CTLSi weights?

Cluemeister

If they upped the weight to 1500lb, they'd have to raise the stall from 45kt to something like 50kt, or most current airplanes would fail to make LSA specs at that weight.  You'd either need all new designs or a change to that speed.

On the plus side, a lot of 150/152 airplanes would instantly become LSA.

If they upped the weight to 1500lb, they'd have to raise the stall from 45kt to something like 50kt, or most current airplanes would fail to make LSA specs at that weight.  You'd either need all new designs or a change to that speed.

What factors would PREVENT the FD be able to fly with 1500 gross?  None.  It can do it now...does it in Europe.  The only restriction is the FAA SLSA rules. 

Carbon Cub can also fly heavier with no ill-effects.

Andy, only the 150 through 150C or those built before mid 1963 would qualify at 1500. It would open up a bunch of older classic airplane to be used though, and many of those would meet all the other requirements to be a LSA.

I think Roger makes a good point.

Sometimes progress threatens the goose that laid the golden egg, and sometimes refusing to progress is actually progress in itself.

For example, Sonex refuses to produce a FWF kit for the Rotax - despite constant requests - and by doing so, they preserve their business.  Why? Because people don't want the second best airplane - they want the best one!  So, as soon as Sonex puts a 912 in, nobody will want the VW version. And then, when they price the 912 version they'll say, 'Might has well have a Zenith 650 for a few extra bucks.'  Result: Sonex loses sales because they lose their specific identity of ultra-low-cost aircraft.

Same with Vans, I think - they know their market and don't try to appeal to everyone.

It seems to me that LSAs, in trying to become more sophisticated, more capable and more comfortable, are actually losing more than they are gaining by doing so.  The lines are becoming blurred and the product is losing its specific identity and purpose.

I'm pretty confident that if the top FD model was a lightweight CTLS costing around $110k and with a 550lb useful load, I think they'd still be selling in big numbers.  (Assuming they're available, of course!) 

It's almost a contradiction, but actually not giving the customer what he wants (bloated aircraft) might be a really good thing in the long term for the whole industry.

For example, Sonex refuses to produce a FWF kit for the Rotax - despite constant requests - and by doing so, they preserve their business.

LIAR!!!   :giggle-3307:

http://sonexaircraft.com/

The new "B-Model" includes support for Rotax and UL power.  

Your point is taken, but I have to say the Rotax 912 market is completely different from the VW market.  VW builders want the cheapest way to get the thing into the air, even if it's heavy and underpowered.  The Rotax folks want efficiency and will pay through the nose for it (almost 3x a VW engine).

I think the Rotax-powered Sonex will rock.  Less horsepower (Jab is 107hp continuous, 120hp in climb) than the Jabiru 3300, but 40-50lb less weight on a 1150lb gross airframe.  Zoom!

I always hear that people want the sub $100k LSA.  If you look at the RV12 for around $120k with glass, that's amazing.  I don't think there is a better value than that, and the sales are strong for them.

But I think the market has spoken, and the strongest part of the market is $150k and up.  It's filling a void left by the bottom of the stagnant GA market.

Do I think the FAA will change anything. Nope.

When you see a new part 23 high wing 4 seater hasn't been certified in forty seven years, (until the Tecnam P2010), something's wrong.  And it's called government safety by market strangulation.

The new "B-Model" includes support for Rotax and UL power.  

Interesting new model.....

No 912 quite yet, though:

B-Model engine mounts will be available for UL Power 350i, 350is, and Rotax 912-series engines.

Should sell well - I think the 912 will really improve it, and there's lots of used examples around now.

Archived