Oil Cooler Clogging

Roger Lee

Hi Ed,

I now know what the yellow cottage cheese debris was in your oil cooler. Congealed water that has been cooked. Moisture allowed to accumulate from too much low temp running doesn't get cooked off and can accumulate in some spot in the cooler. When this happens it congeals and turns yellow and becomes debris which reduces oil flow. I have now seen pictures. You run richer than many of us because of your high altitude flights on a regular basis and you have cooler OATs. 

The fix for this is to lean your carbs and or tape off the coolers to keep you oil and coolant temps at least above 200F, but preferably above 212F for an entire flight. 

Even though you started to see high oil temps later on the debris had already formed and your higher oil temps at that point will not remove the yellow debris.

The only problem with the tape I have is that finding the correct amount of tape for a given flight is a matter of guesswork for me.  Here in Georgia in the winter temps can be 35°F one day and 60°F the next, so every day I am adding or subtracting tape based on what I *think* I will need at altitude.  

Sometimes I undershoot it and end up with 180°F temps, sometimes I overdo it and end up with 220°F in cruise and 240°F in climb.  I wish we had a factory cooler shutter.

This is probably less of a problem for guys like Ed where winters are just COLD all the time.

Nothing wrong with 220F in cruise. Even your 240F isn't a big shake because it is short lived. You can see your 220F and 240F in the SW on any spring, summer or fall day. That's preferable over 180F. If you live in the SW like me with low humidity it isn't as big an issue. Live in a humid climate and it is. You need to burn off impurities every flight at some point.

FWIW Remos has a oil-cooler flap -- operated from cockpit -- that rotates in front of oil cooler. Very simple. Always wondered why it isn't copied. Of course i always forget to un-flap en route until "Dynon Lady" screams 'Oil Temperature' 'Oil Temperature'     still much more foolproof and less plumbing than oil thermostat.

( i wish Dynon Lady would also scream 'departure flaps' 'departure flaps')

My Sky Arrow has the same arrangement - what I call an adjustable baffle, though it's more like a door, being a single panel that moves, controlled from the cockpit.

It helps, but on really cold days temps stay too low even with it fully closed.

On my recent Poker Run flight, I flew almost all of it with the baffle closed, and oil and water temps barely exceeded 100°c, needed to boil off any water in the oil. This in spite of springtime temps on the 60's.

As an odd quirk, my baffle must be fully closed to check the engine oil - otherwise the open baffle interferes with the access door to the oil cap.

Archived