and most in need of change.  It's really the reason why I decided to side-step the whole medical process and go Sport Pilot.  I have some minor health issues like hypothyroidism, but probably nothing that would keep me from a medical.  But I'm also 49 years old and as they say:  "stuff happens".  

It really is a load off my mind to just keep up with my personal doctor and keep flying, while some of my flying friends are hoop-jumping.  I'd say I made the right choice.

I think the one nice thing is for people who struggle to keep a third class is the fact that you only have to go through the special issuance process once every 10 years instead of every 12 months. 

Adam -- I don't think the bill has a requirement to go through an SI every ten years.  From the article:

Pilots who have had a heart condition involving surgery, mental issues or neurological disorders would be required to go through the special issuance medical process once.

Presumably though, if you're going along and then develop an issue, or another SI type issue, then you'd be required to 'report it' by having another SI? The article doesn't say but then it is just an article and not the final ruling.

And every condition reported requiring an SI is a roll of the dice that you will never be able to fly even LSA ever again, even under the new bill.  To me it would not be worth the risk, but others have different opinions and circumstances.

Medicals seem easy to healthy people...  right up until they are not...  :D   (says the used to be very healthy guy that now has 2 stents in his left descending coronary artery thanks to a genetic defect)

Correct.  Failing an aviation medical grounds you...even as a sport pilot.  

PBORII is a different bill than was originally proposed.  I have no problem with it passing.  My main issue was the government switching horses in mid-stream.  An entire niche industry sprung up on the DL medical rule (SLSA/LSA) and to suddenly allow DL flyers a way to get back to their tin-crates and wipe out a potential customer base for light sport after a decade of product development by some innovative and hard working companies seemed wrong to me.

LSA should survive or die on it's own merits.

Agree, the government should make aviation decisions based on aviation concerns, not on picking which industry segments will benefit.

That said, I can see the argument that if government is capricious and changes rules often, industry players will become gun-shy and unwilling to participate in general aviation if it's viewed as having an unreliable regulatory structure.

In this case, the FAA has been consistent for decades.  It's Congress that is forcing this change after years of a hands-off stance, so it's hard to see how anybody is really changing mid-stream.  This is just the legislative branch having a small turf war with the executive branch.  We happen to be caught in the middle, but eventually it will stabilize and be safe for investment again.

Agree, the government should make aviation decisions based on aviation concerns, not on picking which industry segments will benefit.

That said, I can see the argument that if government is capricious and changes rules often, industry players will become gun-shy and unwilling to participate in general aviation if it's viewed as having an unreliable regulatory structure.

The 'government' is the culprit (as I stated originally)...the FAA is part of the government.  Congress is part of the government.  The 'government' makes laws and regulations that pervert the efforts of the private sector.  And when the government switches horses in midstream it destroys the good efforts of hard working people.  Regardless of whether it comes from a regulatory agency  or congress who oversees that federal bureaucracy.

I haven't read the bill recently, so I don't remember all the specifics.  I am still within the 10 year window so, if signed into law by 4/30/16, I should be OK to fly whatever I want.  If I drop outside of the 10 year window, I would never submit to another FAA medical assessment.  The risk is just too high that something might pop up that would ground me for life.  Getting back into a Cessna, Piper, or Mooney would be highly desirable, but not enough to risk another FAA medical.

I agree. As badly as I'd like to fly 4 seaters again, I won't risk losing LSA privileges with a visit to an AME.  

Here is what Inhofe is going after right now...but is still getting some heat from ALPA over the last sentence...

FAA has 180 days to implement after bill becomes law

Possesses a valid State driver's license and complies with any medical requirement associated with that license
Not more than 5 passengers
Flys under VFR or IFR
No flight for compensation
Not more than 14,000 feet above MSL
No flights outside the United States
 IAS under 250kts
6000 lbs max gross
Take an online aeromedical course every two years
Make logbook entry certifying a doctor visit once in four years (and list needed treatment for medical conditions)
A comprehensive medical review by the FAA for new pilots
Pilots without medicals for more than 10 years also would need the one-time certification
Pilots with current medicals exempt
Lapsed medicals within 10 years would be exempt from the one-time certification (ALPA is expected to nix this)

November 18, 2015
WASHINGTON - Today, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.

1. Vote on final passage deferred/postponed: S. 571, Pilot Bill of Rights 2, Sponsors: Sens. James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Joe Manchin (D-W.V.), and 67 bipartisan cosponsors

a. Approved Manchin substitute amendment
b. Nelson 1 amendment not agreed to, 11-13 vote
c. Nelson 4 amendment not agreed to, 11-13 vote

• 4 weeks later...

Archived