Header wrap

procharger

You wrap to reduce radiated and convected heat. If you run the engine and put your hand on your bare exhaust pipe you leave skin. If you wrap and do the same you can put your hand there and keep your skin. The wrap MFG says up to a 70% reduction in heat. I don't usually believe all MFG's claims, but when I can put my hand on a hot exhaust they have a valid claim. Before I wrapped many years ago my rubber engine isolator behind the #3 exhaust pipe was cracked fairly bad. Since I have wrapped no more cracking. The wrap will help protect your wire insulation and hose life under the cowl.It will also stop any blow-by at the exhaust knuckle at the muffler.  It will not affect the EGT's or the engine performance.

Header wrap was originally designed for racers to keep hot exhaust gases hot until they exit the exhaust pipe. If it cooled too much it caused back pressure which would cost them a very small amount of HP.

I have now been using it for 8 years on my SW with no issues. I know many more that use it and have not had any issues.

It comes in 50' rolls from auto parts stores. You'll use approximately 54" per pipe and takes about 1 hr. to do all four pipes.

Andy,

Tell them how your exhaust pipe was. Post that picture.

If you ever get a cracked pipe you'll know it wrapped or not. our pipes rarely ever just crack. They snap all the way across.

You won't get just a small crack beginning and most likely wouldn't know it with or without the wrap.

Safe answer: yes

Realistic answer: possibly, but IMO this is a tiny change that means a lot of safety which helps keep hoses from being burned through (had one that did get the fire sleeve damaged which is what motivated getting serious about it), and we're not changing any functionality. That, and LOAs take forever to get right now.

Archived