Custom Matco Axle Shims

My plane's tires lean out pretty far too, and the toe in was worse on one side vs. the other. I put the whole axle in the mill and machined off just a little in two directions and it came out nice (basically matches the other side- though they both still have the lean out, at least the toe in is real close now). I just eyeballed it in the mill and got lucky, your system is far more precise.. good on you for doing a nice job.

My plane's tires lean out pretty far too, and the toe in was worse on one side vs. the other. I put the whole axle in the mill and machined off just a little in two directions and it came out nice (basically matches the other side- though they both still have the lean out, at least the toe in is real close now). I just eyeballed it in the mill and got lucky, your system is far more precise.. good on you for doing a nice job.

Nothing wrong with that method, I'm just not enough of a machinist to grind the axles precisely enough without ruining them. I know my limitations!

Update...I pulled the plane out at taxied it. First off, the plane is easier to roll by hand now, which I take as a great sign.

I put chalk all over the treads, but after a couple hundred yards, when we stopped the chalk was 100% gone. No help there, but at least there were no areas that had chalk left, which could indicate little or no tread contact in those areas. Overall a neutral sign.

The airplane *might* be a little more wander-y in taxi, but not sure it that's my imagination. Toe in tends to make a vehicle track with more stability, so it might be a good thing as long as it doesn't go into toe out and squirrelly behavior. We did some quick measuring, and the wheels seem pretty neutral, which is the goal.

Tomorrow I will do a high speed taxi down the runway, then a flight test if that goes well.

Update...I pulled the plane out at taxied it. First off, the plane is easier to roll by hand now, which I take as a great sign.

I put chalk all over the treads, but after a couple hundred yards, when we stopped the chalk was 100% gone. No help there, but at least there were no areas that had chalk left, which could indicate little or no tread contact in those areas. Overall a neutral sign.

The airplane *might* be a little more wander-y in taxi, but not sure it that's my imagination. Toe in tends to make a vehicle track with more stability, so it might be a good thing as long as it doesn't go into toe out and squirrelly behavior. We did some quick measuring, and the wheels seem pretty neutral, which is the goal.

Tomorrow I will do a high speed taxi down the runway, then a flight test if that goes well.

Great news. I can believe it being slightly less "stable" just as you stated about toe in and tracking. But the trade off as you are very aware is better tire wear.... and.... in theory a shorter take off roll! excessive toe in is going to create some drag.

Something interesting about toe in vs toe out.. on a tail dragger, a little toe out isn't as "bad"(not optimal) as it might be on a nose dragger. If the plane starts to come around heading for a ground loop on a tail dragger, the weight obviously shifts to the outside tire which if it has a bit of toe out, is pointing more so in the direction you want it to- to recover, than it would be with toe in.... kinda of interesting.

I'm just not enough of a machinist to grind the axles precisely enough without ruining them

I'm barely enough of a machinist to pull it off. I figured I'd have to make 2 cuts at least. Made the first, went and checked and it was so close I figured I better stop there  :lol:

For aircraft, there's advantages and disadvantages to either one, and has been the subject of many debates.

In cars, there is more to it that firmly plants the toe choice in one camp or the other. Is it front or rear wheel drive? Are we toeing the front or rear wheels? etc.

:D That's worse than mine.

Hopefully not anymore!  :)

My airplane definitely has less rolling resistance now, which I take as a good sign.  I can pull the airplane along and if I let go it just keeps rolling.  And the taxi speed at idle has increased; on a flat surface at idle my airplane used to roll along at 18-20kt, now it rolls at about 25kt.  So better tire wear, worse brake wear.  :P

One nagging question, that I'm sure has occurred to you...

Do you think your plane was delivered that far off, or perhaps something else in the gear has been knocked out of alignment and you're just compensating for it?

As an aside, the designers of the Sky Arrow apparently did not adequately consider the lighter weight of the LSA version, causing the tires to have excessive positive camber and roll on the outside edges. They realized the problem, and shipped axle shims that were installed free of charge by my dealer. At 435 hours or so, I'm on my second set of tires, Desser "Monster" retreads that are wearing like iron.

No great photos, but the shim is on the left here:

7425278334_fa2e119d63.jpg

Eddie, I have wondered, but there is no way to know for sure.  My right wingtip does sit about 1-2" lower than the left, but that is common for CTs.  Any hard landing event that may have caused problems must have been done by the previous owner (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)...

Honestly, I think my setup was just not right from the factory.  To be as far out as it is/was is both axes, if it was pilot induced it probably would have bent, wrinkled, or cracked something.  I've been over the whole gear/wheel/brake assembly thoroughly and everything appears straight and undamaged.  No to mention the gear feels pretty tight with no slop or mush like you'd get with significant damage.  

I have landed on somewhat rough grass strips with no issues, which would have probably highlighted any issues.  Hell, at Oshkosh they taxied me around the entire airport on the worst, roughest surfaces I've ever seen and nothing broke.  :)

Archived