ADS-B UPGRADE - HELP!

NC Bill

Mine is a 2008 CTLS with dual Skyview.

My wish is to upgrade the plane to ADS-B 2020 compliance.

At the same time I want to get traffic & weather displayed on:

- both SV- 700 screens

- the Garmin 696 in a Gizmo mount in the center avionics panel

- my iPad

Any suggests on what equipment would accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - DYNON tech reports that their WiFi adapters only provide flight plan exchange between Skyview and iPad. Other data may be included in the future. Nor will their transponder show traffic on the 696.

Bill

Unless you use garmin pilot, it's not possible to display on all of these at once.

I suggest not worrying about the 696. Skyview can talk to foreflight and exchange info, just focus on that. In fact, you don't even really need a 696 if you have skyview screens, it's redundant at that point. Just make sure you get the SV-GPS-2020 GPS (and NOT the SV-GPS-250), SV-XPNDR-261, and SV-ADSB-470. That will take care of your GPS source (to TSO standards), your transponder (to 2020 TSO standards), and provide you with ADSB-In/out and display on dynons.

The 696 is useful to me because 7" screens are too small with my vision to display 50% map / 50% PFD and still see all the useful data available on the MAP display.

The only data currently transferred from Skyview to the iPad is flight plan exchange. No wx and no traffic.

So all I'll get is wx and tx on a 3.5" Skyview screen and nothing on either the 696 or iPad with that solution.

At least now I get XM wx and Garmin 330 TIS tx on my 696 and tx on my Skyviews.

If it's not possible to get ADS-B wx & tx on either the 696 or iPad then I'll just wait for 2020. Or until DYNON improves their wi-fi solution.

It's not just dynon. Usually it is the software vendor. Foreflight only supports stratus. Garmin pilot only supports garmin. Wing-X are probably the only ones that support a couple different things. They all want you to buy their products and no one elses. It's the same closed source bullshit that plagued computing back in the 70's and 80's. Then, the IBM PC BIOS was reverse engineered, there was a Computing Renaissance. Now vendor lock-in is a problem again in other devices and it's extremely expensive to switch.

The most compatible solution is probably a GDL-88 with garmin pilot. That might be the only way to get ADSB on everything.

Also, dynon skyview doesn't have a PFD overlay on a moving map?

The 696 is useful to me because 7" screens are too small with my vision to display 50% map / 50% PFD and still see all the useful data available on the MAP display.

The only data currently transferred from Skyview to the iPad is flight plan exchange. No wx and no traffic.

So all I'll get is wx and tx on a 3.5" Skyview screen and nothing on either the 696 or iPad with that solution.

At least now I get XM wx and Garmin 330 TIS tx on my 696 and tx on my Skyviews.

If it's not possible to get ADS-B wx & tx on either the 696 or iPad then I'll just wait for 2020. Or until DYNON improves their wi-fi solution.

Dynon Skyview talks to the 696 useful for navigation.  If you want ADS-B  get the Dynon ADS-B 470 and upgrade one of the Skyviews with a Dynon WAAS GPS as input to the ADS-B and you will have full compliance.  Don't waste time trying to hookup Foreflight or Garmin Pilot on a tablet as an illegal PFD.  They are good for off-screen flight planning, but you will still need to transfer the flight plans by hand into the 696 or Skyview in order to take full advantage of your Skyviews and have your autopilot fly the flightplan loaded wither in the 696 or the Skyview..

Unless you use garmin pilot, it's not possible to display on all of these at once.

I suggest not worrying about the 696. Skyview can talk to foreflight and exchange info, just focus on that. In fact, you don't even really need a 696 if you have skyview screens, it's redundant at that point. Just make sure you get the SV-GPS-2020 GPS (and NOT the SV-GPS-250), SV-XPNDR-261, and SV-ADSB-470. That will take care of your GPS source (to TSO standards), your transponder (to 2020 TSO standards), and provide you with ADSB-In.

The only way I can think of to economically achieve displaying weather and traffic on all your devices would be to go with the above which makes you 2020 compliance (and displays weather and traffic on the SkyViews).  This leaves the 696 and the iPad which means you'll need another gizmo.  I suggest going with a Garmin GDL-39 which will talk bluetooth to the 696 and your iPad (running Garmin Pilot).  This runs around $550 new or $350 used.  Pulling XM weather would pay for this in around 10 months.  

Of course, there may be better solutions in the future although I think the 696 will be problematic as I don't think new solutions will target hardware that is no longer the current platform (796).

"This leaves the 696 and the iPad which means you'll need another gizmo.  I suggest going with a Garmin GDL-39 which will talk bluetooth to the 696 and your iPad (running Garmin Pilot)."

Double check this, but I think the GDL 39 has to be wired to the 696,  the 796 series will do Bluetooth, that is what I use.

Cheers

"Don't waste time trying to hookup Foreflight or Garmin Pilot on a tablet as an illegal PFD.  They are good for off-screen flight planning, but you will still need to transfer the flight plans by hand into the 696 or Skyview in order to take full advantage of your Skyviews and have your autopilot fly the flightplan loaded wither in the 696 or the Skyview.."

With the Dynon Wi-Fi adaptor you can transfer flight plans from Foreflight on an iPad to and from Skyview with two finger touches. In flight you can modify either Skyview/Foreflight flight plans on one unit and send the update to the other unit. You can also select Direct to on SkyView and send it to Foreflight on the iPad for situational awareness.
   If you land and intend to fly the same route back home you can reverse it on Foreflight and simply send it to SkyView. Foreflight can update winds and you can see planned groundspeed as well as fuel burn based on the numbers you provide.
  The autopilot will fly the flight plan route whether you loaded it by hand or through the Wi-Fi adaptor.

Since Foreflight gets SkyView's GPS through the Wi-Fi you can utilize the Synthetic Vision feature on Foreflight on the iPad as well as get GPS speed and altitude info useful for back-up and situational awareness.

Certainly extremely helpful to plan a trip at home, and later at a hotel, and then uplink your route to SkyView really easily as well as have a modicum of back-up information as well as the sectional chart on the iPad.
   I upload the airplane's POH, User and Installation manuals in the documents area of Foreflight which is always handy to have on a trip.

"Don't waste time trying to hookup Foreflight or Garmin Pilot on a tablet as an illegal PFD.  They are good for off-screen flight planning, but you will still need to transfer the flight plans by hand into the 696 or Skyview in order to take full advantage of your Skyviews and have your autopilot fly the flightplan loaded wither in the 696 or the Skyview.."

With the Dynon Wi-Fi adaptor you can transfer flight plans from Foreflight on an iPad to and from Skyview with two finger touches. In flight you can modify either Skyview/Foreflight flight plans on one unit and send the update to the other unit. You can also select Direct to on SkyView and send it to Foreflight on the iPad for situational awareness.
   If you land and intend to fly the same route back home you can reverse it on Foreflight and simply send it to SkyView. Foreflight can update winds and you can see planned groundspeed as well as fuel burn based on the numbers you provide.
  The autopilot will fly the flight plan route whether you loaded it by hand or through the Wi-Fi adaptor.

Since Foreflight gets SkyView's GPS through the Wi-Fi you can utilize the Synthetic Vision feature on Foreflight on the iPad as well as get GPS speed and altitude info useful for back-up and situational awareness.

Certainly extremely helpful to plan a trip at home, and later at a hotel, and then uplink your route to SkyView really easily as well as have a modicum of back-up information as well as the sectional chart on the iPad.
   I upload the airplane's POH, User and Installation manuals in the documents area of Foreflight which is always handy to have on a trip.

Using the Dynon's to fly a flight plan will work.  The non touch screen version is clumsy getting AF/D and waypoint info.  When you fly flight plans out of the Dynons do you ignore your Garmin as a navigation tool?

No one can meet the 2020 mandate for ADS-B with a tablet or portable.

"Using the Dynon's to fly a flight plan will work.  The non touch screen version is clumsy getting AF/D and waypoint info.  When you fly flight plans out of the Dynons do you ignore your Garmin as a navigation tool?

No one can meet the 2020 mandate for ADS-B with a tablet or portable."

Not sure what you're going on about here. I replied to your earlier erroneous contention that you have to load flight plans into SkyViews by hand in order to take full advantage of them. I believe many are already taking full advantage, and I pointed out several of the advantages of using Foreflight with an iPad both during inflight planning and inflight. Using Wi-Fi together with Foreflight on the iPad is a very simple way to load and modify flight plans with a couple of finger pushes.

I plan to be fully 2020 ADSB compliant with my SkyView Touch in the very near future. I think iPads will continue to grow with many more aviation and avionic possibilities on the horizon. For now an excellent portable tool for flight planning and for backup situational awareness.

"Using the Dynon's to fly a flight plan will work.  The non touch screen version is clumsy getting AF/D and waypoint info.  When you fly flight plans out of the Dynons do you ignore your Garmin as a navigation tool?

No one can meet the 2020 mandate for ADS-B with a tablet or portable."

Not sure what you're going on about here. I replied to your earlier erroneous contention that you have to load flight plans into SkyViews by hand in order to take full advantage of them. I believe many are already taking full advantage, and I pointed out several of the advantages of using Foreflight with an iPad both during inflight planning and inflight. Using Wi-Fi together with Foreflight on the iPad is a very simple way to load and modify flight plans with a couple of finger pushes.

I plan to be fully 2020 ADSB compliant with my SkyView Touch in the very near future. I think iPads will continue to grow with many more aviation and avionic possibilities on the horizon. For now an excellent portable tool for flight planning and for backup situational awareness.

I never said you can't use the Dynon Skyview to enter a flight plan and fly it using the Dynon autopilot.   The Garmin 796 are best used to load and fly flight plans in CTs that have them.    The non-touch Skyviews use soft-keys to access the flight plan and waypoint info...I still think that is a clumsy interface. 

The Garmin 796 provides a fast and easy way to touch the flight plan waypoints (add, move, delete) and AF/D and frequencies during the flight.  The Garmin 796 allows frequencies to be automatically loaded into the GTN 255 radio from the 796.  Having the flight plan in the Skyview would not allow that capability.

I see Dynon has come out with a USB stick to provide a wireless upload from a tablet into the Skyview for flight plans....that's great.  In the FD the Skyview USB ports are inside the middle console.   There is no access to them unless you remove the center console cover panel.  I presume the wireless interface has a strong enough signal to work thru the console. 

If someone wanted to spend the money and effort to upgrade to touch Dynon's then that would eliminate the need for the Garmin 796.  But that seems like a lot of effort and money just to load a few waypoints into a flight plan which usually takes about a minute using the 796 touch interface (and gets you to the touch frequency loading I mentioned earlier).

Some may think they can use Stratus and a tablet to comply with ADS-B...they cannot.  Nor can anyone 'legally' use a tablet as a primary or backup PFD.  It is not allowed by the FAA.

I never said you can't use the Dynon Skyview to enter a flight plan and fly it using the Dynon autopilot.   The Garmin 796 are best used to load and fly flight plans in CTs that have them.    The non-touch Skyviews use soft-keys to access the flight plan and waypoint info...I still think that is a clumsy interface. 

The Garmin 796 provides a fast and easy way to touch the flight plan waypoints (add, move, delete) and AF/D and frequencies during the flight.  The Garmin 796 allows frequencies to be automatically loaded into the GTN 255 radio from the 796.  Having the flight plan in the Skyview would not allow that capability.

I see Dynon has come out with a USB stick to provide a wireless upload from a tablet into the Skyview for flight plans....that's great.  In the FD the Skyview USB ports are inside the middle console.   There is no access to them unless you remove the center console cover panel.  I presume the wireless interface has a strong enough signal to work thru the console. 

If someone wanted to spend the money and effort to upgrade to touch Dynon's then that would eliminate the need for the Garmin 796.  But that seems like a lot of effort and money just to load a few waypoints into a flight plan which usually takes about a minute using the 796 touch interface (and gets you to the touch frequency loading I mentioned earlier).

Some may think they can use Stratus and a tablet to comply with ADS-B...they cannot.  Nor can anyone 'legally' use a tablet as a primary or backup PFD.  It is not allowed by the FAA.

Just for the record (since you don't seem to understand):-

You previously said you have to manually load flight plans into SkyView and I replied that you can also do it via Wi-Fi. I do this all the time.

All the things you mention about the 796 are all done on my SkyView Touch.. add, move, insert, delete waypoints....you can also send the revised flight plan to Foreflight on your iPad in flight. You can also modify a flight plan on Foreflight and then send it to Skyview by Wi-Fi, as I mentioned before. 

Do you actually read posts before answering them?

SkyView  has the ability to select and load frequencies, I do it all the time. Pull up the Info for the airfield, select frequencies and select Tune and it puts the selected frequency into standby of my Garmin radio. Flip standby into active and select another frequency into standby. A few easy screen touches.

Dynon has had the Wi-Fi adaptor for quite a while. You can plug it into any USB port. I chose one in the rear. This is because in my airplane I have another USB available in front of me to install another memory stick which I remove more often for updates, screen shots etc.

Took about 5 minutes to unscrew Skyview and pop it in, then an easy configure. Signal strength is great and it works very well with Foreflight on my iPad. I haven't needed a 796 since SkyView already does it!

Lastly, in several posts you have replied repeatedly about the legalities of using a tablet for ADSB, backup PFD etc...don't know why since I've never even brought it up. I did however, say I use the iPad as a back up for situational awareness, but then you would have realised this if you had bothered to read the post before replying to it.

If I remember the ability to tune Garmin radio frequencies directly from SkyView may have only been introduced in SV-12.0 I just can't remember.

I forgot that FD hasn't approved all the latest firmware upgrades so maybe some FD owners don't have this feature yet.

My Rv-12 currently has SV 13.03 and today I double checked tuning frequencies from Skyview. I have SkyView Touch with ADSB and so if you select

MAP>INFO  the airport you want eg. KBNL...select frequencies and there's a list. if you selected the CTAF then hit AUTO TUNE at the bottom of screen it will put CTAF into standby. Flip frequencies over then select AWOS and put that into standby and you're set.

Today I loaded a flight plan directly from Forefilight on iPad then modified the iPad route by deleting a couple of way point then sent that to SkyView and it's instantaneous. Box comes up saying WiFi flight plan received and an audible alert too.

This is so much quicker than manually loading a flight plan but that is very straightforward too. However, for $35 the Wi-Fi is a good buy in my view.

The iPad is providing a lot of utility to LSA flying.

Archived