My Shortest Runway Yet

FlyingMonkey

I agree with Mike.  

Johnson Creek should not be a problem, it's nice grass and a lot of Cherokees and 172s land there.  I think the High Sierra landing area is better than some paved runways, and quite long.

The strip I posted to start this topic is 1200ft (and as I mentioned, part of it is too rough to use for a CT and just really an overrun area) and at about the limit for what I will do with non-tundra gear in my CT.  The surface is a bit bumpy and the grass was about 4" tall.  If the grass was not recently mowed, I would not have attempted the landing.  If I had a passenger, I would not have attempted the landing.  If the winds were not favorable...well, you get the idea.

Thanks Mike and Andy. As I mentioned about Steve's video, I have no desire for those type of landings in a CT, the positive response for Johnson Creek and the High Sierra gathering is what I was hoping for. Andy is right about the type of aircraft that have shown up at those two gatherings. As slippery as the CT is, I guess I'll be practicing slips on final to get down. 

Thanks Mike and Andy. As I mentioned about Steve's video, I have no desire for those type of landings in a CT, the positive response for Johnson Creek and the High Sierra gathering is what I was hoping for. Andy is right about the type of aircraft that have shown up at those two gatherings. As slippery as the CT is, I guess I'll be practicing slips on final to get down. 

Probably, but with flap settings of 30° to 40° (depending on model of CT), the CT comes down pretty steeply.  Add a slip on top of those flap settings and you can come down like a meteor.  Sometimes that's just what the doctor ordered.  :)

Archived