Turbulence in CT versus heavier plane

Cluemeister

I've flown all the models you have listed and the CT handles turbulence very well for its weight especially at the negative flap setting for cruise. Out of those you listed the Cirrus rides the best but its almost 3x the weight and almost twice as fast. The CT has a little more yawing motion in turbulance then a Cessna but is more responsive in recovery and overall feels more controllable after disruption.

For me that's a tough question.  No doubt that the worst flight by far I have experienced was in my CTSW, I was in lee side turbulence for a solid hour and I was quite uncomfortable and concerned.  I didn't have the opportunity to then fly a Cessna in the same conditions so its still a bit of a guess.

I would group the 172 and CT due to light wing loading with the CT being more responsive in recovery.  I would group the Cirrus and 182 similarly again due to heavier wing loading.

In my mind there are several factors the effect turbulence, wing loading and speed are the two most common. If you compare the wing loading of the CT to that of the 172 the 172 has a higher loading at gross weight. If you do two 190 pound people and full fuel the CT will have a higher loading than the 172. Both have similar speeds, so I would put them on the same playing field.

Another factor that effects how rough the ride will be is rigidity of the airframe, and the CT has a very rigid airframe.

Related to turbulence is how the airplane will handle wind gust. The CT has a lighter mass than a 172, so it is moved with the gust a little easier. This is really only a factor when landing.

My experience is that the CT is impacted considerably more in turbulence than the Cirrus SR20 or SR22.  However, the Cirrus is designed for IFR flight, which typically is prone to more turbulence (though not always).  I love the CT, but I consider it to be very much of a fair-weather airplane.

Andy

Archived