Arm flying and wires

Ed Cesnalis

There is a thread at POA about flying dreams / nightmares.  I'm shocked to learn that many have the same dreams I have where obstacles like wires, trees, buildings etc have to be dodged and some of us never get free.

Like mine often pilots flying dreams turn to 'arm flying' without a plane.

Since I got the CT my flying dreams seem to happen very close to the ground, more obstacles and more operating out of congested spaces.

I'm wondering how many here have similar dreams?

Yep. Often I'm taking off and flying right into a mess of power lines and trying to dodge them. Also, I've had trees absurdly high with branches in my flight path. Doesn't matter how high I climb, there's more of these things to avoid.

On the upside, my CT always performs admirably in those dreams! :P

Corey just reminded me of a recurring dream.  I'm flying my CT, and I dip down to follow a road, very low.  Once I'm down, about ten feet over the surface, the trees and power lines close in above me, and I'm trapped flying along that low looking for a gap to climb out of.

Not a nightmare per se, but it is uncomfortable.

Corey just reminded me of a recurring dream.  I'm flying my CT, and I dip down to follow a road, very low.  Once I'm down, about ten feet over the surface, the trees and power lines close in above me, and I'm trapped flying along that low looking for a gap to climb out of.

Your a lucid dreamer and just don't know it yet.  Create dreamsigns and when you recognize them, enjoy the flight!  Here's a drill for you:

Whenever you fly low make an intercom call 'xCharlieTango is flying low and this aint no dream.' 

Given that you do dream of flying low you will have to evaluate if you are awake or dreaming. This drill will create a dreamsign that will hopefully tell you that you are dreaming. Be ready for the call and in this case you can call center if you want 'xCharlieTango is flying low and this a dream [so have no fear]'.  Don't get to carried away saying 'affirmative, affirmative this is a dream, this is a dream' its important to remain calm so you don't wake up.  Just be cool and test the limits of you and your CT, even your chute if you want.  

Get good at this and I'll give you a drill that will allow you to cheat on your wife.  :too_funny-1052:

Andy,

In a dream fear is real but the danger is not.  You find yourself flying an airplane in an emergency ' the trees and power lines close in above me, and I'm trapped ' Yet its not a nightmare?  Why is that?  I can think of 2 reasons #1 being more likely:

1. On some level you know its a dream and that there is no danger
  2. You are preprogramed to remain calm [no fear] in an in flight emergency.

What say you?

CT, I have a fair amount of experience with meditation, which is similar to lucid dreaming. I'd say most of the time I'm aware that I'm in a dream, at least on some level. Even have fleeting thoughts to that effect.

It's not a nightmare because there is some level of detachment, and as you say some knowledge that it's not a real experience (in the physical sense).

I find a distinction, are you flying low trapped by obstacles but are only dreaming and only an observer along for the ride?  Or are you actively flying the plane with control inputs even throttle adjustments resulting in banks and turns and such?

The biggest do you feel fear?

Lucid dreams are improved by self awareness which often learned with meditation.  Andy, when meditating can  you actually become unconscious but aware?

Lucid dreams are improved by self awareness which often learned with meditation.  Andy, when meditating can  you actually become unconscious but aware?

That's a loaded question.  In the best meditations I'd say it's the reverse.  You are completely aware and conscious but not "there".  Actual conscious thought stops but you are still aware.  But it's potato/potahto with how you put it, so I guess I'd say "yes". 

Archived