Part identification

Aero-Nut

Fuel pressure pulsation so it doesn't show up on the instrument panel on your gauge. Newer instrumentation don't usually need this. These were on older models.

Should it not be on the side of the fuel pump that the fuel pressure sensor is located to smooth out the pulses? I am not an expert on fluid dynamics but.....

Here's a possible explanation of the upstream position: All pumps, need some minimum inlet pressure (suction head) to avoid cavitation. We have a gravity-fed fuel system to supply that pressure. However, gravity systems are sensitive to turbulence (g-loads). Any bumps that momentarily lighten the load on our butt will also reduce the pump inlet pressure... if not for this device which uses the gas pressure outside the bellows, acting on the tiny volume of fuel "accumulated" in the bellows, to maintain fuel pressure and flow at the pump inlet during these momentary interruptions (mind you, we are not talking about aerobatic flight or sustained negative g's). If you looked at a plot of the pump inlet pressure as a function time in turbulent conditions it would like like January's S&P 500. The dampener (also called a snubber) smooths the pressure out. This may be more of an issue for the flow meter than the pump.

Mike Koerner

Should it not be on the side of the fuel pump that the fuel pressure sensor is located to smooth out the pulses? I am not an expert on fluid dynamics but.....

It is not there to smooth out fuel pressure, but to keep the fuel flow indication steady. My guess is that the fuel bypass introduces pulses from the pump back into the supply line at the gascolator, and the damper is there to keep those pulses from messing up the fuel flow.

Archived