9th Annual Page, AZ CT and Light Sport Fly-In

Olav

Sorry Olav and team, I'm going to have to beg-out of this event this year.  I too have had some personal/familiy medical issues that require my attention at home.  But I hope to participate next year and meet everyone on this forum!

That said... I just released my reservation at the Clarion Inn (in case anyone needs a room.)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, just got off the phone with Ilisa, the manager at the Clarion.  Still rooms available BUT YOU MUST IDENTIFY YOURSELF AS PART OF THE CT GROUP in order to get into one of the block of rooms set aside!!!!!!  If you do not you will be told "no vacancy" as all rooms other than those in our set-aside block are taken for the period of our fly-in.  

IF YOU HAVE MADE RESERVATIONS AT THE CLARION FOR THE FLY-IN AND HAVE NOT SENT ME OR TIM GREER A CONFIRMATION WITH YOUR INFORMATION PLEASE DO SO ASAP.  WE NEED TO HAVE AN UP-TO-DATE ROSTER FOR PLANNING PURPOSES.

Also, I reconfirmed with AVIS that the 12 passenger van is reserved beginning on the 12th and through the morning of the 16th.

Again, get your reservation made at the Clarion by confirming you are with the CT GROUP.  Then let either Tim or me know you are coming. 

See you in Page!

• 2 weeks later...

Message from the General Manager of the Clarion Hotel in Page:

As of now we still have 11 rooms open from 10/13/2016 to 10/16/2016. 

10/11/2016 to 10/12/2016 all rooms are taken so we can not accommodate group rates for the dates 10/11 and 10/12. Please have any members call hotel and make reservations. Please do not ask for me specifically to make the reservations. When making reservations please have members ask for the CT Group any agent will be able to make the reservations.
------------
Rooms still available so if you are hoping/planning on coming give the Clarion a call and make your reservation.  And then let me know so I can update the roster.  Just over 2 weeks to go!

Next week Thursday the Page Annual CT and Light Sport Fly-in starts.  Great weather looks to be in the forecast so if you are thinking about coming it is not too late.  Get your reservation made at the Clarion Inn, Page.  There are still a few rooms available in the block set aside for the "CT Group"...be sure to specify that you are making your reservation for the Fly-in as part of the "CT Group"!  Any questions send me a PM or a give me a call (505) 250-8417.  See you in Page.

Just got an email from Kris at Colorado River Discovery, the outfitter for the Thursday morning raft trip.  IMPORTANT:  If you have made reservations but are not on the following list provided by Kris then you are not being counted under the "CT Group".  In order for us to have our own raft we need a minimum of 15 participants; as of now they list 11.   Kris' email and the list of names she has I have pasted below.  

--------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning John-Olav

Just wanted to touch base about your group booked with us on Thursday, October 13th under Reservation# A1143 for our ½ Day Colorado River trip….

After looking at your reservation, it looks like we have 11 participants signed up:

Richard Kelty + 1 guest

Rodney Wren + 1 guest

John Johnsen + 1 guest

John Langan + 1 guest

Rich Provenzano + 1 guest

Gary Roberts

Do you know of anyone else in the group who has booked with us, but may not have indicated that they are with the CT Group?

As I said before, in order to have your own raft, we do require at least 15 participants. If that 15 passenger group minimum is not met, you will be accommodated on our public departure at the same time 11:00am.

Please let me know if you have any other information about the group or if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Kris Sams-Kenney

Sales/Customer Service Manager

Colorado River Discovery

130 6th Avenue PO Box 575

Page, AZ 86040

(928)645-9175 ext 203

(928)614-0000 cell

(928)645-9178 fax

1-888-522-6644

www.raftthecanyon.com

Lisa and I will be leaving Albuquerque on Tuesday morning.  I want a little extra time in Page to make sure everything has lined up correctly, with enough time to "fix" it if not.  So, if anyone flying through Albuquerque on Tuesday wants to fly along with us we would enjoy the airborne company!

For those of you coming from the East and who will be transiting though or near Albuquerque and who have not flown to Page before the usual thought for most folks unfamiliar with our terrain, looking at the Sectional, is to fly to Farmington, NM and then west to Page.  Not a bad route though it is the longest one and not the way I usually recommend.  While you do avoid flight over significant mountainous terrain the ground below is nonetheless rugged over much of the route offering little in the way of any emergency landing areas and is for the most part the least scenic route.  This route does however take you over Monument Valley.  

Direct Albuquerque to Page is easy with better terrain and is more scenic.  This route goes across the San Mateo Mountains west of Albuquerque requiring a climb to 10,500 MSL for good clearance...but the stretch of the San Mateos over which you fly is full of open meadows and is relatively flat...this is really a huge, high mostly forested beautiful plateau north of Mount Taylor.  

But the route I favor and usually take is Albuquerque - Grants - Window Rock - Page.  This avoids the highest terrain, offers several airports along the route with services in case of any problems, and only adds about 5 minutes over the direct route.  The highest terrain this way, the Hance Plateau, is west of Window Rock and 8,500 MSL or a bit higher is sufficient.  I have flown all these routes over the last 30+ years and all are scenic, not difficult, so really it is a matter of choice in what you want to see.  Let's face it...anywhere you fly in the Four Corners Country is scenic!

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to give me a call.  (505) 250-8417.  Looking forward to seeing everyone in Page this week.

I along with a number of others will be on the Colorado River Raft float trip Thursday from late morning, returning to Page about 4 or so.  I will have my cell phone on 24/7 at (505) 250-8417 if you need to contact me but I will have no cell service on the float trip.  We are flying out tomorrow morning (Tuesday) for Page so I can be reached on my cell tomorrow afternoon through late Thursday morning and again starting Thursday late afternoon.

We all meet at the Ranch House Grill at 5pm for social hour, dinner at 6pm.  It is imperative that you attend as this is where we not only have dinner and everyone meets each other but we also discuss procedures, sign up for flights, etc.  It is located at 819 N Navajo DR in Page about 2 blocks from the Clarion Hotel.  Meet in the lobby of the hotel at 4:45 if you are unfamiliar with where to walk to get to it.  Or I will be driving a 12 passenger van I've rented and can take folks over there if you prefer not to walk.

When you arrive at Page Airport taxi to where my CTSW will be parked...N44BZ.   Since the new apron area at the north end of the ramp was finished that is where Classic Aviation has been parking us.  I don't expect that to change but again, my plane will be the marker for where we will be tied down.  Classic Aviation is the FBO hosting us and offering the fuel discount.  Classic is the second FBO over by the ramp gate.

Again, any questions, problems, whatever please call me.  See you all in Page and FLY SAFE!!!

I agree, lots of wind back to Tucson.  50 mph plus in some areas.  Most of time 35 to 42 on the nose.

For those that did not make Page, I will post a couple pictures.  For those of you that did - What a great time Jonathan and I had with you.  Thanks for making it another great get away.

post-648-0-07315700-1476664780_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-36083500-1476664815_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-83808200-1476664833_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-14023000-1476664926_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-28843700-1476664947_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-70817600-1476664980_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-06169200-1476665166_thumb.jpg

Despite more wind than usual it was a great time, reuniting with old friends and making new friends and flying together in some of the most spectacular landscapes on Earth.  Duane's photos are great and give just a suggestion of what the Page Fly-in experience is like.  For any CT or Light Sport pilot this is a Bucket List event!

Thank you all for making it yet another great CT and Light Sport Fly-in.

Archived