Government Putting More Ethanol in Our Fuel

Runtoeat

Ok, I repeat. What does government subsidy for ethanol sent to China have to do with the fuel put in my CT?

If the government subsidies and mandates didn't exist then you would have ethanol free / lead free gas and a very happy CT.  If we demand that our representatives actually represent our interests perhaps we can have gas that makes all of our CTs happy as well as our other vehicles?

There is no good reason to put corn in our gas so to make sense of it we have to look to bad reasons.  My best guess is that the corn growing regions hire lobbyists that obtain the subsidies in farm subsidy and EPA bills.  That kind of money flows pretty freely.  Now that ethanol is well entrenched I have to ask if there is behind the scenes political pressure or support to subsidize the Chinese allowing them to claim progress on global warming?  If this is true it might be more difficult to persuade our representatives to abandon the ethanol subsidies and mandates.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is unfortunate that site admin takes such a hands-off approach to the drift of CT Flier from a site about FD airplanes to some kind of current evens discussion for CT pilots.  Lots of knowledgeable posters are gone which is a real loss to the community (not that I blame them…).

Its not my thread its Dick's, he posed the political question:

The present administration is mandating that refiners add more methanol into gasoline.  Sure makes a lot of sense to push for costly ethanol production that screws up fuel systems when we've got a glut of cheap and clean petroleum coming online here in the U.S.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-21/kinder-morgan-andersons-plan-ethanol-projects-as-demand-rises?cmpid=yhoo.headline

I'm agreeing with the original post, the administration's mandate doesn't make sense.  Sending taxpayer dollars to China in the process shows this isn't about sense its about politicians getting paid off to force us to by corn.  It effects our CTs because they are better off without the ethanol.  Dick is within his rights to bring this up and I agree it makes less sense in light of the glut of cheap oil.

How is this thread not about 'Fuels and fluids'?

Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means it attracts water. I do not want water in the fuel system of my car, my motorcycle or/ and my CTLS.

Cheers

And it's corrosive.  It attacks seals and hoses pretty aggressively.  And the hydroscopic properties can draw water to metal components, promoting corrosion.

Overall, it's a poor additive for gasoline engines.  It would be okay if burned in an engine and fuel system designed for straight ethanol, but gasoline engines are designed for it only as an afterthought, if at all.

If you built an ethanol engine, you would not use gasoline as a 10% additive.  Nor should you use ethanol as a 10% additive in gasoline engines.  The fuels are just not very compatible.  And there is no good technical reason to mandate a mix of the two when the primary fuel (gasoline) is readily available and at five year lows in price.  But again, ethanol in gasoline is a political decision and not a technical one, which is why this discussion derails into politics so easily.

Water injection is often used on high horsepower motors to cool the air charge and increase power. I had a Mustang drag race car with water injection in place of an intercooler for the supercharger.

But water injection sprays water into the intake tract. It gets into the cylinders, and boils to high temp steam during combustion, exiting through the exhaust with no harm. It never makes contact with liquid fuel in the fuel system.

They used water injection in WWII. Didn't seem to be a bad thing.

Yes but , first, it was a water alcohol mixture injected for short periods of time and it burned off completely, when used. The engine was made for that. My car's , motorcycle and Rotax engine are not made for that, nor is the fuel system of most single engine piston aircraft currently sold in the US.

Cheers

Yup, I know all that, thus the smilie at the end. I did find the BMW article interesting. Is it possible that water injection could take the place of ethanol, eventually? (If electric doesn't get there first?)

Personally, I think Hydrogen cell technology is probably closer and better than plug in electrics. But then again , it is my opinion.

Cheers

Personally, I think Hydrogen cell technology is probably closer and better than plug in electrics. But then again , it is my opinion.

Cheers

The problem is the infrastructure to support mass use. I think it is a good option. It would even increase payload. :)

I always express my own opinion. Unless I was doing parody, I don't know how I would do otherwise - there is only one voice in my head, mine. :D

Archived