That Control Stick is REALLY Short

Fly Boss

For those of us with apparently shorter arms, the control stick seems a bit short.  I find my left arm tending to pull the stick to the left when in flight.  It isn't an aileron issue, it is just that my arm isn't quite long enough to comfortably sit on my leg and hold the stick in the neutral position.  What kind of options might I have to deal with this?  I have placed a pillow behind me with the seat in the most forward position already, but this is not quite enough. I look normal in the mirror, but sound like I'm deformed in this post.  Does anyone else have this issue?  What are others doing to accommodate?  Thanks

Danny

For those of us with apparently shorter arms, the control stick seems a bit short.  I find my left arm tending to pull the stick to the left when in flight.  It isn't an aileron issue, it is just that my arm isn't quite long enough to comfortably sit on my leg and hold the stick in the neutral position.  What kind of options might I have to deal with this?  I have placed a pillow behind me with the seat in the most forward position already, but this is not quite enough. I look normal in the mirror, but sound like I'm deformed in this post.  Does anyone else have this issue?  What are others doing to accommodate?  Thanks

Danny

Are you saying you can't reach the rudder peddles?  Or are you saying you tend to turn the plane left when you assume you are flying straight?

As a kind of tall guy with long arms, this has never even occurred to me.  But I guess if you were a guy with short arms and a barrel chest, this would really be an issue.  Seems like under the handle you could slide a piece of aluminum tubing inside the handle to lengthen it a bit.  I'd want it pinned in place or otherwise secured.  Then slide the handle back in place and you'd have a longer stick that looked factory.

Best to ask FD USA and go through the MRA process.

Since I am in the transitioning part of this life cycle, I'll work on the finger tip logic. Before you guess that I am vertically challenged, I am 5'7" tall, 250 lbs.  With the seat in the most forward position, my feet easily work the rudders, but with my left hand on my left leg it seems that even with finger tips i'd be twisting my body to work the stick.  Part of this problem might be that i'm pulling the aileron to the left for arm comfort only, but since that puts the plane out of level, then it is necessary to hold the stick from going back to neutral. That causes a lot of work to have to hold it where it doesn't belong. Aileron trim helps this some (offsetting the left pulling pressure), but longer arms would be better, or some way to adjust my position.  I'd rather not modify the stick at all.  I may try to more pillow behind me, but my rather low barrel chest might get in the way of that some.

RE: fingertips, that doesn't work for every airplane, or even every CT.  My 2007 SW has the last version of the control system, which has higher spring rates and an additional pitch spring.  This all makes the control forces heavy compared to most LSA.  Fingertip pressure is inadequate to provide good control; what I end up doing is wrapping my forefinger and thumb around the top of the stick handle.  It's still two fingers, but gives me leverage to move the controls adequately that fingertips would not.

RE: fingertips, that doesn't work for every airplane, or even every CT.  My 2007 SW has the last version of the control system, which has higher spring rates and an additional pitch spring.  This all makes the control forces heavy compared to most LSA.  Fingertip pressure is inadequate to provide good control; what I end up doing is wrapping my forefinger and thumb around the top of the stick handle.  It's still two fingers, but gives me leverage to move the controls adequately that fingertips would not.

Andy, I have a fair amount of time in a SW like yours with the spring. For general flying I would still recommend the use of finger tips on the stick, unless you are making BIG pitch changes.

Andy, I have a fair amount of time in a SW like yours with the spring. For general flying I would still recommend the use of finger tips on the stick, unless you are making BIG pitch changes.

In cruise high up with no turbulence I can do that.  Down low where I'm constantly making corrections and watching for birds, I want more control authority.

Maybe my fingertips are just puny and weak.

Hmm, of all the things I've grumbled about in my mind with my CTLS, a short stick didn't come up. Some stick related things (in no particular order) might be:

Stick too far forward for way back seat positions (and not adjustable).

Stick running into my (fat) right thigh, pinning it to the center console before full right aileron is reached.

Heavy stick pressure (2010 CTLS) against centering springs, which would snap off one or two fingers if you tried it.

And lastly, suggested by Dan Johnson, stick should fold down for entry and exit by old geezers.

--- Other than that, it's perfect. ---

Sounds like some need to lose a little weight.   I had to fashion some neoprene blocks to attach to the rudders for my 4-9 wife.  Adjustable rudders would have been a nice to have, but I never thought the stick would be an issue for pilots.

I've thought about the folding stick thing.  It would be nice, but I wonder if it would introduce a potential mechanical point of failure.  There have been times, in turbulence, where the stick has to deal with notable stress.   I'd hate to have it fold or fail at the wrong time.

So, in summary:

1.  My legs are fine on the rudder pedals, with the proper bend at the knee

2.  My arms might need to be a tad longer even though the seat is all the way forward with pillow behind me.

3.  I need to practice the finger control rather than the full hand on stick control

4.  I also need to work the aileron trim more to see if that helps.

Thanks all for the responses.  Not sure if any of them will make a difference, other than the lose some weight comment.  THAT might make a difference in many areas, but not sure about the hand on stick area.

Danny

Archived