X Plane and CTLS

Cluemeister

Yes, it helped me out quite a bit prior to picking up a new CTLS from John Hurst over at Sebring Aviation (FL). I have a private certificate, but had no prior experience with light sport and this X-simulator software allowed me to get very familiar with the CTLS controls prior to transition training with John.  I thought it really helped reinforce my learning experience.  Haven't used it much lately since the software is on another computer that is having hardware issues.

Where did you download your CTLS add-on? Is it newer than the 2009 version I found for free on Internet?

The problem I have with the X-plane CTs is that none of them have a full 3D virtual cockpit.   When I fly sims I use a TrackIR head tracking unit so I can naturnally look around the cockpit when flying.  Without a virtual cockpit you lose your instruments that way and it's not realistic.  The CTSW for FSX does have a virtual cockpit, which is why I prefer it even though FSX is older tech with a worse flight model.

If you have never used a TrackIR unit, here's the explanation.  Since I started using it, I consider it as essential as a joystick.

• 2 weeks later...

Track IR arrived two days ago.  Went to install it, and never checked that the software for it was Windows only!  That's ok, I have a new Windows laptop I bought for work.  Download another copy of XPlane.  Started Plane, and the graphics are horrendous. Dumbed down the graphics to unwatchable, and still not working smoothly.

I guess I need a new windows machine with a graphics card, and a new monitor!

Track IR arrived two days ago.  Went to install it, and never checked that the software for it was Windows only!  That's ok, I have a new Windows laptop I bought for work.  Download another copy of XPlane.  Started Plane, and the graphics are horrendous. Dumbed down the graphics to unwatchable, and still not working smoothly.

I guess I need a new windows machine with a graphics card, and a new monitor!

Make sure the graphics problem is not the hardware. Doubt the hardware in in a new laptop is not enough for this program. Check software settings. It may be old software with old graphics. Do this before you go to great expense .

Cheers

Nobody is mentioning it (you have it cluemeister on your setup) but make sure you have the trackclip pro with the track IR. The regular trackclip sucks.

Hmm...I have the one that fits on the bill of a hat, I think it's the regular version and I've had to issues.  What is better about the Pro?  I've had my TrackIR for a few years and don't think the Pro clip was out when I got it.

Hmm...I have the one that fits on the bill of a hat, I think it's the regular version and I've had to issues.  What is better about the Pro?  I've had my TrackIR for a few years and don't think the Pro clip was out when I got it.

That's a trackclip. It reflects the IR emissions from the trackIR camera. The trackclip pro has IR leds built in. You get substantially better tracking with a pro.

Archived