CT Fuel Tank Failure Ruins Both Wings

N456TS

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tony,

I was referring to Andy's plane. I have seen his plane.

Even for many others the cloth looking imperfection on some wings are only factory layup imperfections.

If a wing develops stains and or soft spots then there is a leak. They are easy to fix. I have done two. Takes a little time, but was easy to do.

Hi Tony,

I was referring to Andy's plane. I have seen his plane.

Even for many others the cloth looking imperfection on some wings are only factory layup imperfections.

If a wing develops stains and or soft spots then there is a leak. They are easy to fix. I have done two. Takes a little time, but was easy to do.

I assume the fix is to re-slosh the tanks with sealant, and then cut & patch the wing skins with new carbon fiber...is that right?

I personally would remove the damaged areas from the outside layer and foam first, and carefully examine the inner layer after the foam is removed. No telling if its a pinhole or maybe a crack occurred. If the layer looks good, then proceed with recoating the areas and building up repairs.

I did cut out the bad area. You want to see if it spread. Mine were both limited to about 1.5". I just filled the area. No extra carbon fiber. Sand and painted. Then remove the wing and take off the fuel bulkhead where the sight tube is. Then slosh the tank which was fairly easy. Let dry and cure. You reseal the bulkhead in place and replace the wing. Never had another leak.

Archived