Vbrs

FlyingMonkey

I'm pretty sure my POH has no speed listed higher than Vne.  But this POH I looked at today:

http://www.theandyzone.com/flight/lsa/docs/CT_POH_2006.pdf

contains the following in the speeds section:

---------

4.4   Never exceed speed (VNE)

VNE :  Never-exceed speed

VBRS:  Maximum emergency parachute system operating speed

VNE:         145KCAS                  269kmCAS

VBRS:        160KCAS                 296kmCAS

---------

I have never before seen a specific BRS activation maximum speed in print, and always assumed that such a number was equal to Vne.  Has anyone else seen this before?   I'm 95% sure it's not in the POH that came with my 2007 CTSW, though this could be an earlier or later POH revision.  I will check my POH next time I'm at the hangar.

I have always been confused about the variation in Vne, I have a 2006 CTSW here in Canada which has a POH Vne listed as 162 knots.  I believe it is the exact same airframe as the CTSW's in the US, just operated under Canadian Advanced Ultralight regulations that limit max weight to 1232 lbs.  The only difference is we have no speed or altitude limitations and can reflex flaps to -12 and have a constant speed prop.  Can anyone explain the Vne difference?  Should give comfort to you all that the real Vne is 162 knots and I have flown it that fast and nothing fell off.

I sure wish Canada would allow U.S. Light Sport Pilots to fly there. If I understand correctly it has to do with the lack of a medical. What is going to happen when the PP medical (basically) goes away?

Our EAA group has a great relationship with the Winnipeg RAA group, they visit us and we meet at the International Peace Gardens, but I cannot go to Winnipeg.

well, you made me search my files...

the POH I took the above info is a PDF and is dated February 28th 2005 with a revision on Oct 5th 2005.

but....I found a paper copy '' Flight and Maintenance Manual '' CT2K & CTSW

which is dated February 28th 2005 (only) and THIS ONE indicate a 162 kts VNE

also,  in the PDF version, the yellow arc start at 120kts,.  while on the paper version, yellow arc start at 130 kts

My ''guess'' is that the lower speed version is for the US version at higher gross weight [1320 vs 1232 lbs ]

I sure wish Canada would allow U.S. Light Sport Pilots to fly there. If I understand correctly it has to do with the lack of a medical. What is going to happen when the PP medical (basically) goes away?

Our EAA group has a great relationship with the Winnipeg RAA group, they visit us and we meet at the International Peace Gardens, but I cannot go to Winnipeg.

The issue is related to mutual recognition of a Private license or higher. I have a Private and can fly my CT into the US but if I just had the Ultra Light Permit I could not. I believe it is related to both countries recognizing a standard of training associated with the Private license and the associated medical that validates it. I would love to see Canada adopt the US LSA medical requirement and eventually head the same direction with the Private. It will be interesting to see howTransport Canada reacts once the US has a bunch of Private pilots without current medicals wanting to cross the border.

I'd like to fly to Alaska sometime...the offshore coastal route avoiding Canadian airspace does not appeal to me in the least.

Me too. I used to live in Valdez before our airport started hosting the annual STOL contest and would like to get back to visit friends and watch the contest. Doesn't Canada want our tourist dollars?

Me too. I used to live in Valdez before our airport started hosting the annual STOL contest and would like to get back to visit friends and watch the contest. Doesn't Canada want our tourist dollars?

The issue is probably more related to the bureaucracy not knowing quite how to handle the Sport Pilot rules in relation to the Canadian licensing structure.  If all of their licensing is ICAO based and they like that consistency, it's hard to justify an exception for the very few extra dollars we could generate.  If the medical reform goes through and many thousands more pilots in the USA are flying without medicals, then Canada might feel the need for a rules change.  Hopefully we Sport Pilots could piggyback on that.  

Archived