You can always go around...

FlyingMonkey

Wow Ian, those were some sketchy landings!

What type of airplane are those with the high wing, twin turboprops, and long main gear legs under the engines?  In just about all of the compilation videos of scary landings, they seem to figure prominently.  I wonder if they are just harder to land than other airplanes because of their design.  They look pretty high of the ground and possibly prone to getting more wind up under them.  I assume they are built that way for ground clearance on rough strips.

I think they were Q400s, related to our Rotax engines.

Q400s are what are now used for scheduled service to and from Mammoth Yosemite.

post-6-0-60268700-1451918250_thumb.jpg

Landing in front of my old hangar.  At Mammoth they frequently return to Los Angeles, the Horizon/Alaska pilots don't like the winds here.

MammothHA_-03.jpg

Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 - very popular regional turboprop over here. The undercarriage does look a bit spindly but certainly seems pretty robust.

It's interesting to compare the Dash 8 landings with the ATR ones which has a much narrower track.

My friend flew Falcon 20, 50, 900 & 2000 jets.  He said these were pretty much "self aligning" during cross wind landings.  It looks like a lot of the big jets in videos like this can come in pretty crossed up and they seem to just roll out and straighten up but I also see there's a lot of opposite rudder action going on too once they touch down and before the front gear contacts.  The pilots in the videos don't look like they lost their stick and rudder ability.  Pretty impressive.

We should all be singing this song on final approach.  But I admit a lot of times I'm just trying to stick the landing, and not consciously thinking about a go around.  At least until things go a bit sideways (sometimes literally!), and that alarm bell sounds in my head demanding that I make the sucking stop.

My friend flew Falcon 20, 50, 900 & 2000 jets.  He said these were pretty much "self aligning" during cross wind landings.  It looks like a lot of the big jets in videos like this can come in pretty crossed up and they seem to just roll out and straighten up but I also see there's a lot of opposite rudder action going on too once they touch down and before the front gear contacts.  The pilots in the videos don't look like they lost their stick and rudder ability.  Pretty impressive.

I did notice those Q400s have a short nose gear and there is a lot of time dancing on the rudder to get good alignment before it touches.  

Archived