Amazon Fire and WingX

DocRon

In the February 2016 edition of AOPA Pilot is an article titled "On Fire" (page 41).  It describes how for about $200 you can have a good back-up GPS using the Amazon Fire tablet with WingX software.  While I love my Garmin 696 it would be better to have an inexpensive and effective GPS back-up unit.

What the article does not cover is a recommendation for a good GPS receiver/antenna to hook up to the Amazon Fire.  An initial search on-line shows units from $30+ to over $100.

My question is, do any of our forum members have a recommendation on a good GPS receiver for this tablet?

I'd appreciate your input.

Don Ron,

For $69 a year you can have a full fledged EFB on your smart phone, either Android or I Phone. It makes a great backup with all charts etc and exactly emulates the full sized I Fly unit in every respect. And the GPS is already in the phone. It also receives traffic from my ADSB in receiver so traffic is also presented.

Larry

Doug, no I did not miss the question. His query implies that he does not have the "fire" yet. I pointed out that if he has a smart phone he needs nothing more than the download for a 30 day free trial and if he likes it then $69 a year for a fully functioning unit since he already has the antenna in the smart phone. 

Larry

Doug, no I did not miss the question. His query implies that he does not have the "fire" yet. I pointed out that if he has a smart phone he needs nothing more than the download for a 30 day free trial and if he likes it then $69 a year for a fully functioning unit since he already has the antenna in the smart phone.

Larry

I was going by the "My question is..." and the question mark.????

I'd suggest that you spend the money on a tablet with GPS built-in.  Having the separate GPS is just another battery to charge and another connection to go wrong.  If you use a cabled gps connection it becomes an awkward mess and I've seen them get broke.  My 2 cents...  yes it's possible.... but.

I'd suggest that you spend the money on a tablet with GPS built-in.  Having the separate GPS is just another battery to charge and another connection to go wrong.  If you use a cabled gps connection it becomes an awkward mess and I've seen them get broke.  My 2 cents...  yes it's possible.... but.

I went from a tablet with built in GPS (Nexus 7) to a tablet that has built in GPS and G4 (Samsung Tab8), much more convenient then depending on WIFI all the time.  Very bright tablet offered to me for free by AT&T Mobility.

Gentlemen,

I really appreciate the suggestions.  I have a larger Samsung tablet with GPS but won't keep the signal, even in the plane.  A smaller screen with a good GPS signal is exactly what I need.  (I do have it on my phone but the screen is too small for detail.)  I need a Goldilocks unit.  Your suggestions should solve the problem.  Thanks very much.

Archived