Pulled top end off today

procharger

Thank you both for your suggestions. Engine is in a 2006 CTSW, 912ULS

Answers from to reliable people.

The leak started about forty hours ago with a very small amount of oil and was difficult to locate the source.

Several owners on this site said to live with it. The leak has become much worse and is now something that needs to be addressed.

Wanted to tighten the head volts to see if this is all that is needed before any seals are replaced.

Right or wrong?

Have read about the cracked case issue. What would I look for?

This engine does run hot. On warms days in climb, oil temp wants to bump red line and would go there if I continue climb at Vy, always level out and let engine cool down, which does not take to long. Oil leak seems to be coming out at the top where cylinder is bolted to engine.

Would have a certified mechanic look at it, but do not have any in the area.

Roger, I have flushed the engine clean on seven different occasions. Would fly and check again, you are correct with your statement.

The last time cleaned cleaned engine again and would run the engine, after the engine was warm, for one minute at 2000 RPM! Shut off and checked for leak. On third attempt found where leak is originating.

Engine has just turned 600 hours

If you're sure it is the top part of the head seal then loosen each of the 4 nuts one at a time and retorque on a cold engine.

p.s.

Most cracked cases happened from mid 2006 and earlier. They were caused from having too much prop pitch and over stressing the engine. The crack happens on top of the engine up by the case seam and usually about 2.5" long and just right of the seam. It would ooze oil.

If it is coming from under the head, you will likely need to install the special seals like in the service instructions I linked to. The oil originates in the crankcase and moves past the threads of the stud, through the tube in the cylinder for the stud, and then leaks from the area where the cylinder head meets the cylinder.

Hi Tom,

The seal is fine and the Loctite also works as we discussed in class, but I would personally do both. If you get into it this far you might as well make sure you never have to go back again. 598 can be applied to threads as well as the nut sealing surfaces if needed.

Archived