Neuform Propeller Nicks

Fly Boss

The black leading edge of my propeller blades have nicks in them after 977 hours on it.  These are the standard nicks from general use.  I'd rather not send it off for repairs, so i'm wondering:

1.  Can that black strip be removed and a new one put in by the owner?

2.  Can you use an epoxy to fill the holes and then sand and paint the leading edge?

3.  Would minor repairs like in #2 impact the weight characteristics of the blades?

Thanks.

Danny

N860LS 

Flying from some dirt/sand/shell strips in Mexico has given me a few nicks, on 2 different CTs. Some I've been able to file with a fingernail file, or equivalent on a leatherman. Others I've patched with JBWEld/quick. Most recently I've used Bondic, that plastic that cures in 3 seconds of UV light. It seems to work perfect. 'Not sure about replacing the strip, but assume it can be done at the factory.

I feel like I've picked up a few nicks probably from doing runups on concrete taxiways as well. Because of that I've started using a run up rpm that is less more like 3000 or 3500.

Per Neuform:

Minor damage to the coloured top layer can be repaired by qualified persons on their own accord. The surface resin needed for this can be obtained from NEUFORM in small quantities. All other repairs should be done by NEUFORM or an authorized partner.

http://www.neuform-propellers.com/_downloads/pdf/propellermanual.pdf

And technically yes, this will affect the prop weight if you cake the paint on, but touch up jobs won't have much effect so don't worry about it.

I'm a long time user of JB and have been using the 5min. "Quick" the last few years.  I was going to buy more JB  5 min. just to keep around the shop.  Looking at the products, I noticed that Loctite also offers a similar product.  The Locktite "quick" had better PSI rating so I bought it.  This is close to the JB "original"

JB "original" = 3960 PSI    JB "quick" = 2424 PSI        Loctite "quick" = 3355 PSI

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_weld_t/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Weld-Bonding-Compound.htm

Has anyone used the new "light activated" bonding material?  Curious how well this performs.  I've seen good and bad reviews.

I've used Bondic to seal/fill minor nicks. Thin layers cured on top of each other, then filed to match contour. So far so good.

I think the reviews are a matter of expectations. It's not a "glue" yet people want to use it like it was super glue. I think it works great for filling or building up

There is also a 5 year time on prop inspections, Cost of the inspection is about $1100 with all the shipping and normal condition. I just did three of them. One on a CT and 2 on Ikarus.

Pay attention to the mounting bolts, I found 2 of the 6 mounting bolts were bent on one of them. This was on an Ikarus. No idea how this could happen as no abnormal events in its life.

I have a video to show the bent bolts but don't see a way to attach it. If someone can tell my how to post the video I will do it.

Bolts should not bend due to torquing. That's a grade 8 bolt and they don't stretch easily. They usually bend if you fail to have the anti torsional lugs in the prop hub that usually go through the prop flange. So either there were no torsional lugs or it had a strike or that video has an uneven wall. Flat on a piece of glass or something really flat would have been better.

As Jacques said... grade 8 and class 8.8 are two easily confused, but totally different things :P

Class 10.9 is ~equal to grade 8.

As for bending due to torquing: they shouldn't, but as said, how else could they have bent O.o . He didn't say if the inserts were deformed, and I would expect those to bend too in a prop strike.

These are the 8.8 metric bolts and there is no history of any prop damage or even being taken off. The video is on a flat counter top and the are bent enough to be seen without rolling them on a flat surface. Difficult to see the bend in a photo but can see they wobble when they roll. This prop was on an Comco Ikarus C42E with Rotax 912 ULS.

Archived