Cirrus landing info correction

FastEddieB

Can I be happy for you and jealous at the same time Hamburger?

Well, I wouldn't be doing this if I was 40 and had a bunch of years left to slowly work toward the dream plane...but we wanna do some serious travel and the FD turned out to be a little too much roller-coaster and slow for us so we bit the bullet and bought a high-end cross-country plane instead of a second house.

And coppercity....you bet...I am gonna need all the help I can get....we are pouring over every line and video from the Portal, and in a week or so will be doing 40 hours of transition and instrument training at the factory.  We can tell from the material that it will take a good while and a lot of experience flying to really take advantage of what the plane can do.

But after about 8 hours in one so far, I can easily see our 'world' just got a lot smaller and trips from N. Nevada to Arizona, Mexico, Colorado, or the East coast will be not just doable but more stress free too.

Am I correct that a runway sloped at 45° would be a 50% gradient? In that case, not a huge difference in real life.

I remember this confused me when I got certified as a Personal Trainer, in regards to treadmills, in that case.*

In any case, Wimpy's never looked sloped to me, and I'm not picking it up in the videos, either.

*I wonder if anyone has ever thought about putting an airplane on a treadmill?

I'm gonna chalk it up to optical illusion with the mountains in the background.

You didn't think when we landed it was uphill?  Sure seemed so to me.

Definitely was uphill, but seemed steeper than the A/FD says.  Heck A/FD says runways at KWDR are 0.5% and they feel pretty dang flat!

AAAHA!  The A/FD is WRONG!  60 foot elevation change in 3000' is 2.0%, not 0.2%.

I calculated that 61ft difference based on 0.2%...so if something is wrong it's probably my calculations.   <_<

Grade is rise over run, so 60/3000 which is 1/50 or 2% (which would be 1.14 degrees slope).  The A/FD says its 0.2%.  The FAA's website that lets you report errors on the A/FD has a broken link, so left a VM with the Atlanta ADO.

Well, I wouldn't be doing this if I was 40 and had a bunch of years left to slowly work toward the dream plane...but we wanna do some serious travel and the FD turned out to be a little too much roller-coaster and slow for us so we bit the bullet and bought a high-end cross-country plane instead of a second house.

And coppercity....you bet...I am gonna need all the help I can get....we are pouring over every line and video from the Portal, and in a week or so will be doing 40 hours of transition and instrument training at the factory.  We can tell from the material that it will take a good while and a lot of experience flying to really take advantage of what the plane can do.

But after about 8 hours in one so far, I can easily see our 'world' just got a lot smaller and trips from N. Nevada to Arizona, Mexico, Colorado, or the East coast will be not just doable but more stress free too.

You might add the Flight Academy's Alaska trip to your travel plans.  My wife and I did it and it was a life experience.

Andy

I thought you were never going to land!

It's really, really weird trying to flare as the runway just keeps falling away from you.

The vast majority of my flying was in FL, so this kind of thing is still a bit weird for me. But fun!

One rarely lands to the south at this airport, unless the wind is really strong from the south. Strong crosswinds are problematical enough that the wise thing is to go elsewhere to land until things calm down.

• 4 weeks later...

CONGRATULATIONS!

And if you have not joined COPA, you need to so so forthwith - lots of good info there.

Thanks.  We got a compimentary membership for a year from Cirrus.  I am signing up tomm.  I have done 18 hours of demo and transition flying...i have 6 hours left to finish.    As you know the increased capability and increased complexity are much higher for the Cirrus versus the Flight Design. 

• 1 month later...

Someone just posted this to COPA, and it's so nice I thought I'd share it:

Exemplifies...

1) One secret to a good landing is a stable approach...

2) Nothing scary about a "stall landing" in a Cirrus...

3) Float? What float???

4) Sedona should be on everyone's "bucket list". Karen and I got to mark it off in 2011 on our Page adventure.

Archived