Sodemo V Twin Aero engine from Sodemo.com

procharger

Just offhand, depending on how one describes "catastrophic cylinder failure" and "full power", that would seem to go from difficult to impossible to meet.

Why? Well, just the loss of that cylinder in a 4 cylinder engine would drop the power by 25%, so there goes your full power regardless. And many cylinder failures lead to oil loss, and without oil an engine will seize in very short order.

I'd love to see the test that you're referring to, if you can find a link.

I'm sure it means, leaving the throttle at 100% and getting all there is after a "cylinder failure", improperly worded perhaps

But I too would like to know more about this. What constitutes a "cylinder failure" ?

Best, most extreme example I can think of would be a radial engine.. I know in war time a lot of those would lose a cylinder.. as in shot completely off.. rod just slinging out in the breeze. And they survived that type of stuff surprisingly well. But that doesn't apply to most of the stuff we all fly I'm guessing.

Regardless though, there are a lot of car engines in planes flying well. They didn't do any special catastrophic testing. The test is that they fly regularly. And for the price you pay for a used Rotax in an airplane it's really hard for me to imagine flying something else.. building it new, and paying those prices I might look into other options.. depends on the plane and weight capability too.

Archived