Senate PBOR2 Medical

gbigs

I have a 3rd class from a year ago but I disliked the Special Issuance intensely.  The packet I had to send them weighed 18 ounces!.  The delays were crazy and the fact that they took their delays out of my 12 months...I dropped down to the Self-Certified medical.    

I don't mind the restrictions of sport pilot all that much.   Look at how much flying all of you guys get in.   For me the big deal is finding rental aircraft.  Nearby here in silicon valley there are all kinds of Citabrias, Decathalons, C-150's.   But I only know of a single rental Champ --- and that will disappear as soon as somebody lands it hard.   So I've been making sacrifices to the AOPA gods this whole year.    Flying Cubs and Champs back in Ohio has been very educational and I'm grateful in a funny way for having been forced to accumulate serious hours on grass fields in tail draggers.   Now I'm ready to cash in with  Electrical system.   Radio.   Mixture control.  Flaps!  ... the mind reels!

We'll be riding out the winter re-reading Martha Lunken columns and crossing our fingers that he FAA adheres to the spirit of the law.

The FAA has a year to implement the reform.  And this was the accomplishment of GOP Senator and pilot Jim Inhofe.  So if thanks are to be made, make them to Jim.

Many believe this will kill the SLSA niche and shave value off existing owner's planes.  The logic being that is  many if not most who own and fly SLSA are pilots who lost their 3rd class medical and will return to the certified world.    And bring new market demand and higher prices to the Cessna/Piper/Beechcraft/Cirrus markets.

https://www.pilotsof...aircraft.96777/

Many believe this will kill the SLSA niche and shave value off existing owner's planes.  The logic being that is  many if not most who own and fly SLSA are pilots who lost their 3rd class medical and will return to the certified world.

Not true for private pilots with an expired 3rd class medical in excess of 10 years.  Those private pilots will still qualify for SLSA using a driver's license, but would be disqualified under the new rules.

The way I understand it you are grandfathered in if you have had a medical in the past ten years. After that it is only your own doctor, your license, and the online education.

Anyone who has not had a medical in the past ten years will need to get one to take advantage of the program. Of course nothing has been worked out by the FAA yet so the exact details are unknown.

(Some people are sounding like they can go out and do this tomorrow. The FAA has been given a year to implement this.)

The way I understand it you are grandfathered in if you have had a medical in the past ten years. After that it is only your own doctor, your license, and the online education.

Anyone who has not had a medical in the past ten years will need to get one to take advantage of the program. Of course nothing has been worked out by the FAA yet so the exact details are unknown.

(Some people are sounding like they can go out and do this tomorrow. The FAA has been given a year to implement this.)

If I get a medical tomorrow I can enjoy my ppl privileges starting tomorrow.  The FAA can have their year to implement, all the same to me.

The way I read this if I want to go beyond light sport, I will have to get a medical every 10 years. Is that how you guys read it? WF

(2) the individual holds a medical certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration on the date of enactment of this Act, held such a certificate at any point during the 10-year period preceding such date of enactment, or obtains such a certificate after such date of enactment;

It looks to me that if you have not had a medical for more than 10 years prior you will need to get a medical. If you have held one within that time you are good to go. I didn't see a requirement for repeated 10 year medicals. Just one initial if you don't meet the requirements I quoted above.

Rulemaking will certainly give us clarity until then we get to speculate  :)

I don't think you'll be good to go as in fly with PP privileges once the regs are in place (or the 1 year passes).  You would be good to go to be part of the group of pilots that can avoid going to an AME, though.

The PBOR2 law states that a PP would need to take an online course every two years and a have a medical exam with the physician of their choice.  Since none of us medical lapsed PPs have done so, we will need to take the online course and have the non-AME physical before we can exercise our PP privileges.  I would doubt the content for the course or the exact form for our physicians will be complete when the regs are (hopefully) enacted in less than a year.  Assume several weeks after the 1 year time or the regs are put in place before we can start this brave new world.

Rulemaking will certainly give us clarity until then we get to speculate  :)

I don't think you'll be good to go as in fly with PP privileges once the regs are in place (or the 1 year passes).  You would be good to go to be part of the group of pilots that can avoid going to an AME, though.

The PBOR2 law states that a PP would need to take an online course every two years and a have a medical exam with the physician of their choice.  Since none of us medical lapsed PPs have done so, we will need to take the online course and have the non-AME physical before we can exercise our PP privileges.  I would doubt the content for the course or the exact form for our physicians will be complete when the regs are (hopefully) enacted in less than a year.  Assume several weeks after the 1 year time or the regs are put in place before we can start this brave new world.

The act that was signed into law has the requirements for the exam. It has provisions I believe it also has provisions for pilots to start flying 1 year from the date it was signed into law regardless if the FAA has completed the new rules. this is because the FAA has proven they will not follow congresses mandates.

The proof is that congress mandated the FAA have the new part 23 rules re-write completed quite some time ago, and it still has happened.

Kind of.  Here is the actual law: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/636/text#toc-H04F79505CBE84ADABBEB9BA55380AF26

The salient section for inaction:

Prohibition On Enforcement Actions.—Beginning on the date that is 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator may not take an enforcement action for not holding a valid third-class medical certificate against a pilot of a covered aircraft for a flight if the pilot and the flight meet, through a good faith effort, the applicable requirements under subsection (a), except paragraph (5) of that subsection, unless the Administrator has published final regulations in the Federal Register under that subsection.

Section (a) is the medical portion of the law.  It specifies what needs to go on a form for a physician to sign and review with the pilot.  I would assume the FAA will come up with an official form at some point after the regulation is final.  If they haven't done this within one-year I suppose one could create the form specified in the law and ask their physician to fill it out since it does specify "good faith effort".  You are exempted from the online course in this case, though. (that's paragraph 5).

I would doubt the content for the course or the exact form for our physicians will be complete when the regs are (hopefully) enacted in less than a year. Assume several weeks after the 1 year time or the regs are put in place before we can start this brave new world.

Is there not language in it that if the FAA drags their feet, after one year they will be impotent to take enforcement action against pilots who fly with a d/l?

edited to add: S3flyer just covered that above. Thanks.

Archived