Setting the Parking Brake One-Handed

twmatthias

This question is an attempt to clarify the possible procedures for setting the parking brake.

Yes, I know it seems obvious, but there is a slight wrinkle in my ability to do this with the lap/shoulder belts adjusted snugly. I have to have the seat in the fully forward position as I have shorter legs and arms. With the seat forward and shoulder harness adjusted snugly, it restricts the ability of my left arm to cross-over my (somewhat prodigious) body to simultaneously operate the off/on brake toggle as I pull back on the brake lever.

It will be another week or so before my next lesson. In the meantime, I was wondering if one can successfully set the parking brake by rotating the toggle to the "on" position first, then pull the parking brake to to set it "on"? Will that (single handed) procedure successfully set the brake? If so, will doing it that way cause any damage or premature wear in the braking system controls?

Also, I wonder if I can use this technique to stop and set the parking brake when arriving at the run-up area. That would mean one pull of the brake lever to stop at the run-up area, followed by a quick "release brake, set toggle to "on" then second brake pull to set".

Of course, my other option is to keep my shoulder/lap belts somewhat slack until just before take-off. Somehow that feels less safe when taxiing! I will speak with my instructor about this before my next lesson, but I wanted to tap the experience of this forum before discussing it.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge/advice for this humble newbie!

Theo

" I was wondering if one can successfully set the parking brake by rotating the toggle to the "on" position first, then pull the parking brake to to set it "on"? Will that (single handed) procedure successfully set the brake?"

"Also, I wonder if I can use this technique to stop and set the parking brake when arriving at the run-up area. "

Yes and Yes

Most times I only fasten my seatbelt during my taxi out. I do all my cockpit pre takeoff procedures and then put on my shoulder harness.

This is a personal preference and between you and your instructor. Hopefully he's flexible. Some aren't. It's my way or the HWY, but there is always more than one way to skin the cat.

Not sure why anyone wants to skin a cat. They taste horrible. Not like chicken at all.  :fainting-1344: 

Now rabbit is a different story.  :) 

In most CT setups, they have a check valve (or funtionally similar mechanism) that works as described. Turn on parking brake, pressurize. You can pull lightly to get it to come to a stop, then pull a little harder to lock them without turning it off.

Be advised, it's possible to jam the system if you strong arm the lever and apply too much pressure. To fix: make sure parking brake is set to off, and apply and release the brake lever harder and harder until brakes release.

Don't use the parking brake in the hangar or on a tie-down, use chocks/tie downs only..the parking brake should only be used in startup and runup.

The sequence goes something like this...  You can either not put on the seat belt at all until ready for takeoff, or put the seat belt on but leave left shoulder belt off until ready for takeoff   1. set the parking brake before starting   2. unset parking brake and taxi to runup   3. set parking brake and do runup  4. unset parking brake and put on seat belt (or pull up left shoulder belt) and taxi to hold short ready for takeoff.

I'm with Theo.  My left arm extender is just a tad too short to pull back on the brake when the lap/shoulder belts are fastened.  This is very good news to know that a one handed application is doable.  Always amazed by what I learn in this list.  Can't wait to try it.

Danny

Glad my newbie question didn't embarrass me in front of you pros!

I will speak with my CFI about this before our next flight. After several lessons, my opinion of his knowledge and teaching style couldn't be more glowing. I'm hoping that he'll be open to these alternatives after he verifies their operation!

Thank you all for the benefit of your wisdom and experience,

Theo

I'm confused. I set the brake switch position to on and then pull the lever a couple times to pressurize. All right handed. Is there another way you're supposed to do it?

That is the way to do it.  But that only works if you are on a flat surface and the prop is not moving the plane while you take your hand off the brake long enough to slide the parking brake switch and then pull on the brake the couple of times to juice it up. 

Again, if you are taxiing to runup and stop and need to set the parking brake to do mag checks the safest way is to use two hands and you can do that easily if the left shoulder belt is off while you do it.  Then do the mag check and return to idle and unset the parking brake and keep your right hand on the brake while you use your left hand to return your left shoulder belt.

That is the way to do it. But that only works if you are on a flat surface and the prop is not moving you and you are totally still with no chance of moving while you take your hand off the brake long enough to slide the parking brake switch and then pull on the brake the couple of times to juice it up.

Again, if you are taxiing to runup and stop and need to set the parking brake to do mag checks the safest way is to use two hands and you can do that easily if the left shoulder belt is off while you do it. Then do the mag check and return to idle and unset the parking brake and keep your right hand on the brake while you use your left hand to return your left shoulder belt.

I disagree with this whole thing.

It does work with the engine running and I see no safety issues doing it that way.

I'm confused. I set the brake switch position to on and then pull the lever a couple times to pressurize. All right handed. Is there another way you're supposed to do it?

I have always done it by pulling the handle, then setting the valve while holding the pressure with the handle.  Apparently either way works, which I didn't know until this thread.  It always made sense to me to pressurize, then set the valve to hold the pressure.  I didn't realize there was a one-way valve in there.  

I only wear the lap portion of the safety belt until I'm ready to take off.  Putting on the shoulder harness is on my pre-takeoff checklist.

Wearing the shoulder harness on the ground interferes with several things.  I took the advice of my instructor/airline captain and leave it off until I'm ready for takeoff.

For what it's  worth I always use the one handed method for setting the brake. It is easier to concentrate on what is happening outside the cockpit when you don't have to reach across with the other hand and you can see better when not crossed up. I switch the valve on before arriving at the stopping point by a few seconds then pull the handle to stop when ready, this also proves enough brake is applied to hold it. Very important when I taxi up to my hangar door.

For what it's worth I always use the one handed method for setting the brake. It is easier to concentrate on what is happening outside the cockpit when you don't have to reach across with the other hand and you can see better when not crossed up. I switch the valve on before arriving at the stopping point by a few seconds then pull the handle to stop when ready, this also proves enough brake is applied to hold it. Very important when I taxi up to my hangar door.

That is my method also except the door threatened is my neighbors.

Folks,

I contacted Flight Design about this issue to get their take on the procedure. Here's the email I sent to them:

Dear Flight Design,

I am wondering if applying the parking brake in the following one-handed manner is an acceptable procedure.

1. Turn-on the parking brake toggle;
2. Pull aft on the brake lever to set the brake.

Are there any mechanical, hydraulic or safety issues to consider when performing the procedure in this manner?

Thanks in advance,

Theo

I received a response almost immediately from a Flight Design Technical Advisor:

Theo,

That is actually the way I always apply the parking brake.  I'll explain how it works just so you know.  There were two different systems.  The original employed a simple on-off valve, with a check valve in parallel.  So if you turned the valve to off (parking brake on), the fluid would flow through the check valve and then be blocked from returning, thereby maintaining pressure in the brake lines.  The new system is a check valve which can be disengaged.  When you turn the parking brake on, the check valve is active, so fluid can only flow in one direction.  When you turn the parking brake off, the check valve becomes a pass-through.

In either system, it is perfectly alright to set the brake and then pull the lever.

Thank you,

Arian Foldan

Technical Advisor
Flight Design USA
www.flightdesignusa.com

So, I will see what my CFI thinks about this at my flight lesson tomorrow afternoon!

Theo

• 2 weeks later...

While doing touch and goes I discovered this 'feature' for the first time. I landed and as the plane slowed, the nose pitched down some and then the slowing got really pronounced. Finally the plane just ground to a halt and I notified the tower that it looked like my nose wheel was either flat or damaged. They closed the airport and sent a tow truck. I shut the engine down and got out to assess the damage. To my surprise, no damage, the nose wheel looked fine and so did the mains. (???) I looked back inside the cabin and there was the parking lever about 1/3 engaged. I flipped it off and voila, the plane rolled fine. So my face was red as I explained to the tow guys and the tower that it was my parking brake inadvertently applied.

Now my landing checklist includes "parking brake off". Its sort of like the "heels on the floor" reminder during my training. Hope this helps someone.....

Archived