Hours Flown in 2015

FlyingMonkey

Sadly, I checked a few days ago and I was at about 27 hours last year.

Disgusting.

Then again, lots going on and spread thin between lots of hobbies.

The Sky Arrow is at about 450 hours in 8 years or so. Works out to about 56 hours a year.

In the next day or two I plan on doing a year end expense report and I'll post that for those considering ownership.

My previous year was about 80 hours, so I definitely stepped it up this year.  I'm not expecting to have that many hours on a yearly basis (though it would be nice!)...

I definitely know how it is to be spread thin, Eddie.  I have made flying my primary hobby lately, because I can't afford/justify having such an expensive toy if it doesn't really get some use.   :D

GREAT NEWS!!!

It's possible to fly a Light Sport for under $20/hr!

Sort of...

24026453165_e2191a6f56.jpg

Notes:

1) I'm Experimental, and took the 16-hour course, so that keeps the maintenance cost way down.

2) Nothing factored in for overhaul fund nor 5-year rubber parts. When those each come due costs of course go way up for the year in question.

3) The hangar serves as general storage as well, so there's savings in not having to rent or buy storage in addition to that.

4) The chart and database expense would likely be about the same even if I didn't own the Sky Arrow, as long as I was an active pilot.

5) Not including things like the opportunity cost of the money tied up in the plane. That's a real thing but I don't factor it in, since it was "fun money" anyway!

Cross-posting now to SportPilotTalk

Sadly, I checked a few days ago and I was at about 27 hours last year.

Disgusting.

Then again, lots going on and spread thin between lots of hobbies.

The Sky Arrow is at about 450 hours in 8 years or so. Works out to about 56 hours a year.

In the next day or two I plan on doing a year end expense report and I'll post that for those considering ownership.

Eddie, did you count our 45 minute flight?   :)

In 2007 I flew over 200 hours and then the great recession relieved me of most of my wealth and income so in the interim I have been focused on putting food on the table and arriving at social security age with a fully paid off CT so I expect to fly more in the future than at present.  100hrs+/year is the seat spot for me.

100hrs+/year is the seat spot for me.

Whether truth or mythology, many pilots seem to agree that the 100 hour per year level is where ownership *might* make some sense.  Below that the fixed costs eat you alive, while above it the hourly cost starts looking more attractive.  There may be some point where too many hours starts to hurt on fuel and maintenance, but the corresponding reduction in hourly fixed costs probably makes up for it.

My wife REALLY wanted me to rent instead of purchase.  But in the Quad Cities there isn't a single place that rents light sport aircraft.  Neither of the two flying clubs have a light sport.  So I suspect in many places renting isn't an option.

Thanks FastEddie for sharing your spreadsheet.  Shows how fixed expenses drive the hourly rate up when the hours uses is low.

My wife REALLY wanted me to rent instead of purchase.  But in the Quad Cities there isn't a single place that rents light sport aircraft.  Neither of the two flying clubs have a light sport.  So I suspect in many places renting isn't an option.

Thanks FastEddie for sharing your spreadsheet.  Shows how fixed expenses drive the hourly rate up when the hours uses is low.

We landed at Quad City Airport during a weather divert on our way to Oshkosh, and spend the night.  Nice area and a great airport.  The controllers there are excellent and the FBO treated us like royalty, even finding us some hangar space for our tiny planes next to their usual clientele of business jets and KingAirs.

Finding LSA for rent is a really tough challenge.  If you intend to fly a lot and think you really will, then ownership can be about a wash with rental at or beyond about 100 flying hours per year, by conventional wisdom.  So If you are going to spend a bunch of money on flying, would you rather have a nice airplane in your own hangar, or the flight school's hangar?

There are also some safety benefits to ownership, IMO.  Every time I get in my airplane, I know exactly what happened on the last flight, and what condition the airplane is in.  I never have to worry that the last renter damaged something (and maybe something that might not show up until airborne) or that something is mis-adjusted, unlatched, or otherwise let in an incorrect state.  

There are great cheaper alternatives to even a used CT, if you can't talk the wife into that big an outlay.

In the $40k-55k range, there are a lot of options, like the Allegro SLSA, some Rans models, and the Sonex.

If you need to go cheaper, you can find decent J3 Cubs for $35k and Luscombe 8As for as low as $14k.  

Down in the $10k range you can find Kolbs, Challengers, and a whole host of "fat ultralight" type airplanes.  

Owning an airplane doesn't have to break the bank, you just have to be realistic about what you can afford and maintain.

Good luck!

'Looks like another 85 hour year... a bunch of breakfast/lunch runs punctuated with a few flying adventures like Page and Mexico.

New Years Resolution: 100+ in 2016!

Last year I was at 80ish hours, I think that's a good bit of flying.  For me to break that barrier I think longer adventures like the Page trip (for me, not for you Tim ;)  ) are the key.  

Minus my trips to Oshkosh and Page, I am right at 80 hours.

75 hours for me thru November.  The winter months take their toll on flying hours.  I'm in the air a lot during the winter but not nearly as much as during the nicer months.  I've had 150 to 170 hour years when I first got my LS certificate.  Repairs also have sidelined me.  Still, Andy's comment about having the airplane I trust in my hangar or in the local rental hangar is a point well taken.  The premium I pay to be able to open the hangar door and know where the plane has been and how it's been treated the last 24 hours is worth the cost of ownership for me.  Another plus is having the ability to go whenever the opportunity presents itself.  Hind sight is 20/20 and the one regret I have is not buying my CT to use for my training.  I burnt up about $5,200 renting a LSA to train in which could have been put into my CTSW.  Of course, like most others, I didn't know if I'd end up getting my certificate when I starting learning to fly. My reason for taking lessons was to find out what it took to land a plane and see if I could do this without killing myself.  So far, the gods are smiling.

Of course, like most others, I didn't know if I'd end up getting my certificate when I starting learning to fly. My reason for taking lessons was to find out what it took to land a plane and see if I could do this without killing myself.  

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this.  I'm studying ground school, and have a physical later next month.  Then it's pass a physical, then more life insurance (wife's orders), and then start flying lessons.  Then I find out if I have what it takes to land a plane and do it without killing myself. :) 

Cluemeister, probably don't need to ask but are you aware of the consequences if you take a physical and fail to pass it?  You'll do OK learning to fly but for a lot of GA pilots, passing a physical is the hardest part of getting the certificate.

Hi Runtoeat,

Yes I am aware of that. I have a pilot friend and we have discussed this.  I am going to get a regular physical, non FAA.  If all looks good, then onto the FAA doc.

Thanks!

Hi Runtoeat,

Yes I am aware of that. I have a pilot friend and we have discussed this.  I am going to get a regular physical, non FAA.  If all looks good, then onto the FAA doc.

Thanks!

Another option is to do a "dry run" with an AME.  Let him know you want to pay for an hour of consult time, NOT a physical.  Sit down with him and go over everything in your medical record in detail.  Have him check your blood pressure, test blood A1C (diabetes screening) and anything else that could unexpectedly cause an instant deferral to the medical branch in Oklahoma City.

If everything works out fine on the dry run and the AME sees no problems, you can be pretty confident and schedule your actual FAA medical exam for just as soon as you can.  An accommodating AME might get it done the same day using some of the measurements he's already taken.

WORD OF CAUTION:  It's very tempting to lie on an FAA medical form, or leave things out.  Don't do it!  A lot of pilots have come to grief this way when the FAA finds out and revokes their medical (fines and possibly jail time could theoretically result also, since it would be perjury).  Better to just go Sport Pilot than to always fly under a cloud (pun intended), never knowing at what point the FAA might show up demanding your medical and maybe your pilot certificate and ending your dreams of flying forever.

Archived